This books is so long and dry that I don't feel like I'm progressing at all

This books is so long and dry that I don't feel like I'm progressing at all.

I find it hard to believe that people actually finished it.

quit literature, it's not for you. feel free to come back with a snarky (You), I don't give a shit. It won't change your lack of talent and inability to understand art

I'm no expert on this stuff, but try the old Constance Garnet translation. It was a very enjoyable reading experience, once things got rolling at a certain point.

Very much enjoyed her translation of War and Peace, too. If you can get through the first fifty-odd pages of that, which are a bit dry, a lot of drawing room stuff, it catches the main wind and becomes absolutely compelling. It is truly the Great Novel experience.

So it feels as such because of the translation then? Was the Russian version really that good?

this is his most riveting novel

if you aren't breathless with empathic parallel to the mania of Raskolnikov, i don't know what kind of person you could possibly be. Perhaps you just missed the boat for this type of work, it isn't timeless. You probably wasted your precious receptivity on the internet. It's a reverse mystery relying on dramatic irony, the epilogue is trash, i felt, but that's a different matter. Anyhow, it's a book for a young man. A receptive one, still stymied by his own struggles with emotion, still wondering if he's a god or insane, still wallowing for purpose, it's a deeply human work, hardly russian like a turgenev tale. the moral falls flat but the heartbeat is what sends the book twirling through your mind, gathering mass, wondering why the climax wasn't the murder, but the revelations of those around him, waiting, wondering when the poe-like villian will reveal the tell-tale heart! it's a masterpiece, a work that helped revolutionize the way people communicated across the very ocean. across vast culture gaps. if you can't hear dostoevsky's voice, a man who you do not know, will never know, if you cannot sympathize, shut the book, your impatience for tombrest is far too loud even for dostoevsky's ranting, you're too old, too withered. too stone set.

But the narration is really dry and the plot is really dragging.

>he can't read 545 pages

I read Les Miserables as a teenager. Finish your book, brainlet. I don't know why you made this thread. Must be bait.

just do as i say and shut the book. go do something else. your impatience is not a rewarded trait in literature.

This is one of the first classics I read (on my own, not assigned for a class) and I was surprised how incredibly readable it was, I breezed through it. Maybe it's the translation you're reading?

>P&V
What a twist!

The problem is literally just the translation. Find the Oliver Ready translation and you'll really enjoy it

Some of the chapters where they have a 25 page conversation can feel boring, but then something happens and you understand why all of the setup was necessary

>This books is so long
It's not really that long in the grand scheme of things.
>and dry
???
>that I don't feel like I'm progressing at all.
Stop reading the book; leave the board, and don't come back.

Here, OP, I found something that should be more up your mental alley. It's nice and succinct and even has illustrations so you have to think even less!

Haha

>dry
sensationalist trash that speaks mainly to faggots who treat literature as if it was depression pills () for sure, but dry?

I don't get it OP, I'm relatively new to reading fiction and I read it recently and really enjoyed it. What's your deal? Be more specific.

Currently reading this also.

Got 40% of the way through it and was just so exhausted by how stagnant the plot seemed. I put it down for about 6 weeks and found myself excited to read it again. Just started again this week — it seems better.

Maybe take a break?

If you think this is bad wait till you try reading Karamazovs. Bloody soap opera with the worst possible prose, you quite literally have to be a bit slow in the header to think it a proper literature.

This 100 times, very well put. the worst thing is the empathy you feel for the women for me. AND THEN CHILDREN WHY WONT ANYONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN, how he makes those kids cry out at you holy fuck mate blows my mind.

t. translation cuck

>I find it hard to believe that people actually finished it.
Not everyone are as incompetent as you, senpai.

bah, you interminable shitstain, i do no such thing with my literature, to appreciate an empathic communication and to enjoy the fairly simplistic design of the novel is hardly using it as some anti-depressant.
pedophile idolizing dipshit, trying to relegate Dostoevsky to trash simply because some childraping penguin talked some smack. what a surprise that a novel given to inspire emotions might be a target of your own psychological impairments.
>hurr hurr psychopaths sure do write good
an aids ridden african child would pity you.