I was reading a random news story

I was reading a random news story...

theguardian.com/money/2017/jul/22/student-loans-company-punishing-graduates-additional-rate-rise

>“What scares me the most in this whole process is that the SLC is so opaque that an Oxford graduate, my parents – both with Cambridge degrees – and my MP, Lucy Frazer, have been unable to get a satisfactory response from a company that thousands of young people are massively in debt to.”

Jesus, if even they can't do it, then you peons probably die of starvation because you lock yourselves in cupboards!

>B-b-b-b-b-but university doesn't matter! Even though it does! But it doesn't!

Hmmm... Well, as one final test, why don't you google the name of that MP and see which university she went to...

This isn't the politics board

Why does it seem like British people have never heard of a lawyer?
Its like they think they have to take whatever people shove up their ass

I kept dropping in and out of college. I would enroll then cease attending. Unbeknown to me, I was being charged for terms I wasnt even attending.

I am in so much debt and dont even have a degree.

It has ruined my life and I want to kill myself for being such a fucking retard.

>not being sent down
it's like you think this board isn't the deviants into poetry board of a translated anime fandom website. see how much interest the company will knock off for sending them an epic in heroic couplets about the brony code

>going to university

You can tell by the current loans that it's just become a ponzi scheme

That is true. Generally speaking, personal action is not a thing we value here in the UK. We're not taught the value of acting in our self-interest and we're really bad at cooperating as a society. Terrible combination.

>2017
>still taking out student loans

why are people still doing this? give me an honest answer. student loan companies have proven time and time again that they will fuck you over. going to university is not so important that you should feel obligated to take out a massive amount of debt and ruin your life just to go listen to a bunch of Marxist weirdos ramble on for four years. I have ZERO sympathies for anyone who has a student loan sob story. you chose to take out the loan.

The student loans in the UK aren't really that bad. The SLC is a shambles though, i know plenty of people who have had problems with them.

On this subject, I had an ex-girlfriend who suffered third degree burns on her hand at work. I told her to sort out a no-win no-fee compensation claim because the restaurant made her handle hot pizza plates with a thin towel (it burnt straight through). She never bothered to get in touch with anybody about it.

That's the UK mentality.

I went to uni in scotland as a "mature student" ( I was 25). I got my course fees paid, £6k per year bursary + £300 per year travel expenses

Until they introduce a clause to make us pay for loans without having a job, they're perfectly fine.

A lot more sensible than the US. Much less sensible than the rest of Europe.

Fucking Chink tier masochism

Lol. What country did you go to school in. I did the same thing twice, but I'd at least let the school know I wouldn't be returning before the next semester began.

Maybe none of those people involved are actually smart

I did the same thing. A lot of people did.
Yes you were a retard but society kind of fucked you over too.

FFS, if you can't get into an Ivy League kust move to Europe. The US education system will kill you guys.

>racked up 80,000 dollars worth of debt getting a double bachelors in philosophy and history at vanderbilt
>upon graduation, told my loan officer that I would still be attending education for the grace period to stay in effect
>applied to University of Alberta in Canada for graduate work
>became a permanent resident
>didn't give my loan officer my new address
>tore up my US passport
>got a new email

And now I'm in Canada without any loans and with a job TA'ing. Currently the plan is to keep doing what I'm doing until I'm a citizen here, then change my name legally, at which point I'll start visiting family again. But hey, no loans!

The rise of no win no fee litigation culture correlates to the rise of health+safety litigation and other nanny state practises.

work in a kitchen expect to get burned every so often

you should read evelyn waugh's decline and fall, user. i think you might have escaped from a book rather than the US

They'll find out and then go after your family.

Yeah, I get the feeling you've never had a girlfriend.

Imagine your girlfriend comes home from a hard day of slaving away in the pizza dungeon and she shows you her burnt to a crisp hand and you say "work in a kitchen expect to get burned every so often."

