How did people make bread without yeast, baking powder and shit, Veeky Forums?

How did people make bread without yeast, baking powder and shit, Veeky Forums?

Sourdough and unleavened bread.

flatbreads

Wild yeast. Just because you can't buy a packet at the supermarket doesn't mean you can't get yeast.

salt leavening
anaerobic bacteria
unleavened bread

They just scraped the white stuff off their tongues. Works pretty well actually

There's yeast all around you, just leave the dough in the open for a while and hope a good kind of yeast start doing it's thing. After you've caught it you just keep it alive by feeding it and you can keep using it forever.

By smacking it with their brewing spoons.

how did they know to put yeast in dough?

They didn't know. But your ancient grandmum noticed that she baked better bread whenever she touched herself the previous night.

they first realized that adding beer would cause bread to rise, then they figured out whatever caused the beer to become beer would make bread rise.
they also had hundreds to thousands of years to figure it out

>make dough
>let it sit out for one day
>profit

It built up into the bread dough over years and years, and in a lot of cultures it's still traditional to make a new batch of bread into a "root", or a piece of raw dough saved from the previous baking. Over years the yeast profile becomes unique, changing from household to household, and giving each baker their own flavor.

At the start it was all unleavened and flat breads made from the dough of just flour and water but I assume the first yeast breads were created accidentally by neglecting the dough until it started to ferment. Then the baker noticed the dough had puffed up like a balloon and was like, shit, I'm gona bake this and see what happens.

This is basically the principle of sourdough

I'm pretty sure beer came first. Someone left some dough out in the rain and drank the liquid a few days later.

Ewww... i'll try that.

At what point in the history of the world did yeast not exist?

This user knows what's up.

All flour includes a little bit of wild yeast mixed with it. If you look after it properly you can make it reproduce until you have enough to make bread.

Yeast used to be expensive and hard to come by when it was being produced en masse. Soda bread was popularized during that time to have airy bread with no yeast. Cornbread works similarly.

Irish soda bread sucks ass. Southern soda biscuits are goat, though.

Yeah, the first time I made Irish soda bread I thought I fucked up. It just seems that it's pretty shit bread.

Fucking hell

Ancestors BTFO

Irish here. Soda bread isn't to be eaten like normal bread, it's dense and designed to be fried in the grease of meats such as bacon, and filled with bacon sausage egg etc

How did man catch the first yeast and train it to make bread and beer?

It was sold to them by the other yeasts

WHAAAAAAAAAAT

Hartshorn. You grind up horns or use dried sheep's piss as leavener.

There's yeast already on the wheat. It just takes longer to work.

I find my bread rises twice as fast if I leave my foreskin retracted while kneading the dough

How did people figure out that sex makes women pregnant but only if you cum inside?

Sheeeeiiiiitttt

well you great great grandmother fucked a whole lot of men you see and she kept getting pregnant whenever they cummed in her, eventually everyone figured it out.