/HEMINGWAY/ GENERAL

Let's discuss the man, his novels, and the feels they've brought us.

Is there any short story better than A Clean, Well-Lighted Place?

I like when he wrote about abortion. It made me feel good. I like when I feel good.

> Man, I really regret going into the war. I thought it'd be great at first, being heroic and all. But then I was hit by a bomb mortar and became a cripple. All I have left is one leg down to the knee, the other limbs are gone. Well, hindsight is twenty-twenty... I must move on with my life... and say Farewell to Arms.

What the FUCK was his PROBLEM!

Never read any of his short stories. I've read "The Old Man and the Sea", "The Sun Also Rises" and I just finished "A Farewell to Arms" today.

"The Sun Also Rises" is definitely my favorite of the three.

>I turned around and all I could see was the old man and the sea

What a fucking hack

nice meme

I prefer The Snows of Kilomanjaro

> I heard the church tower bells ringing when they weren't supposed to. It made me truly wonder -- since they weren't ringing for mass-time, it must be for a funeral. That is when I wanted to know For Whom the Bells Toll.

pure trash

> "Hey," he said. "It's raining outside, we can't have a picnic out in the open!" It was then that I wished I had cooked A Moveable Feast.

*snore*

explain

>Never read any of his short stories.

You're missing something, user. His short stories are great. The Collected Stories is a great read. He was a MASTER of the short story.

>There were too many. But how to know for sure? I couldn't. It couldn't be more than the last count. That count had been spot on every time. It was the Count of Monte Cristo.

worse than iliad cargo list.

>they call me the stranger

Holy. Fuck. Camus.

I liked app of the Nick Adam's stories. The Short Happy Life was also brilloant. Honestly my favorite may have been the one about the old bull fighter who gets gored.
The Cuban smugglers stories are also great.

The Capital of the World is my fav from hem

I N D I A N
C A M P

Unironically my favorite Hemingway novel.

Has anyone read Across the River and into the Trees?

It's the only Hemingway book I've read, he's better than this, right? It's possibly the worst novel I've ever read

I've read it and it's dreadful. Afaik most people agree it's his worst novel.

>The Cuban smugglers stories

you mean after the storm? or to have and have not? what?

The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber should be required reading

Haven't read it yet. What did you like about it?

Hemingway is famous for his descriptive writing even if it is limited compared to many other authors and lacks that extra fancy. But this novel is absolutely impeccable at describing especially the protagonist's thoughts, interpretations, moods, actions. Obviously that isn't everything that makes this novel so great but it stood out to me compared to other Hemingway novels and made his a very enjoyable read.
The other thing H. is rather notorious for, is his macho attitude and theme that can be found in near all his works.
This is definetly prevalent trough out the entire novel and even becomes annoying when certain characters fuel the protagonist macho attitude to a point where it becomes kind of absurd.
I still would recommend this over TSAR most definetly.

Thanks m8, ima read.

It was published posthumously, cobbled together from some other unpublished works, and heavily edited.

Good read nonetheless.

Oh. That is disappointing somehow. It seemed very continuous though.
Do you know if he chose the title or not?

....Hemingway? Has he never heard of a thesaurus?

more like lemmingway lmao

>Changing words for no reason
Really jumps my cashews

wew

The fishing chapter of "The Sun Also Rises" is literally the comfiest passage in all of literature.

I hope to one day experience such Country.
Such serenity.

This, also Bill Gorton is one of my favorite characters in all of literature.
I constantly drop that, "the road to hell is paved with unbought stuffed dogs" line.

Is that the one with the baby being born starring Nick and his dr Daddy

Does this get any less antisemitic? How could you be friends with somehow and claim to "like" them while at the same time hating them?

Have you ever had friends lmao

Darn, no.

I've only read The Sun Also Rises and The Old Man and the Sea. I liked the latter a lot more than the former. Should I read Farewell to Arms or bell tolling next?

This was written before it became taboo to make wisecracks about Jews. Which is as "antisemitic" as the book gets.

Although of course it's not taboo for Jews to mock Christians, and point out their hypocrisies and sins, but if you happen to point out this fact, much less point out Jews' hypocrisies and sins, you're an antisemite.

Okay in a more serious note, at least in my experience there are two types of friends you have in life, the Bill Gorton's and the Robert Cohn's, and I think Hemingway actually did a wonderful job in characterizing both

And that ain't the half of it.

overrated and probably a closet homosexual

Honestly, my favorite work of his is "A Moveable Feast". Jazz age Paris intrigues me to no end but I was disappointed to learn of the eschewed biographical facts in the book. Particularly, the fact that his wife's parents were footing the bill for him to live there.

>masculine? probably trying to cover up your homosexuality
>driving a motorcycle? lel got a small willy?

Farewell to Arms and FWTBT are different in style from the two you've read already and are, imo, a bit overrated. I'd recommend his short stories next.

Pretty much this exactly.

>I liked the latter a lot more than the former.

Go to his Collected Stories and start with the early ones like Up in Michigan and Big Two-Hearted River. OM and the Sea is kind of a refinement and aesthetic fulfillment of what he was already doing quite beautifully in those early stories.

The Short, Happy Life of Francis Macomber

>tfw coward
>wife disgusted with you
>she fucks Chad, your guide
>finally man up and find courage while hunting
>die

Life is brutal and pointless.

> “Oh, Jake,” Brett said, “we could have had such a damned good time together.”
Ahead was a mounted policeman in khaki directing traffic. He raised his baton. The car slowed suddenly pressing Brett against me.
“Yes,” I said. “Isn’t it pretty to think so?”

I read this two years ago, having developed feelings for a close friend of mine who lived far away. I couldn't stop thinking about her but knew that the circumstances of our lives would keep us apart. What Brett says to Jake at the end was completely soul shattering for me at the time, haha.

>>finally man up and find courage while hunting
>>your wife murders you
>>but you became a man before you died, and even Chad the guide respected you

Life can be short and happy if you man up like Francis Macomber did.

One of my favorite endings I've read so far imo

Hate to put it in such a lame and stupid way, but Big Two-Hearted River is a beautiful story about healing from post-traumatic stress disorder before PTSD had a name.

And the ending.. how he still has some healing to do.. not quite ready for that spooky swamp.. beautiful.