Hey guys

Hey guys.

Bookshelf and set up thread?

Have fun.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mZHoHaAYHq8
faculty.washington.edu/timbillo/Readings and documents/ABRIDGED READINGS for PERU/Wilson_1987_Little_things_that_run.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

why are you even on this board?

What does that even mean? What are you insinuating?

Is this a case of "stop liking what I don't like" mentality?

What's wrong with reading natural history? I have fiction also.

How was the vital question, I've read one Nick Lane book and liked it, I read power, sex and suicide

i just asked why you're on this board. i didnt insinuate anything. why are you so defensive? are you perhaps insecure? guilty conscience?

It's pretty hard going honestly. I'm a student of wildlife ecology, but I'm really not versed at all in biochemistry. It's a bit above my level but I tried at least! I do recommend though.

I think it's pretty obvious to most people that saying "even" is the key identifier here. The word "even" in this context implies something negative, like I shouldn't be on the forum or I'll be attacked for the books I like. That's what I reacted defensively. I just want people to post their bookshelves because it's interesting to see.

why I reacted*

Bit off-board but have to ask; favorite plant or plant family?

The senpai knows this. Don't listen to him, and don't give him any more (((You)))'s.

Hard to say. Probably the Fagaceae just to be common haha. I do love Oaks, but I also really like northern coniferous forests and mountain flora. Probably Pinaceae as well then. If it's not obvious, plants are my favourite thing. Entomology second to that.

This was when my desk was at its neatest. It has since been laden with a torrent of papers and pencil shavings.

I don't have a bookcase, so they take up an eighth of the available workspace on my shitty IKEA plank desk; at least they're within arm's reach, though.

>pencil shavings
Jesus Christ user.

Jesus Christ man. That is cosy as hell though. Very nice. Are you studying linguistics? Nice type writer also.

fuck off you pseud faggot

fuck off you pseud faggot (you'll become a better reader the day you stop reading for the image of being a reader)

...What? What the hell? These are my interests. Most of my books are ecology/botany related. What are you on about? Do I look like a "I want to start with the greeks" type of guy?

God damn, I don't know why I bother coming here. You're attacked constantly. No wonder I'm defensive. So much unfounded hostility. Grow up.

fuck off Veeky Forums with your shit, cunt

I agree.

Is it possible just to have a decent genuine conversation here anymore?

I love it.

I don't think I have a favorite plant family. When it comes to trees I am maybe most fond of both linden and horse chestnut.
I won't contribute with set-ups or bookshelves, so I think I'll leave it with this.

10/10

Well I appreciate your... proper input. Cheers. Horse chesnut is a nice tree. Aesculus hippocastanum.

>gazillion books about ecology
>favorite plants are the fagaceae
Very fitting I say.

Probably shouldn't mention that I sometimes stay up to 3am memorizing insect orders.

I looked at the course map for a degree in linguistics, and I found that it focused too much on sociology and anthropology. There weren't enough literature classes for my liking, so I opted for an English degree instead. I might consider a double major in linguistics, once I transfer, but I doubt it.

If you might be wondering at the make and model of the typewriter, it's an Olivetti Studio 45.

Fresh pencil shavings give off a nice aroma. Sometimes they cut into my forearms when I write, but I see it as a nice jolt of energy.

>not sure if absolute pseud trying to show put up the image of the literary lifestyle or if actual writer.

Either way I dig it, it looks cozy af.

lunch poems?

Definitely the former.

I'm just some kid trying to rehabilitate myself after having fucked around throughout my high school career, focusing the vocations. Now I go to a community college, constantly sulking in my despair while I wait for my transfer docs to pass.

I have had a short story published in some overseas literary mag, but I don't think it's good enough to warrant my being called a writer.

I need to get it sorted out, any one a nice system on hand? It's mostly history, politics and Scifi.

I'm really afraid that shelf will fall on you someday.

Can you take a photo so it's easier to see some of your books?

Also...potential safety hazard lol

Nice, proper cabinet. That's a lot of books.

