Kitchen utensils for people with nothing

I'm going to be living alone soon and my parents brought me up on fast foods and microwave shit so I don't know much about cooking. What utensils do I need?

I have a microwave, rice cooker and pic related so far that were all on sale. I have a budget of about £600/$800USD so don't mention Japanese folded meme knifes because I am a poorfag. Thanks. Also should I not buy Teflon brand pans? I've lurked enough to know they get shit on by Veeky Forums but not lurked long enough to know why.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-av6cz9upO0
youtube.com/watch?v=1AxLzMJIgxM
amazon.com/Joseph-10463-Elevate-Carousel-Rotating/dp/B00R86CVU6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512917128&sr=8-2&keywords=josephjoseph+cooking+utensil&th=1
m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/20343648/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

do you have an oven/stove?

its fine to get a teflon frying pan or two considering you have all those pans

The house has one of these things (pic related) built into the kitchen counter, I don't know what they're called but I don't have an oven. When I moved in and work out the dimensions of spaces to put the oven in then I will buy one.

Second hand stores are the way to go. Teflon is fine if you cook a lot of eggs. Otherwise go for stainless steel. You probably dont even really need a frying pan. Looks like the stuff in your pic should do fine on the stove.
Dont worry about knives. Just get a cheap chefs knive and youll be fine.

Not having an oven sucks but a gas range is great.
About those pots in the OP. What are they made of?

I'll pick up a Teflon pan then, they are on sale at my local store. I do cook a lot of eggs. Is there a difference between frying pans made out of steel(stainless), cast iron or ceramic?

My parents used to have the exact same pan. Didn't know they even existed anymore.

>teflon
Teflon is fine. It's not the greatest quality and it has a relatively short lifespan, but it's cheap, easy and low maintenance. If you end up not liking it it's not a big loss either. You have to realize that the loud minority of Veeky Forums only cares about appearance and status, not about actual cooking, so don't take them too seriously.

If you can afford it, try to get most things stainless. It's the most versatile and robust and not even that expensive. They're not so much non-stick perhaps, but there's more to cooking than non-stick. You can always keep a teflon skillet around for that.

youtube.com/watch?v=-av6cz9upO0

Google translate says enameled steel but the image of under the pan says ceramic

Just get some cheap basics with a fraction of your money and buy more utensils only when you need them.
Like the user above said, a cheap chefs knife will do 90% of your cutting needs, maybe also get a pairing knife if you feel like spending a bit more.
Teflons fine for most stuff, just be sure you to take care of the coating, later youll want to fall for the cast iron meme or get a ss pan.
Other stuff should include a spatula, a big enough cutting board and meassuring cups/scale

kek

You dont want to cook acidic foods in cast iron. Stainless and enamaled are better for that. Since you have enamaled id say skip the stainless and go for a cast iron pan. Ideally you'll want one of each but its not necessary.
Same thing. Enamaled means it has a ceramic coating.

Yes but functionally no. Just get stainless steel right now, cast iron is usually expensive and lasts but requires a bit of maintenance. Ceramic is decent but least durable seeing as you are poorfag stay away from both right now unless you find a good second hand one. Teflon gets shit because any metal utensils fuck up the non-stick for good. Only use rubber in non-stick. Look up chili as a good recipe to have on hand that is simple and easy and doesn't require an oven. As for knifes go cheap but also see if you can find a stone to sharpen it. And the burners are called a range or range top.

Oh, and make sure you get wood and plastic utinsals. You dont want to use metal on that ceramic.

lol, he's trolling you dope, ceramic clearly means for use on ceramic stove. It's listed on there among the other stove types.

facepalm.gif

get a heavy skillet

Cast Iron is good for braising, frying, and oven use. It's not a good material for general stove use.
I would recommend getting one non-stick pan and pot but ss and a can of pam will get you 95% of the way there.
Get a cheap set of bamboo cooking utensils.
Get a chef knife (10"-12") and a paring knife. Don't spend more than 50$.
Measuring cup & spoons.
A cheap set of mixing bowls.
A kitchen scale.
A whisk.

Don't buy anything else until you feel like you need it.

>gas - induction - ceramic - electric
>yeah, let's ignore the context and assume ceramic means the type of pan
Enameled may be technically (autistically) considered ceramic, but in cooking lingo ceramic means the new non-stick coating, not enameled.

Now you know, dope.

