How the FUCK do you keep your focus on what you're reading?

How the FUCK do you keep your focus on what you're reading?

I swear I feel like I have undiagnosed ADHD.

you probably do have, but it doesn't really matter.

Try reading with audiobooks. This has helped me a lot.

same problem.
i recently got a kindle, and its helped a lot. less words to a page has made it easier for me not losing my place or getting distracted by the text in my peripheral vision.
you should try it

Stop smoking weed/playing vidya/whatever other high intensity activity you're doing. Your brain will slow down too.
No source for this or anything, just experience.

Your attitude towards absorbing knowledge has not cultivated into a passion. Sort yourself out.

Which kindle? Paperwhite? If so, I'm thinking about getting it.

for books i find trouble not skimming through, i read the words aloud. kinda fun and only moderately autistic

You probably spend most of your life on the internet and your ability to pay attention has been severely atrophied. It's not ADHD.

Long form reading is the antithesis to whatever you're doing right now. If you want to get to the point of being able to read a lot, just put yourself into a good space without distraction, whether that be a coffee shop or library or whatever, turn your phone off, and just read books that you enjoy. Just take time every day to read and spend time away from technology. Your life will be a lot better for it.

You're just a kid of the internet age, used to condensed information and new things every few seconds.

Books are from a time were you just sat in a room all winter long with nothing to do but read once you got tired of fucking your wife and boozing.

It takes time. Just grind the pages out and you will get better.

Read more. Meditate.

Apply yourself and it will get easier. Also, the more effort you put forth, the more you'll be engaged in the text and the more you'll even enjoy it. This means looking up words you don't know or would like more clarity than just their context; this means researching the references to this, that, or the other as they might appear in a book; this means breaking down a long, awkward sentence into parts -- by hand on paper, or perhaps on a computer -- so that you can follow the clauses correctly.

Reading is not always "dude just down for 4 hours and read 200 pages lmao". It can be hard. And you can have tough times. But it gets easier if you don't limit yourself.

>audiobooks
>reading

Why do you bother writing troll posts?

I sometimes use audio books when I can't concentrate while also reading. I'm guessing that it will help me focus more. I think it's kind of working.

Just read before you go to bed m8. If you're having trouble paying attention it might also because what you're reading simply isn't engaging enough.

What worked best for me was to stop using my computer and meditate/walk. The internet will completely destroy your attention span if you don't use it correctly.
Take a break from it, exercise, eat healthy, get enough sleep and gradually you'll notice you can pay more attention to basically everything.

I'm about to start meditating, how often do you do it and how long? Also, have you noticed an improvement in your concentration?

Listen to the other advice here regarding the internet and the shorter attention span that comes with excessive use of it. But if you feel like me and do not want to spend less time on internet or other "more intense" stuff you could do instead, try listening to music whilst reading. I have to put on headphones with whatever fucking music I want to listen to (most of the time I listen to albums I've never listened to before) and then I'm able to focus on the written text much better. I guess my (our) brain(s) just got so used to having multiple inputs at one time so it's actually easier to focus. Sometimes when a certain part is really boring or too unchallenging the music can be distracting, but most of the time it just acts as a background noise.

Do you listen to ambient sounds?

I like reading with music, too, but after an hour or so the sensory input becomes overwhelming and I have to take my headphones off to read in silence. The same sort of thing happens when I browse the internet for too long. It's like my brain just gets overloaded.

I tried various kinds of audio-input, but neither ambient sounds nor classical music work for me, even though that seems like the first thing that comes to mind when it comes to music for concentration.

For now I always listen to Rock/ Punk (Metal/ Core) because that's what gives me the best feels (and it's easy to ignore the lyrics), so I guess just try to listen to your favorite type of music?

Hey OP.
If you have a fan start it near you.
That way the retarded part of your attention will be focused on the monotonous noise.
Now you can read your book in peace.

Let me guess, you either get tired, or keep getting distracted from the text by either a difficult word or a different thought?

Eat better, exercise, tend to your responsibilities more. Reading requires a lot of excess energy from the reader.

Drink more water. Cut out sugar. TONS more water, but not to an unhealthy degree of course. Make sure your brain is getting enough oxygen, get up and walk around every 15 to 20 minutes. Will help you concentrate better and longer. Rest is just actually doing it. You should be taking a break every 20 minutes while you read anyway to look at something 20 feet away for I forgot how long so as not to strain your eyes. You can use that time to think about what you've just read as well. Good luck OP.