Thanks, user. Someone actually threw it out in the trash. That's also why I want to paint it, to hide the broken foil (it's an '70s IKEA "Billy") behind some uniform colour.

Well, a lot is relative. Pic related is my final goal.

That's just showing off, you'd need three lifetimes to read that much.

thats like

Not really, I'm 27 and 95 percent of that cabinet are from the last 5 years.

Too much stuff on top of other stuff. Clean that mess, user.

>you'd need three lifetimes to read that much
Assuming that he's reading 1-3 books per week that looks like 5-6 years worth of books. Hardly three lifetimes.

>youd need 3 life times

Based on my calculations *adjusts glasses*, there's about 1,000 to 1,500 books. Assuming those are all 100k word novels, and assuming you read one per week, that's 20-30 years worth of reading. Considering a lot of those books are obviously reference material and some are even art books, and that an avid reader won't take an entire week to read even a 100k word novel, it's going to be considerably less than that.

So, no, it's not really even one lifetime's worth of reading. But you are correct about it mostly being showing off, as that is the entire fucking point of a keeping a book case instead of shoving them in boxes, reselling them, or donating them.

what the actual fuck? where do you live, user!?

>as that is the entire fucking point of a keeping a book case instead of shoving them in boxes, reselling them, or donating them
Besides the nice comfyness books produce I also just like to go through it and remember the times a read this and that. I have to admit, especially smelling their unique scent feels so nice. A couple are from my dead granny and opening them instantly transforms me to the little shit I was, while she made me ice cream with freash berries. Another couple ones have been rread while in a difficult life point, it feels nice to have overcome it. Nostalgia is a big part of it.

Germany. But it looks more expansive than it is. It's just a Billy with a nice crown and ffront plates.

>any one a nice system on hand?

Non-fiction: Dewey Decimal System
Fiction: alphabetically by author's last name, alphabetically by title with multiple books by the same author.

This isn't how I do it, but it is a generic recommendation. My non-fiction are arranged by topic in a way that makes sense to me, and fiction alphabetically by author's last name but chronologically with multiple books by the same author.

1/4 I did the best I could to make titles/authors readable

>Dewey Decimal System
youtube.com/watch?v=mZHoHaAYHq8

user, you forgott your pic related.

Every fucking time...I'm just going to delete and repost haha

How can someone be this retarded and post, not one, but FOUR empty posts.

I'm kekeing

2/4

Op here. Nice contribs guys.

Thanks. Btw I had a lot more books once but I gave them to a charity shop because my interests shifted. I used to bulk buy ancient history and mythology. Not so interested now though.

3/4

At least I can count to three, user.

And I'm going to blame my 80 work weeks and how stoned and sleep-deprived I am right now.

Nice Silmarillion. You can tell I like tolkien from my OP, but I haven't gotten around to HoMe or Unfinished Tales. A bit TOO obscure.

That's class.

Is that an insect book I see? Never seen anyone on this forum with an interest in insects until today...And I've been here for years.

4/4

Nice cat

It is. I wouldn't necessarily consider myself especially interested in insects, but I have at least a passing interest in and would like to have some knowledge in just about any topic.

It's honestly a bit irritating that I (OP) got called out with this shit:

"fuck off you pseud faggot (you'll become a better reader the day you stop reading for the image of being a reader)" by But no one else has despite the fact they you could take a lot of these books as similar "academic" material. Or maybe I should just stop listening and caring to what these hostile types of people say?

Good attitude. I'm sort of the opposite. I don't really care about human affairs or politics in the slightest. I'm just bloody autistic when it comes to ecology and plants and insects specifically... Should branch out.

Here's the cover, btw. I've been posting here for a few years as well, but I've only recently found myself in a reasonably stable living situation so the books have just been taken out of boxes and shelved for the first time in about four years so they haven't been posted before now.

Very nice.

I don't know if you're sufficiently into for the reccomendation to be worthwhile but I read Essential Entomology by George McGavin (see OP). It's a bit old now, but it's like the standard textbook on entomology. I have a habit of reading textbooks like normal books. I don't know if that's good or bad but whatever... It helps overall understanding.

