Is anyone else a fan of true crime? What are your favorites...

Is anyone else a fan of true crime? What are your favorites? Any cases you've read up on that you might consider doing your own study of? Or just ones you think deserve one but have thus far been looked over?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/13222282-the-manson-file
twitter.com/AnonBabble

In Cold Blood is fantastic. I actually want to write a conspiracy theory of the Tate-LaBianca murders but posting on Veeky Forums reading Burroughs and depression in stead. (Also work/parenting)

I hate most true crime, but Jon Bennet Ramsay stuff is my weakness.

>sageing a book related thread
Fuck. You.

I forgot to take it off. My bad.

I've actually been listening to a lot of true crime podcasts lately. I recommend In the Dark, especially as a really good deconstruction on a cold case that only recently got solved.

Why do you hate most of it? Just don't like the style or what?

1. It's often trashy and exploitive. Victim's families have to live with it. The profit motive is alway questionable.
2. Unsolved mysteries make my OCD kick in. I wind up wasting my life going down rabbit holes and am never better off because of it.

I personally prefer ones based off cases that have been solved, or that might have convicted the wrong person and bringing attention might help put public pressure on the case. I agree there are a lot of sleazy ones out there that are just cheap headline grabbers and do more harm than good.

I like Peter Sotos' Predicate and Selfish, Little a lot, they're probably some of the more "literary" true crime books around, and i love them because of what said, they're an analysis on this kind of sleazy and hypocritical headline grabbing books, and as a result, the books don't focus as much on the crimes as more of strange, Burroughs-esque analysis of the culture around it.

I also like Say You Love Satan a lot, but less because it's a good book (it's quite bad, actually) but more because it's the only book on Ricky Kasso and Kasso is endlessly fascinating to me.

Confessions of a Dying Thief was bretty gud.

Janet Malcolm, The Crime of Sheila McGough is a very good read.

>The transcripts of trials at law--even of routine criminal prosecutions and tiresome civil disputes--are exciting to read. They record contests of wit and will that have the stylized structure and dire aura of duels before dawn. The reader feels as if he has been brought to the clearing and can smell the wet grass; at the end, as the sky begins to show more light and the doctor is stanching a wound, he takes away a sense of having attended a momentous, if brutal and inconclusive, occasion.

>Trial transcripts have no author, but they read as if someone wrote them. Their plot revolves around two struggles. One struggle is between two competing narratives for the prize of the jury's vote. The other is the struggle of narrative itself against the constraints of the rules of evidence, which seek to arrest its flow and blunt its force. The word "objection" appears in the transcript perhaps more frequently than any other, and betokens the story-spoiling function of the law. The law is the guardian of the ideal of unmediated truth, truth stripped bare of the ornament of narration; the judge, its representative, adjudicates between each lawyer's attempt to use the rules of evidence to dismantle the story of the other, while preserving the integrity of his own. The story that can best withstand the attrition of the rules of evidence is the story that wins.

>Say You Love Satan
Pretty sure I read that a 1000 years ago. Haven't thought of that book in a long time.

manson's auto biography is pretty good.

Fatal Vision is a must. For OJ, read American Tragedy. Speaking of Bundy, The Only Living Witness is excellent. Jonbenet: read Foreign Faction but you have to follow it up with We Have Your Daughter for a dissenting view. Lindbergh: The Case that Never Dies.

>What are your favorites?
Columbine by Dave Cullen

Jeff Guinn is pretty good.

Did anybody ever read this? Any good, or just OJ rubbing it in your face that he got away with it?

>or just OJ rubbing it in your face that he got away with it?

I haven't read it, but at a minimum it's this.

The Manson File: Myth and Reality of an Outlaw Shaman by Nikolas Schreck
goodreads.com/book/show/13222282-the-manson-file

Unironically this

The Executioner's Song is the great American novel.

I'm currently reading Selfish, Little. First exposure to Sotos and it's pretty interesting. I don't think I've ever encountered an author who's willing to lay himself bare with such brutal (and frankly disgusting) honesty.

seconded

What's a good Jon Bennet read?

yes