Thoughts on stephen king?

Thoughts on stephen king?
Is he an overrated author for horror plebs?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

This has been the 1,000,000 stephen king thread on /lit!!!!

Well Done Sir!

I will never read his books again because of how much of a faggot he is on twitter about Trump. I'm fine with people shitting on Trump, but when a grown man is so completely obsessed and whiny about him I can't take them seriously as a person.

Get in here it finally happened !!!

I got this intense feeling while reading the Dark Tower part one that I was wasting my life. I've never actually had that with a book, but I get it when playing video games or watching a really bad series. Liked the Shawshank Redemption and Children of the Corn, though, so I guess that just wasn't the book for me.

He's a top-tier pulp author, but that's about it. Good for getting preteens into reading.

>inb4 but his short stories are good

his short stories are good

I like it

I got the EXACT same feeling desu. I couldn't really put my finger on it- the book was kinda engaging and the writing wasn't horrible but the whole time I read it it felt like a waste of time, like I could really be reading something more important.

lol, now that you mention it, i remember i got that feeling while i was reading Doctor Sleep... and i ain't even kidding.

>the book was kinda engaging and the writing wasn't horrible but the whole time I read it it felt like a waste of time

yep, this.

I truly believe that King has the ability to create some of the most vivid and dynamic characters in all of literature.

A lot of people here on Veeky Forums will refute this violently, but this is only because they are pretentious and cannot stand to accept that a mainstream author might actually be good.

He will undoubtedly be remembered for quite some time for his incredible ability to create and utilize characters.

king is an ayy lmao and just mad that his puppet hillary didn't win.

11/22/63 is a quite good time travel story IMO.

I only got to book four in the Dark Tower before I stopped. That's how I felt and the whole thing felt like I was reading through molasses.

it got stupid when it got supernatural but I guess thats what I get for reading King

I really enjoyed Hearts In Atlantis but haven't read much else by King.

>I only got to book four in the Dark Tower before I stopped.
They got much worse after book 4 you stopped at the right place.

Feeling the same way about Christopher Moore, senpai. which is sad because I loved Lamb

The Shining, The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption are all superior as films to the books they are based on.

There was a progressive decline in quality and things I cared about going on.

Litrially the Veeky Forums equivalent of m night shyamalan

>WHAT A TWIST!!

Except his stories always have a hidden pedo element and shamalamalam's don't.

Yeah if the new IT movie doesn't have the 8:1 kid gangbang in the sewers, like the book, I'll be disappointed.

I honestly don't get how this guy got so much attention; quantity over quality comes to mind.

I haven't seen 1 (one) worthwhile work from him.

>his stories always have a hidden pedo

Aside from that scene from IT, can you list a few examples?

The Shining. Chasing his boy through the maze shouting "Danny, I'm coming to get you!"

Well, it speaks for itself, doesn't it?

>it speaks for itself, doesn't it?

Considering that the father was trying to kill his family, I'd say you're looking for shit too hard.

i feel like there is something fundamental about him that's important even if it's not technically the most literary and skillful writing ever
he's somewhat notable

Well, he's easily one of the most successful authors of the last century. That's got to count for something. Plus, he's gotten countless people interested in reading.

>Plus, he's gotten countless people interested in reading
Hardly.

>"""reading"""
Might as well watch television desu

the older he gets the worse he writes

I read a lot of Stephen King in my teen years. Like one user said above he makes incredible characters with outstanding character development. And his imagination can be interesting at times. Some books are intense engaging (The Stand is one of my favorite books of all time with one of my all time fav characters) while some I couldn't get into in anyway (The Girl who Love Tom Gordon).
His short stories can be on point (The Running Man, Desperation/Regulators etc etc) and even currently he can write pretty well (Under the Dome was pretty good).
However he is a huge fucking weirdo (See the kid gangbang in IT) and I like that he had a bad drinking and Coke problem, he wrote well during that (Cujo).
If you're willing to let yourself just go for the ride you can get a lot of enjoyment out his books and junk.

>he had a bad drinking and Coke problem, he wrote well during that
Coked out King is best King.

90% of his books have a murder element to them, do you assume he's a serial killer? Your logic is fucking retarded. He's a horror writer, and there are few things more horrific than pedophilia.

The library policeman.
Child sexual abuse is a really common theme in his stories.

gangbang ftw

>and there are few things more horrific than pedophilia.
I haven't even read It, but isn't the sex activity in the referenced scene played as a salvation-against-the-monster method, as distinguished from an oh-horrors-child-rape scene?

That one in particular, yes, but it's not child rape, exactly. People seeing the scene as some kind of glorification of child sex is more concerning to me than the author including it in the first place. It's supposed to be a pretty fucked up scene, and it is in my opinion. I'm not even trying to condone including it, just sick of people calling him some kind of pedophile for including this stuff in his books. It's supposed to make you feel uncomfortable and disgusted, that's what horror books do.

Stopped reading at four as well. My problem was with how each book got longer. Not with plot but with description. It's as if his editor, if such a thing exists, said "Fuck it. Go ahead and spend six pages describing the pimple on the ass of this one-off non-character and how it triggers an existential crisis in Jake in that, perhaps, all life is just a pimple waiting to be popped. You want to have a 10 page exposition of Jake explaining this to Oy? I smell a best seller!"

>Child sexual abuse is a really common theme in his stories.

Well, he was kind of sexually abused by a babysitter when he was younger.

Hence his habits in the abuse of children in his adulthood. There is typically a cycle.