/mulit/

Have you ever read a decent book by a musician?

thinking about checking out pic related but I feel like it will disappoint me.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Year_with_Swollen_Appendices
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Life_and_Opinions_of_the_Tomcat_Murr
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hector_Berlioz#Literary_works
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Wagner#Prose_writings
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>thinking about checking out
how much time are you going to spend doing that instead of actually reading it, mutard?

also I've read most of it. you should really read ligotti instead.

Musicians are uniformly pseuds 2bh. They can't help it. I think it's because it's possible for dumb people to be good musicians but impossible for dumb people to be good writers

>but I feel like it will disappoint me.

it will.

most musicians are, you know, focused on music. expecting a musician to be a good writer is a bit of a stretch, but if you can, locate a copy of Brian Eno's "A Year With Swollen Appendices"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Year_with_Swollen_Appendices

A lot of our most annoying and pretentious assholes on Veeky Forums are from /mu/. They need a good punch in the fucking face.

i would knock both of you out, fuck your girlfriends then publish a critically acclaimed book about it

you wouldn't get within 10 feet of me without crying before i knocked all your teeth down your throat.

it's obvious you've never been in a fight in your entire life, but keep larping sissyboy

This. Read this.

Don't read a novel written by a screaming rape cowboy hack.

Miles Davis' autobiography is like a jazz encyclopedia mixed with great coke stories

The book reads like it was written by an edgy middle schooler. Its above average at best. Gira is much better off making music desu.

I read Colin Meloy's YA book Wildwood. I would call it decent if you're into that kind of thing but I wouldn't say it was great nor would I recommend it to someone who wasn't into YA fantasy.

Nick Cave has put out two good books desu.

I enjoyed anthony keidis's autobiography. I read it when I was 15 so take that with a grain of salt.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Life_and_Opinions_of_the_Tomcat_Murr

it's pretty cozy

/thread

Is and will be the most pretentious musician in this thread so far

i enjoyed the heroin diaries, tommyland, and keith richards 'life'.
good books when kept on top of the toilet tank awaiting a long healthy shit.

Doctor faustus is the best synthesis of lit and mu although I would never recommend it to anglos
Even Mann himself writes in the last chapter "a translation into english would, at least in some sections, prove itself to be a thing of impossibility"

no need to state the obvious

To be a musician you have to have a stupid animal brain, like being connected to your inner monkey mind.
It doesn't make for a good writer brain where analysis and self awareness are important

there are one or two decent ones

some of them are fun. Slash, Lemmy and Keith Richards have all produced books full of rock and roll stories.

it was really quite bad. His small novella is abysmal also.

Has anyone read NIck C\ave's And The Ass Saw The Angel? I thought it actually seemed quite interesting due ti it being Southern Gothic.

pls no buly

Berlioz?
Wagner?
ETA Hoffmann?

They all wrote fiction as well as non-fiction, and wrote well at that. Gira's book is a bit contrived, but so what? You can find it on Libgen. Ligotti also plays music, does he count? Nick Cave's books are actually quite funny too, the audiobook of Bunny Munroe cracked me up. The Primal Screamer by Nic Blinko of the weirdo punk band Rudimentary Peni is also a good read of a descent into madness.

sorry moz

berlioz and wagner didnt write any fiction. they just blogged and shilled.

False, pleb. You rely too much on Wikipedia which is quite obviously incomplete:
Berlioz:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hector_Berlioz#Literary_works
That page does not mention his novella, "Euphonie, ou la ville musicale" which was published some years ago along with his other short stories. Pic related.

Wagner:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Wagner#Prose_writings
That page does not mention his short stories, some of which were written in French, e.g. "Un musicien étranger à Paris," also published with other short stories. Pic related.
>apology accepted

>novellas, short stories
everybody has those. doesnt make him a fiction writer.

Nice deflection.
If you bother to look at the list of their publications, you'd see they were both extremely prolific. ETA Hoffmann, on the other hand, now known as a writer, was primarily known as a composer in his lifetime. Of course a sense of perspective isn't to be found in spanners like yourself.

leave hoffmann out of it. i recommended him myself earlier ITT.
berlioz and wagner are literary lighweights compared to him.

Indeed I won't leave Hoffmann "out of it": he was a famous composer in his own day, but is known as an author no, and you conveniently neglect that a man's reputation is chiefly made by others.
Both Hector and Richard wrote fiction as I've shown, and wrote extensively outside of that. That they are known chiefly as composers nowadays is of no relevance to the point in question.

Incidentally, Hoffmann's fiction grew out of his musical criticism.

>Both Hector and Richard wrote fiction as I've shown, and wrote extensively outside of that
and i heartily disrecommend all of it.

Berlioz, yes, wrote absolutely awfully, especially as far as his fiction was concerned. Wagner's short stories - largely autobiographical, are still quite good.

However, you're backtracking again, you refuse to admit you were wrong and that they did write fiction. But that's fine, this is an anonymous pastaboard and your ego shouldn't be more bruised than necessary.

Your opinion is of little value, you're just some random plonker who goes by wikipedia and who pretends he has read books in languages he can't understand.

I love Zappa.

yeah i've read it. it's kind of faulknerish. it matches the music he was making at the time.

i've also read the death of bunny munro (which i liked better) and that also matches the music he was making then.

I actually kind of liked The Consumer, but it's nothing to literature like what Swans is to music.

It's not a collection to read from start to finish in any case, some of the imagery stuck with me, most of it certainly did not. So check out some of it if you're a fan, I remember liking the first short story quite a lot.

This. If you like Swans and are intrigued by weirdness and darkness for the sake of it then Ligotti should be right up your alley.