I did read the silmarillion but...
Sadly, Kitty and bookcase isn't mine. I just like to collect nice Veeky Forums pictures.

Someone just has been salty and has left the thread after shitting on you. Don't take it personaly. We all started as pseuds.

The thing is, I'm not even sure what a pseud is. Pseudo? Fake? I don't really...do meme culture here. I just read what I read. I'm not trying to show off. I don't think I'm some ultra genius edgy person. I'm not that smart. I'm only doing a bachelor's degree. I just like plants and nature. You know? I don't get why I was called out at all. I just read what I read. I would never say anything bad about anyone's books unless it was some guy taking a selfie actually properly dressed in a fedora and a suit and pointing to his philosophy collection.

Don't take it personally. Salty people just come and go, they vent and piss off again. You're doing good. This board tends to get to much of on elitism. Just ignor egofagging.

Btw I can higly recommend the Silmarillion if you're into LOTR. It's far more complex and rather comparable with the bible (not surprising if you know something about Tolkien) but it will give you a whole new world around the old stories.

>I don't really care about human affairs or politics in the slightest

I like to stay aware of what's going on on the world around me, but I don't really espouse any political beliefs beyond how to live best for myself given the world I'm in. Still, I like to explore how things like politics, economics, etc. work, hence the books by Wallerstein and pic related, for example.

>I'm just bloody autistic when it comes to ecology and plants and insects specifically

These are topics that I haven't read as much on yet. I do have some knowledge when it comes to the most general and basic topics of biology and ecology, but nothing to brag about. I also have read some on genetics also, which I find very interesting and will likely pursue in the near future.

I will at least check the book out. Odds are it will at least end up somewhere on my incredibly long list of books I hope to read someday.

>I have a habit of reading textbooks like normal books

I do this to an extent also.

Why does that cat have such entry level taste?

Yeah, I've noticed. The board hosts a particular... kind of person.

Anyway, by the way I'm OP. Check my image. I have the Sil. I'd say I'm a die hard Tolkien fan but yeah I still havent read History of Middle Earth or Unfinished Tales.

Didn't know Anaconda also sells Homer in a single band. Well, at least it's handier in two. Is this one of those Lies-Korans or did you actually waste money on it?

The reason I stay away from politics is because when you read enough natural history you realise how insignificant we are. If there's one thing about which I'm passionate...it's that human's really aren't all that special. I highly reccomend reading E O Wilson's short essay

faculty.washington.edu/timbillo/Readings and documents/ABRIDGED READINGS for PERU/Wilson_1987_Little_things_that_run.pdf

We're just a tiny part of an insect empire, really. I'm not even romanticizing. We are due to their sheer number and the ecosystem services they provide. Anyway, this isn't an ecology forum so I'll shut up.

>We're just a tiny part of an insect empire
Quality>Quantity

Insects actually do a lot, lot more for us than we do for them or for this planet. So they win on both fronts, friend.

Pollination, soil aeration, nutrient cycling and decomposition, seed dispersal, food for higher organisms, etc etc.

What do we do? Fuck things up.

Sorry I'll be quiet now.

Back to books and shelves.

>if we slave for the homo sapiens sapiens we win
>t. trudeauant

Complexity matters. I understand your faszination and interest but in the end of the day a higher beeing is superior simply by the fact that it can make the lower one useless (with enough time the human specieous has no real boundaries in recreating creation).

Insects are mere Automatons. You should read more about the human kind instead of falling for the citinic monolith.

>What do we do? Fuck things up.
That's a very, very one dimensonal and self hating view. Species die and arise. And we are able to learn from our mistakes, unline lower animals.

I hear you. My desire to remain aware of politics and other human issues despite how "insignificant" we are comes from the fact that I am a human who is most overtly influenced and acted upon by other humans. If a colony of ants attacks another and annihilates it, that doesn't directly affect me. But, if another country attacks the one in which I live, that could certainly have a direct impact on my life.

