Looking for some decent horror that isn't pretentious or art-house horror

Looking for some decent horror that isn't pretentious or art-house horror.

Bonus points for stories involving a modern (or at least fairly recent--90s and later) setting or cosmic horror/great unknown/behind the curtain.

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/lit/thread/S6062403):
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>pls no art house horror
Now this is pretentious

The strain trilogy by del toro
Let the right one in
Roadside picnic (reads like a modern setting)

Art house horror is some of the worst crap ever put out, regardless of the medium.

>The strain trilogy by del toro
Good potential, falls apart toward the end though. Still worth a read if you like the subject matter (vampires)

You're such a weenie

I just don't find it interesting or even remotely horrifying. Don't get me wrong, there are a few good examples, at least in movies (It Follows, The Babadook) but those have such high acclaim that you know what you're getting into before committing. Most of the time, you get shit that is 2deep4me while trying to break genre standards without a need to do so. Either that, or the standards are broken in such a poor way that the intended meaning is lost in a swarm of poorly written dialogue and descriptions. I mean, if you have some art-house horror suggestions that are considered good by a majority of people, give 'em to me.

Revelation Space

your such a fucking pleb i almost didnt reply but oh no. get the fuck off my board you fucking philistine and never return

also check out Event Horizon

forgot to sage

are you implying that event horizon is good?
opinion fucking disregarded

>are you implying that event horizon is good?
not him but it's pretty good, yeah.

no it's not

>Bonus points for stories involving a modern (or at least fairly recent--90s and later) setting or cosmic horror/great unknown/behind the curtain.

Laird Barron

Thomas Ligotti, or if that's 3deep5u or you happen to be a natalist you can fuck right off this board.

Nice argument mate

you're the one who thinks event horizon is good. the burden of proof falls to you.

>the burden of proof
lol you are talking about a space horror movie you try hard doofus.

nice argument, fuckstain

House (1977)

holy shit you are such a try hard.

they are only horror movies you posturing dope.

Veeky Forums, what are some good horror/thriller books about vampires?

Check the archives cunt. There was a thread a few months ago with a bunch of recs.
Here that should keep you occupied for months.

Halloween 3 Season of the Witch

>Thomas Ligotti

Any suggestions as to where to start? Would his short story collections be a good stepping off point?

(1) There are some great finds on the Too Much Horror Fiction blog, and his write-ups are topnotch.

He tipped me to a couple of books I really dug, including The Search for Joseph Tully by William Hallahan, a super-comfy, great read.

>Creating an inescapable mood of wintry dread hanging over a soon-to-be-demolished historical apartment building in a disused part of Brooklyn, author William H. Hallahan skillfully brings together two disparate stories in a frigid climax of suggestive '70s horror.

>There are lots of people looking forlornly out of windows onto landscapes of frozen fields and streets and rundown cities trapped in snowy desolation, while the apartment building slowly empties out beneath swirling winds and high clouds moving out towards the black waters of the North Atlantic. Everywhere there is palpable cold and frost and snow and slush, and all the while terrors whisper across generations, mysterious terrors of vengeance and lost souls unmoored from justice and eternal rest, which only man can render unto man, no matter what.

(2) The Suicide Motor Club by Christopher Buehlman. Good to very good vampire novel. Very enjoyable read. Buehlman is a top-notch prose stylist. I am currently reading an earlier vampire book by the same author, The Lesser Dead. The plot is not as engaging as Suicide Motor Club, which really rocks.

The Books of Blood are the best horror stories I've ever read. Start there.

>There was a thread a few months ago with a bunch of recs.

Looked, can't find it. Link?

A couple of lists posted a while back (from here: warosu.org/lit/thread/S6062403):

Koja - The Cipher
Simmons - Song of Kali, Summer of Night, The Terror
Ketchum - Girl Next Door, Off Season
Aycliffe - Naomi's Room
Barker - Books of Blood, Damnation Game
Ligotti - Grimscribe, Teatro Grotesquo, etc
Matheson - Hell House, I am Legend
Bradbury - Something Wicked This Way Comes
Shelley - Frankenstein
Lovecraft - Whatever collection you find
T.E.D Klein - Ceremonies, Dark Gods
Lindqvist - Let the Right One In
Skipp & Spector - Light at the End
Morrell - Totem
Streiber - Wolfen
McCammon - They Thirst
Straub - Ghost Story
Laymon - The Cellar, The Woods are Dark
Laimo - Deep in the Darkness
Smith - Ruins
Piccirilli - A Choir of Ill Children

Watts - Blindsight
Stokoe - Cows
Ballard - High Rise
King - Dead Zone, Pet Sematary, It, Misery, Night Shift, Salem's Lot
Rowe, Enter, Night

Barron - The Imago Sequence, The Croning
Blackwood - Ancient Sorceries and Other Weird Stories
James (Henry) - Turn of the Screw
James (M.R.) - Curious Warnings
Campbell - Alone with the Horrors

How fucking stupid are you? I linked the fucking thread number in my post.

>The Terror
Currently reading this, unfortunately, the copy I have is falling apart, at least the first 80 pages or so. Fucking libraries man.

Wolfen is terrible. Tried to read it, mostly because I remember the movie, or should I say, I remember exactly one scene from the movie, where they're at the coroner for the lady and there are bloody pearls on the grass and the ME says that there are no patterns- even the sharpest blades have a cut pattern, but whatever cut the lady didn't have any-

Anyway, the book is terrible. Well, the prose is terrible, and that's usually what makes me a drop a book.

Probably can't go wrong with the Penguin Classics one, although Teatro Grottesco is often considered his best collection. Conspiracy is a great piece of non-fiction for a larger pessimist/existential framework.