I would recommend you get a silicone spatula/scraper, a silicone flipper, a flat whisk, and a few big wooden grandma spoons.
Also get some mixing bowls that nest together.
You should have a frying pan (I recommend stainless) and a 3 quart pot (also stainless). The pot you have is pretty good, it'll be handy when you want to cook a big batch of something but it's going to be too big for cooking something for yourself.

Get a big cutting board. Make sure it will fit on your countertop, but too big is always better than too small. Try and get one with a groove for catching juices. Veeky Forums will argue into the night about what material to get, but plastic is the easiest to take care of and can go in the dishwasher.

Do not buy fancy knives. You do not need them at this stage. Chicago Cutlery is a cheap but solid brand your nearest store probably has. You will need a sharpener. I recommend a LeBeau Honer.
>b-b-b-but pull-thru
Fuck off it's a $10 knife.

Teflon/nonstick pans are bad because the coating will eventually wear off over time. Even if you baby it, hand-wash it like you're supposed to, only use plastic utensils, it WILL start to flake eventually. And then you'll be eating teflon in any food you cook with it.
DuPont says teflon is non-reactive and you just shit it out, but nobody really wants to eat that shit just to be sure.
In any case, the only thing a nonstick pan is really useful for is 1) eggs and 2) pancakes, and you don't really need an egg pan, just get Pam and spray your stainless down really well.

Not as much difference as you'd think. For a new cook I'd just get stainless. Cast iron's big pro is heat retention and emission. It's thick and heavy so you can get it super hot and it browns foods really nicely. It's also oven-safe, but so is stainless so long as you get stainless without plastic handles.

One more thing:
Someone will jump down my throat for posting Babish but his actual educational videos are good and he has one on basic tools.
youtube.com/watch?v=1AxLzMJIgxM

Thanks, I'll pick up the teflon pan while it's still on sale and start looking up stainless steel stuff. I'm sure the steel stuff will be on sale soon because Christmas/New Years is coming up. Also thanks for the link, it was helpful.

If I use rubber utensils in hot non-stick pans, will I melt it? Would I be better off using wooden spoons instead?

I've had cheap CHEAP plastic tools melt, but silicone will not. My silicone utensils go up to 300 C/575 F. If the label doesn't say what temperature it can handle, avoid it.

I won't buy plastic stuff then.

Pic related pans, I've seen them with glass lids with holes and ones with steel lids with no holes. What's the difference here?

Ya decent silicone/plastic is great. Bamboo is cheaper but lacks flexibility.

I have this set which I really like
amazon.com/Joseph-10463-Elevate-Carousel-Rotating/dp/B00R86CVU6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512917128&sr=8-2&keywords=josephjoseph+cooking+utensil&th=1

You can always just look at ATK recommendations. They are usually pretty solid.

ABSOLUTELY do not buy ss cookware with any plastic/silicone parts.
The hole allows steam to escape to prevent the glass from rattling and possible breaking.

The hole helps keep stuff from boiling over, also helps keep the lid from rattling. IMO holes/no holes shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

P.S., don't buy a set of pans if you can help it. Like that set you posted is a saute pan and FIVE pots.. You only need the pan, the biggest pot, and a 2-3qt pot. The rest of them are going to collect dust.
If you get into making big ass meals for guests and stuff you can get more cookware when you get to that point.

Hey you. When I was talking about cheap plastic?

>NYLON
That's what I mean by cheap plastic, avoid this shit. 200C/392F, this will melt on the bottom of a hot skillet.

What is ss cookware and if the handles are made out of plastic, should I avoid those too?

I will avoid the cheap plastics.
>FIVE pots
Thanks, I watched the youtube link up above and it also mentioned that you only need 1 big pot and a small/medium one. I'll buy each pot individually instead of giant sets.

SS - Calphalon tri-ply
Iron - Tramontina
Non-Stick - T-Fal

Cooking Utensils - Di Oro
pns/bowls/cookie sheets - Vollrath
Glass - Pyrex (vintage if possible)
Ceramic - Corningware

I would say those are the brands to look for in your budget. They aren't the best of the best but are all solid for general home use.

Get a simple big teflon wok like this
m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/20343648/
Can fry things like eggs or meats
Can fry big meals like fried rice or big portion of pasta sauce

With a big wok and a pan to cook pasta/rice you can make pretty much any common dish.

Looks like thin, cheap junk

SS - All Clad
Iron - De Buyer
Non-Stick - Matfer Bourgeat

You only really need two of those pots. Also dont get any with plastic or rubber or even wood handles. You want to be able to put those iln the oven.