Granted, events of a large enough scale involving bugs (e.g. the depletion of the world's bee population) can directly affect me, but you could make a substantively similar argument about virtually any topic from politics to entomology to meteorology to sacred geometry. You can make any of these the most significant factor governing our world, depending on perspective.

I admit, I felt regret when I posted
"What do we do? Fuck things up".

I know that's not right at all. This year will be my 4th year studying ecology and biodiversity. I know it's not that simple. We humans are the ones with the control. Anthropogenic influences are negative but they're also incredibly good. We're the ones that have the foresight and will power to save entire species if we choose. We're the intelligent ones.

The reason I said "fuck things up" was partly influenced by my annoyance with a humanocentric world view. That is, we humans always think of ourselves. Barely anyone sticks up for the little guys that run the world...

Well said. I have nothing to add but to point to this other reply I wrote to someone else

A likely story...

I need concrete reasons on why I would need to tidy up.

The time I would be spending on cleaning my desk would be the same amount of time spent on looking for things within said mess. I never liked clean desks anyway; something about a clean environment is non-conducive to productivity for me.

From a video I took to remind of some of the books I gave to the charity.

1/5

2/5

3/5

4/5

I was looking through different Iliad editions at the book store, but decided to go for this one because Johann Heinrich Voß did the translation and I felt like he did Homer most justice with his lyrical style. Also this one was extremely cheap, only 10 Euros. I'm a bit of a Anaconda fanboy because their books are so ridiculously cheap, which helps me build up a decent bookshelf and they have some ancient texts that I can't find anywhere else.

I was looking out for the LIES stands to get a free one but never came across one. But I liked the handiness of this one and it is also bilingual which I always love. This Koran was only like 3 Euros too. My Bible with Rembrandt paintings cost me fucking 16 Euros which was a hard pill to swallow. In retrospect I should've bought a Study Bible anyway.

5/5

Tell me how much of a meme I am, anons.

I hate bookshelves. What if, God forbidden, something bad happens and you lose the books?
Or what if you have to move?
Or if you wet them books?
Or if you rip them by mistake or by somebody else's mistake?

Kindle is the best thing ever! I can hold 10,000 books in my hand without a problem! How 'bout you?

i have both kindle and books. i read kindle only when i lack access to said books. they are a digital back up, nothing more. books are ultimately superior.

Way too few textbooks. Read some hard science or mathematics my dude.

I know this is a pretty boring subject by now, but I just don't agree with kindles and their ilk. Books are far superiour for their aesthetic quality. Plus if someone comes round to your house your bookshelf is a likely talking point. Also books are just nice cultural objects...

Didn't mathematics in his time mean something like 4th grade geometry?

Geometry yes, 4th grade no. And while you don't have to study topology to start with philosophy, studying STEM subjects is a wonderful way to broaden your mind.

J E N N Y D E A T H W H E N

E

N

N

Y

D

E

A

T

H

W

H

E

N

i have that same polka dot pillow

>What if, God forbidden, something bad happens and you lose the books?

My house would have to burn down. In that case a few hundred burnt books would be the least of my worries.

>Or what if you have to move?

U+Haul + being an adult male

>Or if you wet them books?

How would this happen? There would have to be a flood. In that case see above.

>Or if you rip them by mistake or by somebody else's mistake?

Then I would close the tear with tape. What happens if you break your gay little e-reader?

>Kindle is the best thing ever! I can hold 10,000 books in my hand without a problem!

I only read 40-50 books a year, so why would I need 10,000?

I really like your Tolkien collection, friend! Would you like to see mine? Unfortunately one book (Bilbo, le hobbit) is boxed in my storage and thus divorced from the rest. Nonethelesser, I hope you enjoy.

Great. Better than mine! I've said it before but uIll say it again, I really need to get on Unfinished Tales at a least... Then maybe History of Middle Earth.

Are you going to get the new Beren and Luthien book?

To bait morons like you.