Just discovered a tiny Asian foods place nearby. Got some pic related (which is really good) and some kimchi...

Just discovered a tiny Asian foods place nearby. Got some pic related (which is really good) and some kimchi. What else should I try? Looking for broaden my horizons because I feel like I don't know Asian food too well.

the fugly fish that you can find

They had some ugly fish in a freezer. Is.. is that good eating?

You couldn't just buy that at a regular grocery store? Sambal Oelek is easy to find

Perhaps. Never looked for it in a grocery store though. The kimchi definitely is not in grocery stores around here.

Urakix

Tell me what IU shoud I shoukd I wahattat after y nigga I shoukd nuyttieny pat and nigger niggerpaste.

The uglier the better.

what do u guise have kimchi for? vvv cheap near me but can't figure out what I'm gonna do with a big ass tub of it

I just eat it as a snack like ice cream. Warms me up and clears the sinuses nicely in the winter.

Try mochi. It's ice cream wrapped in mochiko.
If you have a bakery in your store, the sweet buns are amazing. Very lightly sweet.

Pile it on rice. Use it in soups and stir-fries. Make a stew out of it...

Korean youtube cook Maangchi has a website full of recipes you can browse

Sambal Oelek is ok. But really only hot and salty. Other Sambals have much more spicy flavor. Next time try Sambal Badjak, Sambal Brandal, Sambal Trassi or any other variety

Sambal Ikan Teri is GOAT on nasi

>Sambal Oelek is ok. But really only hot and salty.

Isn't it like
the base sambal for other sambals

no. other sambals have loads of other ingredients. Onions, spices, garlic, trassie, etc. Sometimes the sambal is cooked.
Oelek is just raw chillies and salt.

if they have gochujang try that! I think it's delicious and have been really hooked on it lately. Perfect for stews but also nice with like just some rice

>Oelek is just raw chillies and salt.

hence being the base.... for other...... sauces.......

>halal

fuck this shit.

Squid jerky and lychees

go away /pol/.

sauces maybe, sambals no.
Other sambals do not start out as oelek. They have their own recipes. Oelek is just one of those recipes, not the "base".

That's with fish, right?
Will try. Thanks

OP said asian. From what has been posted it's most likely stocked with chinese and korean. Japanese ingredients are usually harder to find. There's a few asian markets here in a university town. No kombu, no katuobushi, no nagaimo, nothing that is distinctly japanese. The best you can find is the usual fair that you can buy at most grocery store chains.

Find a bigger Asian place and grab anything that looks good from the produce clearance rack.

The whitest stores here have it.

>halal
Give me pork bone stock or give me death.

good way to make me not buy something

Yeah, sambal-fried anchovies. It adds a crunchy, salty and spicy kick to anything you pair it with. I like to use it on nasi dishes.

nigger what

I actually got some gochujang but I forgot to mention it here. Stuff is so rich it's like chocolate. Still have to figure out what I'm gonna do with it.

>Squid jerky
Fug, I'll have to go back just to see if they have this. I love squid and I love jerky so I'm sure I'd love both together.