What are some books that are cozy and also great reads?

What are some books that are cozy and also great reads?

Gormenghast

The Magic Mountain.

Robinson Crusoe.

More suggestions please

a book that describes exactly your picture is jerome k. jerome's "idle thoughts of an idle fellow," but his most well-known book is "three men in a boat." not great literature, but comfy reading.

wodehouse is also someone i find extraordinarily relaxing and easy to read.

Isn't Hemingway good for this?

Suttree. But only read if you can stand that heavy feeling of deep loneliness in your heart.

no

Most Dickens

He's lying

Melville is the comfiest writer around

Yes, the Collected Stories is very comfy, in particular Nick Adams stories like Up in Michigan and Big Two-Hearted River.

Very recently discovered a volume I'm enjoying:

>American Sea Writing: A Literary Anthology,
edited by Peter Neill (Library of America 2000)

From what I've read so far, it's an unusually well-edited, strong anthology. Very comfy stuff.

Can we get the ultimate /comfycore/ canon going?

Little, Big.

While the moon smoothly shifted the shadows from one side of Edgewood to the other, Daily Alice dreamed that she stood in a flower-starred field where on a hill there grew an oak tree and a thorn in deep embrace, their branches intertwined like fingers. Far down the hall, Sophie dreamed that there was a tiny door in her elbow, open a crack, through which the wind blew, blowing on her heart. Dr. Drinkwater dreamed he sat before his typewriter and wrote this: 'There is an aged, aged insect who lives in a hole in the ground. One June he puts on his summer straw, and takes his pipe and his staff and his lamp in half his hands, and follows the worm and the root to the stair that leads up to the door into blue summer.' This seemed immensely significant to him, but when he awoke he wouldn't be able to remember a word of it, try as he might. Mother beside him dreamed her husband wasn't in his study at all, but with her in the kitchen, where she drew tin cookie-sheets endlessly out of the oven; the baked things on them were brown and round, and when he asked her what they were, she said 'Years'.

Never let me go
The virgin suicides
Mason and Dixon
The remains of the day

came to post this

NYRB paperbacks are good for this.
>Stoner
>Skylark
>The Door
>The Invention of Morel

Also Steinbeck's novellas, Murakami's short stories, and Salinger's shorter works

The Secret History by Dona Tartt is usually regarded as comfycore.

Moby Dick

Forgot to mention Winesburg, Ohio.
Probably the comfiest book I've read, It's like Dubliners but American and comfier

Seconding this

The Wind in the Willows

Rumo and his miraculous adventures

thirding this

swiss family robinson
howl's moving castle
Dragonflight

fourth...ding? this

Goodnight Moon

the three musketeers

fifth-ing (no not the same guy I just want a comfy canon ya feel me?)