Who is the David Lunch of literature?

Who is the David Lunch of literature?

anyone whose weird for the sake of being weird.

>Who is the David Lunch of literature?

An utter hack? That's easy--Pynchon.

lit... erature

Stephen King

Flann O'Brien

middlebrow american Jacques Rivette

vonnegut

Dougie Jones!

Dougie Jones

Kafka crossed with Jung. Throw in Kline and Wilder to complete the picture, though neither produced literature to my knowledge.

Jacques Lacan.

All non-Jacques Lacan replies will be false.

Lynch was inspired by Kafka. He's also worked with writers Barry Gifford and Mark Frost.

Lynch is inspired by many people and many things. You're so simplistic it hurts

ITT: Literal brainlets

Just because Lynch makes confusing material doesn't mean either that it's complex or good.

Probably Samuel Beckett

You're right. However he does make good films.

Neither does it mean that it isn't -- which seems to be exactly your opinion - it's weird and you don't like it, therefore it must be 'pretentious'. You didn't use that word but that's probably what you think.
Indeed, most people who appreciate Lynch's work do not think it's all that complex, so that's entirely irrelevant. The assumption of supposed complexity always comes from "weird for the sake of being weird" shitposters.
I don't have much fondness for most of his work, nonetheless, I'm inspired and fascinated by it. I think Fire Walk With Me is a masterpiece.

william s burroughs

That's a whole lot of assumption. I enjoy some of Lynch, but most of it seems very inconsequential. There's a general rule not just to film but to any narrative medium, which is that any lingering shot or emphasis on a subject should have some discernable significance. Much of the stuff Fire Walk with Me, like the first half, could not have made any sense at all. If you claim to be any smarter than me, explain the significances in the following:
What is the number on power pole in the trailer park supposed to signify?
Why is the random tramp with the icebag on her eye important?
Why did the lumberjack in the Room Above the Apartment tap his knee?

Yes, Lynch has some great imagery, but the emphasis on the shots imply importance.

Just why?

*room about the convenience store
Whoops.

I'm as much confused by your asking the questions as you are by their meaning. Based on your inquiries, I can safely say I don't get you as a person, whereas, I think, you really just don't "get" Lynch - which is not a judgement on intelligence, don't misunderstand - and that's okay. You needn't try to like his work. To each their own.

& before you or someone calls me pretentious - I'm not suggesting there's some deep meaning you don't grasp - rather that you don't get the fundamental spirit of his work, which is why you're asking those questions in the first place. But, again, you don't have to try and like or understand it.
I'd love to talk but I'm going to sleep, I'm not American.

Lynch is all-style no-substance shallow obscurantist fluff for pseuds who think art is about being wowed by surreal visual effects, so probably either Finnegans Wake or (depending on your opinion, and despite having some actual content to his fluff here and there by accident) Samuel Beckett, who incidentally sucked the dick of the guy who wrote Finnegans Wake.

You could also try Pynchon, if you want middlebrow shit that pseuds force themselves to think they like because they were told it's supposed to be prestigious.

I'm not saying everything has to be meaningful. Like I said, imagery is great, but the emphases on such things imply some connectivity.

Man, Im only baffled by how posters like this exist. I mean, with the internet being so readily accesible you would think they would be some effort. That they would at least familiarize themselves with the context of what they're speaking about and make an attempt at some form of objetivity or at the very least some concessions that there may be something they either don't understand or aren't aware of. However, that's too much to ask. It's better to parade with empty, reductionist and deliberately ignorant so-called "opinions". In this post, user dismissed Thomas Pynchon, James Joyce, Samuel Beckett and David Lynch by no criterion but some perceived audience he calls the "pseud". I honestly am baffeld how he can do this and then find offense when some normie makes fun of the very act of reading when he's no better than they.

Buy my book.

>narrative
Why do you think film is a narrative medium? That's a pretty bold statement.

damn you slammed him, big ups