Classic Cocktails Thread

Has anyone been confronted with blank stares while ordering your favorite classic cocktail at, what you thought, was a fine eating establishment? Sometimes, I think it’s just a lazy waiter not wanting to take the next step in asking the bartender. Once I had the bartender come out and ask me how to make it, which I did. I think the main problem is youth. Young wait staff and young bartenders, but honestly what are they teaching bartenders to make these days? What’s your favorite old school cocktail that elicited a “what” response? Pic related.

>old school cocktail
Nobody knows what you're talking about because nobody has ordered that shit in 60 fucking years, you hipster faggot.

what kind of flyover bar doesn't know how to make a negroni? It's a very basic cocktail. This has never happened to me and I order these all the time.

>hey can i get a rum and coke
>uhh i dont know how to make that sorry

On the off occasion when I order a cocktail I go for a Manhattan, and usually make it dry because they add too much sweet vermouth to it.

This

I live in hipster faggotville, but not a member of meme clan. You would think hipster faggots would be steeped in the knowledge of all things COCKtail.

I love a Sazerac, but I never order it outside of NOLA...

Sorry the bar you're a regular at is only frequented by dumbass frat boys who do fireball shots and white girls drinking vodka sodas

Negronis are my favorite summer drink other than gin on the rocks.

>fireball shots
More proof Idiocracy is real.

>hipsters
>steeped in any actual knowledge

>I'M SOPHISTICATED BECAUSE I ORDER COCKTAILS PEOPLE ONLY DRANK IN 1908
Sad!

Negroni is pretty damn common. Its a meme drink like Aperol Spritz or a Moscow Mule in a copper cup.

Hipster it up by ordering aviation or last word.

Luckily I don't have this problem since literally nobody working in a bar hasn't heard of a gin and tonic.

I asked for a black Russian once & was told "we don't do any of them fancy drinks here." That was the it though.

>I'm cool because I just drink to get drunk no matter if it tastes like horse piss, i'm dead inside because my uncle touched my no no spots for 8 years and my family is disappointed that I'm a worthless wine-o failure

Why not?

I only drink straight bourbon or whiskey when I drink liquor so it's just a matter of what brands they have available

cause hes a cunt who thinks "they just dont make it right any where else"

its not that bars dont know how to make it perse, its just about weather bars in flyover shit dick collage towns have the stuff on hand for it(or good quality shit), or that theyre the kind of bars that have no sence of ballance and eigther water shit down or boooooooze it p with well and its gross(in my home town if you order a gin and tonic you get a gallon of siiiiit gin ad an eye dropper of tonic)

>It has to be old and obscure to be good

I only drink alone at home because I don't like going out to do things, so I just wing it with whatever I happen to have on hand. Don't really do anything fancy because I only have one kind of liquor at a time. Don't think the local grocery store has much of what I'd need either.

>If it's old and obscure it can;t be good

>perse
>weather
>collage
>ballance
>eigther
Son I think you might need to spend some time in those flyover shit dick "collage" towns, you might actually gain some education by proximity.

user it's time for you to stop drinking for the night.

A lot of places don’t have absinthe on hand. Even when I see some behind the bar, it’s been hit and miss on how they make it. I saw one bartender google the recipe one night and then when the drink was served it had absinthe poured in it, instead of just rimming the inside of the glass.

>What do you MEAN you don't have bitters that were only used in a small region of new england in the 1890's? What kind of podunk shit bar is this?

look, if you got what i was trying to say then good, if your just gonna be a nazi about it then fuck off

>I was only pretending to be retarded!

you can comment on the content or be a grammar nazi, fuck off

Already: Your content is directly condescending towards others you perceive to be flyover and uneducated, but you can't even use the right homophones yourself. You're a hypocritical, self-righteous retard.

>Negroni is pretty damn common
I know this, and you know this, but look at how many have posted in this thread who have no idea what it is or think a simple 1-2-3 recipe is somehow “hipster”. I starting to wonder if the name of the drink is scaring off the youngster waitstaff and bartenders. Is it because “Negroni” is being mixed up with “negro” and their little PC antennas go up?

i live in a flyover, bourn in a flyover, shit sucks here, im not being mean or shitty, flyover land is not a good place for nice drinks...great place for cheap and getting drunk, but not for anything fancy(every drink or food trend than hits the costs hits us 2 or 3 years late and end up being a bunch of local douches being condescending and unoriginal.....realy great bars are far and few between(unless your in chicago)

Get the FUCK out of here with your racism.

Honestly, probably that yea.

...and there it is.

I only really drink cocktails at home so as not to inconvenience bartenders in busy establishments. I'm a bartenders bar fly.

aviation is far and away the worst classic cocktail. it tastes like handsopa. last word is deez but chartreuse is not really my go to.

if it's hot, I usually go with a cognac french 75 or a jungle bird. but if I'm trying to stay warm maybe a rum old fashioned or a sazerac. Last time I was asked what a drink was by a waiter (at a really nice place in FIDI NYC) it was when I ordered a fancy free. I explained and got a pretty good expression. Or Maybe when I ordered a tom n jerry but I can understand if a nice place still can't make it.

So you're just a cunt, good job.

i prefer dick, but thanks...pardon me for being honest about the state of bars i the midwest

The state of the shit bars you attend, apparently. I live in fucking Montana and don't have that problem. Stop visiting cheap biker bars and you might get the "quality" drink you're looking for.