Or maybe you just didn't read what I posted properly. She suffered third degree burns and had to go to the hospital. She lost feeling in two of her fingers for months - still might be the case as I haven't spoken to her for about a year.

That would atleast be some top quality banter.

She has a life on easy mode and lots of potential sugar daddies and men who will pay for her stuff. She can get a cushy office job whenever she wants.

If only the SLC could hire competant people. Countless problems with them...

They're based in Darlington. I'm not surprised they're shite.

>justify not litigating because of the fear that it will lead to the nanny state
>UK still has a nanny state anyway, and you STILL don't fight for yourself
>suffering this hard from serfdom mentality while Britbongs go to jail for mean tweets
I fucking LOVE being American. Redcoats are not Veeky Forums and they never will be.

Not gonna lie. UK poster here. We are cucked. USA is the best country in the world and all the libs who demand that the USA should be more like Europe should be dealt with

Oh wait, that's Student Finance England. SLC are Glasgow, I believe.

>evelyn waugh's decline and fall
What's that about? Seems interesting.

I was the only one on my loans, no co-signers. I already told my father and mother not to respond to IRS trickery, but I mean my mums a lawyer so I'd imagine she already knew that.

Based fellow Scottish poster. I only came in to contact with these financial companies to tell them to pay my tuition fees.

Unless you have rich parents or a scholarship ther is literally no point in going to uni.

You get the same quality of education from community college and the fucking internet.

if want any sort of career university is essential and unavoidable.

Here in england the only job you can get without a degree is retail cashier or cleaner.

What about the accreditation that makes you eligible for employment in better fields

You can do an apprenticeship but they're shit as you don't get paid like a real human bean. £3 an hour is actually ridiculous if you're not a 16 year old kid living at home. I'd sooner do an unpaid internship because at least I could leave after 3 months without feeling bad.

>work in a kitchen expect to get burned every so often

why do so many people have such a retarded attitude to Health and Safety? almost as stupid as "I'm too cool and responsible to follow safety rules" "I won't make a mistake"

it has luckily been largely pushed out of serious industry but you still get idiots who think like this leading to things like the Tokaimura Criticality Accident

>got accepted to several prestigious private universities that I would have to take out massive loans in order to attend
>decided to attend a state school that gave me a full ride instead
Sometimes I wonder about what might have been but in the end I think I made the right decision.

Yeah, while working a shitty job

People seem to miss the point that as student you have years with little responsibility in an environment ideal for learning

Enjoy studying for yourself after working for 12 hours that day and no degree so little hope of getting out of your dead end job

Well, the logic of her decision depends entirely on the intensity of her orgasm, in this philosopher's opinion.

I think you did, because now that you *have* the degree, it will be a lot easier to find a job somewhere where they will pay you to keep going back to fancy universities...depending on what your degree is in. I have a fucking two year degree, and if it weren't for my 10 years' work experience, they would treat me like a high school dropout. Ah seent it!

its an off world company , you don't have cosmic lvl sec clearance .

They're fucking useless, I spent hours waiting on them to sort out an application for a course with a special arrangement with them. Of course they had no idea about this and wouldn't do anything about it, I had to get my post grad coordinator to talk to his manager to sort it out, affected dozens in our class

Your credit score will still be shit

I would say the US has pretty sensible student loan repayment options. From the posts Ive read here it just seems most anons are morons that didn't bother to figure out how they would ever pay back their loans. For example, we don't have that no job no pay clause but we have income based repayment which amounts to the same thing. You just have to ask for it which it seems no user here ever did. I have about 15,000 in student loan debt. I've only paid some $400 in 2-3 years and I'm not in default. Most likely my debt will be forgiven unless I strike it rich and if I do become modestly successful then paying more on my loans would seem like an overall good problem to have.

Not literature

I'd honestly rather have Syrians here than people like you. I wish Americans would stop running away to Canada to avoid their responsibilities. We're way too tolerant and compassionate so we'll always get taken advantage of by assholes from the States.

See also: draft dodgers