>find tons of empires like Ashanti, Yoruba, to set my world in
>share with my online writing community
>get "we wuz kangs" comments
>feel dejected
>go back to writing about social commentary I guess

Fugg :DDD

are you actually from africa?

WE

Stop being an idiot and seek better company, write your shit.

not really. i live in the states and am black. i just liike to call myself african.

Yeah...uh stop that. You're not african. Try writing about life in america, something you actually know.

If you said you were from africa btw, i was going to post, "Oh, that sucks."

how about rite about montenegro. it's good country with good food and nice womem.

You could do, "Da Load u Da Rangs"

and just copy lotr but have every character in it looking like sam jackson from pulp fiction and stuff.

I'd love to read an African fantasy. The medieval European setting has been stale for decades.

It's been stale since tolkien inevented and perfected it, and everything since then has basically just been trying to re-create.

>Romanticizing about "muh heritage" and "muh ancestors"

you deserve it

OP HERE

Yes actual african from Zimbabwe. Grew up here and spent most of my time here

oh, that sucks

Just sell your stuff on Amazon. Most of the white women I know would be thrilled to spend 99 cents on a black writers story to sit, unread on their Kindle, just because the author is black. This may be patronizing but you may as well profit from it, this black panther movie will probably drive sales of that kind of shit up.

If thats the case he can go for traditional pub

lol so then are you a white that believes no one but poc of should write about minority characters?

Here's the problem: deep down, nobody likes Africans; you're all annoying and unpredictable. I'm not trying to be edgy or rude, but it's just the truth.

Good luck my melanoid friend.

Maybe you should try to publish it else where. I think African lore could be very interesting and something fresh in the fantasy genre. But in writing communities or Veeky Forums only scum and human garbage is lurking.

Fuck you racist thats just your imagination

That should be part of Serbia

Thats even more reason for him to do whatever he wants lol.

>so then are you a white

Yes, I am a white.

> that believes no one but poc of should write about minority characters?

huh...?

oh, that sucks

gonna bust a cap in yo ass

Hey man believe what you want I'm not here to sway minds. I'm just a writer.

Thanks for the good wishes though my Caucasian friendo

go live in africa

who's poc? That your parole officer or your skooma dealer?

I think you should go for it. African Nationalism certainly needs a boost in the US, maybe you could inspire disaffected blacks to move back like many did in the 60s and 70s.

If you're focusing on western Africa, make sure to consult the works of Michael Bertiaux for religious beliefs and practices. His books are amazing.

>letting /pol/ critique your work
you deserve this

you should submit your work to western publicists, they eat that diversity shit up, you'll be a millionaire. especially if it's an actual authentic take, not some hipster black lesbian from gentrified brooklyn writing about it in her ivy league college's school paper (which she was accepted to on affirmative action)

isn't modern day africa basically game of thrones anyway? Just people running around with machete's chopping everybody's head off with warlords running it? Just pick up a video camera, that's all man.

accept it if and if you don't like it you're a bigot SJW libcuck.pewdiepie did nothing wrong.

Maybe in some places, Africa is huge and a lot of places are the exact opposite.

>you'll be a millionaire.

Well....no. They'll publish it and put a huge marketing campaign behind it and it will completely fail and you'll have to pay your advance back, and then they'll blame racism or whatever for it's failure and you'll never get another book published but still...you got published.

> things that never happen: le white privilege college student fantasy post
Nice try, but you fail.

'Black African dudes' have 1001 problems, but having badfeels from random internet retards ain't one of them.

what? they're trying to put the heads back on with machetes?

>what? they're trying to put the heads back on with machetes?
Well... You never know, their witchcraft and zombie stuff can get very intense.

Depends on where you live. There are some places where I wouldn't stay just for a few seconds but other are pretty safe. My ex-GF lived for a year in Africa and her experiences are overall very positive.

WE
WUZ
WIZARDZ

I'm black too user, you can write a fantasy drawing from these inspirations but it over all has to be a unique vision. Don't just copy and paste traditions that really don't have anything to do with you, or it will lack authenticity. Which is one of the main reasons why I don't read a lot of african fantasy books because they are usualy in the form of one big buff black dude who is a wizard fucks a tall black afroed black chick who is a wizard and lions can talk.

Mix in different cultures, pull form real life experiences.

that only minorities should be able to write about minorities you dense mother fucker

Fuck you for thinking /pol/ is us.

Oh, how many kills did she get?

Thats why I prefer totally unique settings so I dont have to bother with authentic depictions of differnt cultures and all that shit, just go balls out.

No, anyone can write about whatever they want ultimately.

But if you're looking to have some success as a writing, maybe you should stick to stuff you actually know about and have some connection to. Start there, at least, then maybe you can try harder shit like writing about africa when you've never been there.

