What are some Veeky Forums approved magazines?

What are some Veeky Forums approved magazines?

Other urls found in this thread:

newyorker.com/contributors/james-wood
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

N+ isn't bad

Certainly not the New Yorker. Paris Review, NYRB, New Criterion, among others.

There aren't any

Does anyone actually get the Paris Review? is it any good?

As someone who regularly submits short stories to literary journals, I sometimes have the terrifying thought that nobody actually reads them, and the entire circulation of magazines like The Paris Review or n+1 consists of desperate writers just like me who bought a subscription solely to make the story submission process a little more streamlined.

well, yeah. magazine readership is down and probably still heavily gen-x/boomer. I think if you want a wide readership these days then you have to published online and build it yourself through social media.

Chess Life

TNY occasionally, though I think that cunt fiction editor irreparably ruined the mag as a way to get back at the world for 1. being a woman 2. being a shit writer and 3. not being smart enough to become a professor. Also, the last summer fiction issue made me want to kill myself it was so bad and stereotypically "The industry plays off sjw and neolib sentiments while still waxing fondly on the fact that it read Jane Austen and Leo Tolstoy back in college" bullshitty.

Paris Review has been consistently shit ever since ive read it the past ten years, albeit the best quality essays and interviews inevitably come from here. I don't think this is a contemporary issue. I think the Paris Review has always been shit, but has so dauntlessly published a bulk of material catering to the literati that greatness has slipped in through sheer quantity.

Tin House has the occasional worthwhile fiction piece (though, like TNY, has settled on shitty attempts at politics rather than publishing material of consistent aesthetic value).

Harper's, believe it or not, has published the best single pieces in my mind. Better quality overall, though they have an affinity for that early to mid 2000s era of writers where we still had the taste of King Roth and the God DeLillo in our mouths and Zadie Smith was still fuckable.

The New York Times Magazine is sometimes worth a shot.

NYRB is good strictly for the lulz. Mostly the occasional poem will make it worth it but they too have been getting into ultrashitty politics lite as of late (or has it alway been this way?)

Poetry is still worthwhile though most of the content is cringey.

LRB seems to be the most patrician though idk who the authors are half the time.

Tbh just read Nature or some shit lmao

I can't stand ntybr. It's just a forum for rich white ladies to us unironically whine about "sexism." The same is true of the New Yorker etc. It's far too political. That's what happens when you make the personal, political. All human relations lose any value or meaning beyond power. It's a grotesque view of the world. And the consequence is that aesthetic values are now seen as being sexist or racist or whatever. I don't think this kind of politics can hold up much longer though. It's too corrupt, too out of touch with reality.

this is my suspicion as well. the only literary magazine i used to read was the paris review, and that was only for the interviews (which are now behind a fucking paywall). i only read short stories if they are by authors i already like, are in collections, or have some kind of media buzz around them. and i'm someone who actually reads short stories pretty regularly. i imagine the readership for the smaller literary magazines is < 50 in most cases.

its kind of ironic because the only people who might actually read literary magazines are us hopeless plebs who want to get published in them, but we are exactly who they don't want to publish (nobody wants to read stories by literal who's). the last resort available to the magazines is to cash in on the culture of resentment or pray that somebody who has already sold a novel or two returns their email begging them to submit one of their old trunk stories.

but then, i've never actually read any of the publications that i've been published in. what's the point?

nintendo power

the ones I'm published in

McSweeney's

that one, but only because of this guy
newyorker.com/contributors/james-wood

>not NiC

>LRB seems to be the most patrician though idk who the authors are half the time.
Half of the shit in LRB is unreadable garbage written by the academics who win awards for their cervix-into-anus exercises. Take a look at their editorial board.

Veeky Forums approved? I don't know, the thread up to this point is pretty standard for the topic.
I've actually been reading these things for about a year, so I'll give my impression(pic related, one or two are missing).
Glimmertrain- Good. Generally at least one good story per issue since they only publish fiction.
Southern Review- Good.
Ploughshares- Has had some good stuff but also has had absolute drivel. Maybe because they have changing guest editors?
American Short Fiction- The one issue had some good stories.
Fiction- only read that one issue but it was good. Has international/translated stuff.
Catamaran- Only one issue, was not impressed.
Crazy Horse- I don't like them.
Iowa - Have not been impressed, but also haven't read all the stories.
Paris Review- this issue wasn't good.

Other/Online: I despise the New Yorker, McSweeney's, Granta, and Narrative.

Cincinnati Review, Glimmertrain, Fiction, and Southern review are the ones I plan to keep reading for the next year. I'll pick up new ones to replace what I drop, but I'm not decided on what yet.

forgot the picture

I love their classics and reprints, but the magazine is shit, i canceled my subscription.

Might as well be Slate

Meanwhile at New Criterion, there is an obvious attempt to analyze culture and provide literary diversion.

If you're in the UK there's Private Eye which is an excellent satirical/topical news magazine that is fortnightly and so manages to go in depth and has well-curated intelligent takes on the news rather than being the instant reactions from most newspapers or magazines (particularly those with an online presence).

Only drawback is that it often tries to be funny and only sometimes is