A reddit tier friend just sent me this

A reddit tier friend just sent me this
I honestly found it interesting
Discuss
youtube.com/watch?v=MBRqu0YOH14&app=desktop

so what do you think about it?

Seemed like much ado about nothing to me.
"The world is a void and nothing matters, have fun"
literally babby's first nihilism intro.

This
Great video and really fun to watch but the ideas behind it are basic.

>a reddit tier friend

Categorising your compatriots based on what website you think suits them, a strange practice.

It's a little odd in that I take what the video presents to be the basic underlying ideology of modern wealthy western people – so it's like having the worldview you've already been taught repeated back to you.

I suppose it's an articulation of the world's "dominant" worldview (in that it's the worldview of the "elite," not in that it's the demographically prevailing one) rather than a suggestion.

What would be considered advanced nihilism?

>ultimate meaning is only possible if god exists
>god doesn't exist
>therefore no meaning possible
>so just do whatever it's all good

This is the philosophy reddit wants

Not sure, but the video makes a lot of basic philosophical errors and leaps:

-hedonism in no way follows from nihilism
-subjectivism, in the sense that values are relative to individuals, does not either, and is perhaps even in tension with it
-even accepting subjectivism, there is no reason to believe said individual-related values can be created by individuals or decided on by them, or are under their control in any way
-hedonism and self-decided values are probably incompatible, as what is pleasant and painful cannot prima facie be decided upon by the individual – accepting hedonism rather seems to commit one to a value system independent of one's opinions (thus, the line "do whatever feels good; you get to decide" if read carefully, doesn't make sense)
-none of this has anything to do with "galactic civilization," which may be a spook; the authors are not affirming a lack of value and suggesting a forged value as replacement, but relying on predetermined values their culture has already handed to them (i.e. they are not nihilists, but rather reject values that another generation might have held, but do this only because these values of rejection are themselves the one's they've grown up with in their generation)
-nothing about nihilism implies any special centering of humanity and its desires / values, and in fact seems to suggest the opposite; even if it did, nothing follows about the individual deciding what values ought to be applied, and in fact if the video's recommendations were taken seriously, the values that each individual sought would lead to immediate contradiction, since people seek conflicting things

etc., etc. It's just a very basic bitch video.

This is why we need a religious revival.

They'd be better off adopting a philosophy of white nationalism and having women cede their "rights" like real men like you and me

Your ressentiment is speaking

It was made to apeal to rick and morty fans. Worse video they've made.

>Ultimate meaning is only possible if God exists
>we can imagine that God exists
>we can imagine ultimate meaning
>we can act accordingly
What is wrong with this approach?

Nice one.

Why not bypass the mental gymnastics and call yourself god and do whatever you want.

Because an imagined God represents something superiordinate to everyone else and myself included, it's nothing like proclaiming myself to be the judge. It's an attempt to have the personal mind transcend itself.

Literally just read the Greeks and forget that garbage

That's sort of the point. How many voice over with graphics 9min videos are suppose to achieve complexity - other than Salad Fingers.

>salad fingers
O shit what have you done? Some things are best left forgotten.

Better marketing strategy employed on Youtube for small media team this week.

We never forget. We do not. Not ever. Never, never, do we forget. We are "anonymous".

I'm trying to write a fucking article and now I can't get the milkman song out of my head. Ruined!

Please tell me you're not conservative and have a fabulous pencil collection. My paranoia can only be integrated into fiction so much.

The universe began with my birth and will end with my death. I am therefore the universe is.
What do you call this? Any authors that touch this way of looking at things?

If it gets more subscriptions for more actually thought out videos I'm fine with that. It is also a simple reaction to the general public: babby's first existential dread is countered by babby's first absurdism.

This. They call it nihilism out of some spooky need to not identify themselves with any other mainstream line of thought, but they are not being any nihilistic on their last and (true) intentions of "helping build a galactic empire". It is a pretty good life objective but has nothing to do with subjectivity and has nothing to do with throwing away essential meaning.

Their other videos are usually more data based and that's where their turf is. As Feynman (more or less) said: "A physicist is as dumb as everyone else when it comes down to anything other than physics." and it applies to anyone with anything really. No harm done though, because they don't seem to be proposing it as a deep philosophy, it's just an entry point for newbies.

I'm not anything, brother. I wouldn't say I have a collection of pencils, but I do have a shitload of them strewn in various drawers of my house.

But I DO like to write about paranoia, if that helps?

My unfinished novel.

Also, how can you use both "touch this way" with "looking at things" and expect a serious response.

I hate you, don't leave me.

If you'd like a real answer to this question, you should read Heidegger's "Letter on Humanism". The short answer to this question is that the above logic is merely Christianity negated and does nothing to actually escape Christian thinking. In this respect, this atheist-Humanist logic should rather be called "achristian" because it just negates one of the arguments and commits to the negated conclusion. If god is dead, the job is to think through Christianity, not within it. Anyways happy reading.

English is not my first language so maybe im transliterating some idioms into stuff that doesnt sound right in english

>throwing away essential meaning.
Did you mean unessential meaning?

Isn't this decartes?

Yeah ok. I understand. But if the idioms are the same in your language, you shouldn't be putting them together like this anyhow.

So what is your novel about? Can i read a snippet?

No

>I'm too fucking ashamed of the videos I watch on youtube so I'm gotta act like a 16 year old kid buying condoms

It's eight years old and the whole thing is embarrassing, like most of my attempts at anything other than horror and and sci fi. So no. No thanks.

faggot

Thanks user!

To avoid narcissism or fatalism.

Yet we all knew what he meant

Sounds like what they teach in the first week of philosophy 101 as a warmup for serious ethics, like how you might talk about flat earth theory as a fun exercise in rhetoric.

It sounds like solipsism.

This video was stupid. He literally just described existentialism and called it nihilism. Now we're going to have a bunch of edgy teenagers identifying as nihilists because it sounds cool, even though they literally aren't. It also kind of bothered me how he presented the video as though it was profound and novel even though it was the most basic shit.

Basically, it makes sense you got it from a "reddit tier friend."

Hes literally not wrong.

Solipsism

I'm interested in learning more about it, who have written about it?

>they got meme'd into nihilism
heh, nothin' personnel kids

Because your not a god. Pfff and you want to avoid mental gymnastics

It's lonely solipsism. Being a solipsist, I see no reason not to see other carriers of consciousness, or 'the world'. They are just rarer than the claims. Oh, and you can switch 'servers' so that you will never connect with a person ever again. There's a flesh machine in place of them. There's a spiritual distance you can move in.

>I also said to myself, “As for humans, God tests them so that they may see that they are like the animals. Surely the fate of human beings is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath; humans have no advantage over animals. Everything is meaningless. All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return. Who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?”

>So I saw that there is nothing better for a person than to enjoy their work, because that is their lot. For who can bring them to see what will happen after them? - Ecclesiastes 3:18

Literally why did anyone ever write any book after the Bible? It has the answer to every question you could think of

>3 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

>14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Vattimo's pensiero debole.

since when is king solomon included in bible

kurzgesagt is the Rick and Morty of science education