Write it anyway. I've been told to kill myself like 20 times for my poetry here, but sometime you'll get a comment that's helpful.

you aren't loyal enough to your vision if some shitposting fags convinced you to change course

he is african stupid, he came from africa like every other negro

You should read Mumbo Jumbo.

>whining about people telling you to kys
LITERALLY KYS

this. Be ready to die for your shit.

Stop shilling yourself Rupi Kafir.
Time to go poo in loo like a big gal.

American Blacks have no place in Africa desu, they are so distant culturally at this point

Black auteur here, my shadowed friend, psychologically we are outmatched in America from both sides of the fence, enjoy the sadness, that's where the creativity works in overdrive, think traditionally yet you represent the unorthodox, you're a dream come true, a unique one too

Well they sure do seem to hate it here--either languishing in ghetto apathy across generations or full of impotent rage that will produce no positive cultural change. Plus Africans can really use the help from some people with technical skills and other human capital. It's a win-win.

Who cares what a "online community" thinks? If you want to write fantasy on Africa, fucking write it. If you have he need to write, just do it; that's what literature is about. Now I encourage you to leave the Veeky Forums and go to write. Be more brave son! The hell you make me reply you, I swear.

It's time for BLM to put their money where their mouths are and revive the back to Africa movement.

Oh, that sucks.

racists are brainwashed since childhood.

Fantasy rich in melanin is super hot right now. Publishers want that shit. Step 'n write it, fag. Stop making lame excuses. Or don't, and let whitey keep you down some more.

Do what I do, steal from your favorite fantasy novels, music, games, any media. Find african art steal it and just put a little bit of your own spin on it.

the other way 'round, buddyboyo

Fuck off nigger, this is a White Man board.

this

Good luck man, write what you want and ignore pathetic people who try to put you down. I'd read your stories

cuck

Modern day Africa is /k/'s wet dream. Tons of warlords with more money than sense, rogue arms dealers, mercenaries, and the UN fucking up. There's plenty of interesting non-fiction about it.

Utilize your suffering in your art. You could be the next "grunge rocker" of black authors, user.

maybe the next nuggetfest should be held in Mogadishu, user.

marlon james is doing an african fantasy next i hear
mite b cool

Read The Vorrh

>things that never happened from /pol/ poster
>retarded /pol/ cross posters everywhere
Whelp guess no more Veeky Forums today

WE

WUZ

True.
Also true.

If you lied about being African how can we be sure that you're actually black...You're probably just a Puerto Rican or something.

"We wuz" is probably one of the worst meme around, as now "people" seem to throw it around everytime a black guy appears on a screen.
There's plenty of interesting stories that you could write about Africa, including the kingdoms you talked about. It will be nice both for you to read about those because they're not well known and for people with a similar interest to learn about them.

Though stop calling yourself an african. You're black, and american. That's some cringy shit.

dont let these cunts get you down, dude, just picture the setting and do your best to portray it as best you can and have a crazy cool plot, i can see it being fashionable not even in a race empowerment sort of bullshit way, as long as its loosely based on history and has a great adventure plot with a relatable hero.

White guy here, it's true that everyone hates nigros by definition but you can get easy cash money by starting a kick starter/ patreon for an aspiring black author writing fantasy and shit from white guilt dickheads.

I've been meaning to write a WE WUZ KING ARTHOR and shit though and need your feed back on how racist/ patronising it is.

Essentially the sword in the stone is just a shard of meteoric iron that fell to earth, it's set in a fantasy africa and merlin/ morgana lefey are a pair of shamanistic twins fighting to see which one can cure their fantasy aids by raping the other first.

If you move to Africa I think it would help your writing a lot.

