4.3/5 on goodreads

>4.3/5 on goodreads
>4.6/5 on amazon
>12.5 thousand customer reviews
>universally despised on Veeky Forums

How do you people, who so pride yourselves on your supposedly refined palettes, defend your abysmally shitty taste?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/6759.Infinite_Jest?ac=1&from_search=true
amazon.com/Infinite-Jest-David-Foster-Wallace/dp/0316066524/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501314051&sr=8-1&keywords=infinite jest
twitter.com/donniemnemonic/status/889215615717605376
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So it's like the Wal-Mart of literature?

0/10 bait

Saged

i have no idea what that is, I dont read genre trash

it's ready player one

What are we talking about, Big Macs?

thats a popular novel about a video game that is supposed to become a movie right?

Defense is pic related you semen sucking cultural populist

just in order to be clear: the last line was targeted at OP, who is a faggot

Who wrote this?

schopenhauer

I feel like I've been practicing that instinctually most of my life

that is the most smug elitist drivel I have ever read in my life, and I feel sorry that you genuinely believe it.

he's right in one respect: life is short. That's why people spend time reading thing they enjoy instead of wasting a large part of their time and a small amount of their money trying to do something dull to convince themselves that they're better than everyone around them

It would have been a better use of your time to simply type "I am a pleb"

you must save so much money performing your own prostate exams

you realize that you just confessed to being proud that you don't read, right?

Every person who reads this reply is going to feel awkward for you. I hope you catch up with them.

Why would they? You read it so it must be wonderful

All these flies eating shit cant' be wrong etc, etc.

> That's why people spend time reading thing they enjoy instead of wasting a large part of their time and a small amount of their money trying to do something dull to convince themselves that they're better than everyone around them
Wow, I have never been this irritated by a post about reading for pleasure.

retardation

Reddit: The post

agree

>one day I'll be more popular than Hegel and my mom.
but as far as this thread is concerned, he's absolutely right.

Requesting the comic of the neckbeard who acknowledges objective quality in furniture, music, movies, but not literature.

that is the most smug pleb drivel I've read in my life.

plebs will call any behavior they don't understand elitism.

They also call anything they enjoy 'good' and refuse to qualify that calling at all.

I fucking love it when I see someone so retarded they truly believe it's impossible that there are people out there who truly enjoy dense literature and aren't just pretending. It happens every day without fail. Sometimes I feel bad for people like you, honestly. You're not intelligent enough to get anything out of something difficult but, at the same time, you're convinced that nobody could possibly be more intelligent than you are. So, instead of excepting your place, you try to convince others that nobody could enjoy that elitist garbage, they're just trying to look intellectual! Right? Go back.

That is how Veeky Forums is and has been since ever. I come to this site to read about controversive stuff and to get away from mainstream media and opinions. You have to work out yourself what's important and what's not, that's what makes it interesting.

For the record, I don't doubt that there are people who enjoy it. God knows my tastes run against the grain. But where the fuck does someone like you get off telling the vast majority of people that their sense of aesthetic is wrong and that your minority preference is objectively correct? Not only is that narcissistic, it's incredibly stupid and given that you equate taste with intelligence it's hypocritical as well.

you're a fucking imbecile and I don't want people like you deciding what fiction will be remembered by future generations as a "classic" because you're contributing to entire generations who grow up hating reading and critical thinking

>ledditor butthurt that his shitty 'i read trendy books for pleasure' ideology got 360 Schopscoped right in front of him

I never read the book but that shot in the trailer really wow me with the music and everything. I dunno it just worked.

Yeah, please go back, you reek of it.

>trusting doxa

Go drink hemlock

Way to willfully misinterpret what was said and take the discussion off into a direction you're comfortable with so you can regurgitate some trite, irrelevant bullshit. It has nothing to do with objective quality, it has to do with how it's immediately assumed, by anyone who couldn't understand it, that the fans of the work are pretending. Pretty words my man, but that strawman of yours was heated to death years ago.

*beaten
If that wasn't obvious

oh, I was hoping this thread was about the iron man by Ted Hughes which is an absolute god tier children's book.

god, I can't even fake it. I cannot muster up the attempt to read popular books until years after they're a mainstream interest. It's not even intentional.

Doesn't happen with movies tho. I get stoked for movies.

>"lol I don't read anything popular because only fools read popular stuff"
>"better spend my life avoiding certain novels due to my stubborn values"

fucking hipster elitists man

Too subtle for this crowd.

user, some people just have greatness thrust upon them.

>le buzzwords
get fucked brainlet

what other words would you use to describe a person who acts in that magnitude?

A hipster is someone who rejects the cultural mainstream and an elitist is someone who believes their views are superior, and thus would reject anything that conflicts with their non-mainstream views.

goodreads.com/book/show/6759.Infinite_Jest?ac=1&from_search=true
amazon.com/Infinite-Jest-David-Foster-Wallace/dp/0316066524/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501314051&sr=8-1&keywords=infinite jest

HMMMMMMMMMMMM

Now that's funny

Your pleb sci-fi fantasy is far from being part of the cultural mainstream. Fuck off back to plebbit, nerd.

I just want to read books where the author put effort into character development. That's the reason I cut down on the anime and vidya. I want stories to convey things I'll never forget.

It's almost like Veeky Forums is a playground for pseudo-intellectuals to flaunt some imagined supremacy around in a way that would be embarrassing in the real world.
>t. filthy pseud

Please tell me why I should respect this garbage.

twitter.com/donniemnemonic/status/889215615717605376