Yes.

>Canadians
>ever good.

They have Anne Carson. She redeems everything

that's a weird way to spell Alice Munro

Except that is a decent book

>le feminism
>girl power!
>Christianity is bad (but Islam is good)
>sluts are good

wow, we need to tell /pol/ and /r9k/. atwood belongs in the kitchen, not writing books

I don't really think so. it's so far-fetched that you can't take it seriously as a social commentary.
>what if the u.s.a was taken over by radical christians that forced women to be sex-slaves???
the premise has no basis in reality. It's a fundamental misunderstanding of american christian extremists. she doesnt seem to understand how geopolitics work.
Also it's sort of revealing that she writes a book about a totalitarian takeover that forces women into servitude and sexual submission. It reads more like a personal fantasy than a critique of christian conservatism (which i assume is what it is)

Yet this would have been completely realistic if it was Islam. The Democrats/leftists trying to push the US to become Islamic. Since she used Christianity, I can only assume she's trying to subvert western values and culture.

Women are being brainwashed to destroy whiteness

Have you watched the show? Literally all the morally good characters are non-white.

that's so unrealistic. in reality they are mostly criminals and rapists. see jails today, whereas the white man is doing much better because we're more rational and logical

Mordecai Richler Mon dudes

Doesn't it also take place in a kind of post-apocalyptic future where something has happened that has left most women sterile? Isn't that the entire reason for the Handmaid setup?

Dude, you're like a shining beacon of the rational. /pol/ always told me Veeky Forums was full of Communists and leftists. Good to see some redpilled volk around. Shadilay.

*blocks your path*

Sterility is rampant because of STDs and global warming but the actual Handmaid thing is only done because it's what every Christian in America ACTUALLY wants and is, apparently, Biblically justified and was what was done in Medieval Europe. I have to reiterate: The Handmaid thing is done because LOLCHRISTIANS XD, not because of infertility.

Again, like said, at best it's just cheap schlick material for raunchy middle aged and class women. It fundamentally misinterprets (for the sole sake of slander) Christianity, European history, and Christian beliefs. Polygamy has NEVER been acceptable in any Christian sect.

>it's unrealistic therefore it's bad

t. autist

you think it's okay women choose their own sex partners? your the reason whiteness is disappearing

>implying she doesn't

Alice Munro is great.

Now, fuck off.

Honestly I think I would've liked the novel if Atwood engaged more in the Christian theocracy aspect of the world but I don't think Atwood is knowledgable about how Churches operate.

Imagine if you will The Goyim's Tale, wherein the Jews control the world and the gentiles function as their cattle.

Imagine a world in which all critics encouraged to read this book, and a heavily promoted series based on it was produced for TV.

Well, of course, this is unimaginable.

Because the media is too (((evenhanded))) to produce something so antisemitic. Amirite?

Second. Read Deptford Trilogy.

It's not so cut and dry, but I understand wanting to defend Christianity while not being an apologist. I think a cheap shot at any religion is usually justified, especially if the defenders can't come back and say anything but, "Hey, this seems great. Can we make this world happen now."

And I've never read the book, or saw the movie. I don't care enough about it to not get the gist from one trailer or from your weak derision.

How about some Father Henry Allain?

This guy gets it

>I think a cheap shot at any religion is usually justified

Fair enough, if there's a level playing field.

There isn't, so it's not.

And that unlevel playing field *is* cut and dried. It's simply a fact.

Jews are sacrosanct. As many nasty things as one can say about Christians that are true, one can say just as many things about Jews that are true. But the second category of things can't be said, although Jews will and do happily say and promote the first category of things.

I read this book in like 11th grade and loved it. When I was done with ti I never thought about it again.

Now I see it associated with girl power and feminism blah blah. Why can't people just read a book, enjoy it or hate it, and leave it alone? I don't know what exactly the issues with society are today but I'm sick of it.

A
FUCKING
LEAF

Roberston Davies
Mordecai Richler

Malcolm Lowry is the only good one I've ever read.

Under The Volcano is a great book. I don't know how this wasn't mentioned further up.
And only one user posted a literal Nobel Prize winner. Who the fuck posts on this board now?

JUST NUKE THEM ALREADY.

Malcolm Lowry was an Englishman. Spending a few years in Canada doesn't make him Canadian.

tv series is good desu

>thank god nobody has a different opinion around me!

Hi Norm!

It's definitely an emotionally manipulative book. It preys on the fears of liberal readers in order to create an oppressive atmosphere. But, it's really effective at what it does. Clearly, if you're a conservative reading it you're going to feel attacked, but it's still not a bad book. Not that it's saying anything profound, either. Still, I guess you could take it as a point about how far we've come since medieval times where women were *literal* property, and maybe feminism needs perspective. I'm sure that wasn't the intent though.

Her other books are better, mostly because it's more obvious she's writing science fiction. There's less of a feeling that anything plausible is going on and we can just accept the way her world works without going "but this would never happen"

This book sounds like one my doujinshis.

It's a funny book because western women are severely depressed and killing themselves because they're in their 30s without children or even a steady man who thinks of them as more than a booty call when they can't snag anyone at the club.

So do you want Christians to be "in control" so as to say and promote anti-Jewish sentiment, or do you want to write a book like this with their religion as the oppressor and have it promoted by Jewish people?

Either way, you're an idiot living in a bubble if you don't see any nuance to this. Have you ever been inside a parliament building and looked around? Do you even understand the stupidity of your statements about what is actually sacrosanct? I couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays until the law changed just ten, fifteen years ago.

You have a point when it comes to media bias, maybe, but not when it comes to reality. Maybe you're afraid because you're trapped in the present moment outrage machinery of some political identity. But I'm more concerned about the structural playing field in the long term - basically, if you're right about the media playing field, then you've uncovered a market which can be capitalised on.

That's my game, chief.