Would it be as cringy, as you guys said about mr. blackie here, for me, a japanese american, to include japanese folktales/literary influences in my short stories, simply on the basis of my being born in America? I feel a disconnect from my ethnic culture in America, having grown up speaking English, and only recently having become fluent in Japanese at 21, but is it really fake and dumb to attempt to reconnect with something that I did not quite grow up with, even though it is technically in my heritage? Should I instead, being an American, just attempt to be American? Would that be more truthful to myself, even though I am ethnically Japanese? In that case, would I not be a Japanese roleplaying as an American in an attempt to fit in, when I do not fully integrate into the literary history on the basis of my race? That I would be conforming to the literary values of a country simply because I live there? Or am I limited to the niche of the Asian American literature, which is a very limited source of inspiration to draw on, if I am to be "true to myself"? Why is it that certain people feel free to borrow from other cultures, say, for example, Barth borrowing from Borges, and in this case it is not seen as a false appropriation of a culture, but an integration of another, an exotic influence/aesthetic of sorts to be added to an already solid cultural base of inspiration? Should I, like Barth, take my own Japanese literary history as nothing but an exotic influence, not reflective of myself, and my values, as an American, though there are still remnants that exist within me, because they have been passed down through my parents? It seems to me on the one hand that the whole debate is absolutely retarded. One does not CHOOSE their values, their literary values, their internal sense of aesthetic, and to consciously cherry pick them from any country at all, whether it be one's birthplace or ethnic motherland, is to be false to oneself, unless they be values that already exist within oneself and are simply being, in a moment of recognition, found to parallel the values of this particular culture. And yet, one DOES choose what they read, and thus what they choose to be influenced by. Am I thus a fraud until the values of the Japanese literature that I read have been integrated unconsciously into myself, at which point one can say that I am not consciously choosing them, or not a fraud at all? Or will I always be a fraud for having chosen to incorporate these values, consciously, in the first place? Why is it more truthful to follow the literary values of my childhood, then, say, a consciously incorporated set of literary values only fully integrated by adulthood?

Just do it you fuck, who cares where you steal from. It doesn't even have to be your own culture. Are you going to be upset at Mishima when he references western authors? Would you be upset at a writer from Central Europe drawing from Indo-Aryan myths connected to his own cultural sphere by a mere thread literally spanning thousands of years? Just don't overly romanticize those influences that you came to know in a more conscious process and you'll be fine.

I meant those to be more questions just to get you guys to think deeper about this issue, not asking for advice. I already write with them incorporated

Go on, OP, follow the dream and write your story, man!

I don't think memes that are used to be dismissive of arguments or people are very "patronising". It really just shows how insular your thinking is, and where any conversation will probably head.

There's really nothing to think about. As long as you do what you do with skill and purpose nobody will say shit.

*unless you actually are african. Then DO NOT follow your dreams! It WILL get you killed.

also, oh that sucks.

there's quite a lot to think about. You seem to be dismissing the entire issue of race and culture and saying "just b urself".

I am, since that's what it all comes down to.

I could shit myself about being a black sci-fi author writing with a predominantly black cast and rather apolitical themes, but that has nothing to do with me actually writing and getting shit done. These type of things are often just distractions for people who want to do anything but work.

That's why my advice for OP is to just fucking do it and let his own skill decide the outcome. Anyone who derides OP purely on basis on race and his face-value subject matter isn't even equipped to talk about writing seriously, so fuck them.

>You seem to be dismissing the entire issue of race and culture and saying "just b urself".

That's what most people do outside of America. I'm Irish and over here no one gives a shit what colour you are or where your from as long as you stfu and get on with life. We have no patience for people whining about race as if we're in America or some shit.

Maybe I'm not being clear. I don't care what people think about me. I'm talking more about a the existential issue of race, identity, and its ties to literary influence. These are personal problems to be worked out through writing, not required problems to be solved before one writes.

Hey, why don't you shutup and go write your dumb bullshit?

They're only really "problems" if you want them to be. If something inspires you then work with it, if not then it's nothing to be concerned with.

The meme itself would not be so effective in dismissing people or their opinions if it wasn't objectively true that black puritans engaged in cultural burglary on a regular basis.

Also I'm extremely open to discussion, I think a black arthurian retelling has a lot of potential but I would like to know how a black fantasy fan like op would react to the story being told by a whiteru deviru.

>potato niggers don't notice race

Color me surprised, shamus.

Inferior races are always getting worked up about race. See: American mongrels and their identity politics, Arabs and their Infidels, Africans and the white devil.

Being able to just get on with ones life is the sign of a superior race.

yeah, sorry but I'm not going to try to spoon feed you anymore, seems like you have really shitty reading comprehension

I'm just saying you're overthinking it, and your formatting is garbage. Yes there can be quite a few perceptions to challenge if you feel that they're getting in the way of you expressing what you want to express, but if not then whats the big fuss? These may be problems you concern yourself with, but some others may not be so encumbered.

True. There's plenty of white people who are born into shit situations who can still pick themselves up and brush themselves off and make something out of themselves. It's one of the few cultural ideas white people actually have: no excuses, get on with your life and persevere.

This is because, if you study the history of "White" people, even though it's a race that doesn't really exist, you'll find thousands of horrific events they lived through, but had to overcome and still carry on.

More than anything, if you embrace that idea, you will be welcome in most white communities, no matter what race you are.

Honestly that's not even a "white" thing, its just being a responsible human.

The West has just put too much credibility into being the victim and we're suffering for it.

Topkek
>white people dont bring up how superior they are to try to feel better about themselfs
Keep dreaming kiddo