>i prefer dick
yeah, we can tell

>cognac french 75
I like those. I’ve had success with a Kentucky 75 as well, made with bourbon instead of gin.

i dont drink at biker bars, i tend to drink at industry spots, im not saying that there is no good drinking, just that 70+% of the bars are craptastic at mixed drinks in the fly overs

i haven't tried that but sounds kind of vile. not a huge fan of whiskey desu. More of a brandy guy in general.

If you like whiskey, have you checked out a lot of the manhattan variants? I like red hook and brooklyn the most so far. Black manhattan is really good too tho.

I've heard this happen eating next to a couple one night.
I had to stifle a laugh

The kind that gets normal people instead of faggoty urbanites and soyboi's.

>Negroni is pretty damn common.
No.
It's not.

Campari tastes like shit, and only faggots order some bullshit cocktail with that garbage.

>I keep drinking at biker bars and they're terrible! Wah!
You're clearly too stupid to recognize dive bars when you see one.
I've had to explain more drinks in metro bars than I ever have in bumfuck nowhere bars. You're retarded.

spoken like a faggot that has never tried a well made drink. Maybe try a negroni sometime before you accuse someone who drinks them of being a soyboi

>drinks miller lite
>accuses someone who drinks high proof bitter cocktails of being a soyboi

pic related is you

You are using a group of people in this board for your double blind study on how many people know what a negroni is?

if you think campari tastes like shit, what do you think tastes good?

>whiteknighting for faggot drinks while accusing others of being a faggot

>tried to order a mint tulip
>bartender laughs at me

Bourbon whiskey.

bourbon is just okay. cognac is where it's at tho. admittedly, whiskey is often better had neat than it is in cocktails.

>go to highest rated Italian restaurant in the city
>ask for negroni
>waitress looks at me weird
>"What did you say???"
>"Could I get a uh...negroni?"
>She walks off before anyone finishes ordering
>manager comes over with two dudes in black t-shirts
>He says they don't tolerate racism and we have to leave

>the "best" Italian restaurant in town didn't know what a negroni was and thought I called the black waitress a little negro

Fucking nuke this place.

well I guess not everyone in this thread is an hard-on alcoholic maybe

>aviation is far and away the worst classic cocktail
yeah nah get fucked cunt

>an hard-on alcoholic
I think I know what you mean. Someone that dependent on alcohol isn’t going to be into cocktails; they’ll be into a handle of Taaka.
The thread is classic cocktails; if that’s not your thing, that’s fine, by why post here? Go find a thread about nachos or pop-tarts. Something you know and appreciate.

Fuck. Off.

My old uni bar banned negronis because they felt it was racially charged. You could still order them under a different name.

>your double blind study
No study. This is a discussion about cocktails that have been around forever, what people like, and the experiences they’ve had ordering things they love. I thought that bartenders would have a shared knowledge of certain drinks, because many have histories and their origins and evolutions sometimes overlap. Drinks like Old Fashions, Manhattans, Martinez, etc..if you’re into to it, add to the conversation.

Pleez tell me this is bait. It’s a guys name. The drink is named after an Italian dude.

That's fucking retarded but also genuinely disrespectful in its own right. Glad my unis weren't infested with seppo sjw idpol bullshit

Even if you say that, I can totally see some retarded frat boy ordering this because it sounds like niger.

Last time I was in Ireland, some backpacker type guy came into the pub and asked for a Black and Tan. Resulted in a "what", but not the kind I think you mean OP.
That was an interesting experience.

>because it sounds like niger.
But it doesn’t. It’s pronounced NEH-groan-EE. Maybe if the retarded frat boy read it off the drinks menu, but that’s a big gamble he’s reading the drinks menu.

Could’ve been worse. I had a similar backpacker friend that made the mistake of ordering an Irish Car Bomb in Ireland.

Campari is supposed to be bitter, retards. It's a mixer, not a drink.

>Thinking Negronis aren't common.
Maybe at Chuck's Fuck and Suck Dive Bard, but in any city cocktail bar, they will know how to make them.

>Order a Martini
>What kind of Vodka do you want?
>Turn 360 degrees and walk away

I ask for a Cuba Libre because I like the little bit of lime juice they put in, but at most places I have to say "Rum and coke" like a pleb.

The lime juice is the best bit

That probably didn't work out well.

An old Irish bartender friend of mine's response to that is "Christ, I dont go 'round ordering a 9/11 when I'm in america, now do i?"

When I'm working I usually ask them gin or vodka, followed by what kind of granish.

Personally I love a good Dry Gin martini 2-1 with a lemon twist.

That shits classic.

Holy shit a cocktail thread? On my Veeky Forums? I'm amazed.

Recently ordered a sidecar in a self labeled chic cocktail bar. Saw confusion on the bartenders face. Then I saw him get out his phone and Google it.

He actually made it though and it was pretty good. And now he might know it for future orders.

Pic unrelated

Christ. The response I saw was a broken nose. Wasn't the bartender, granted. But he didn't look too happy either.
Maybe it was just the wrong pub.

Cognac is to Brandy what Champagne is to Sparkling wine, no?
Is it really so different that it's worth grabbing a bottle over the "anywhere else" stuff?

Was at a restaurant the other day (Supposed to be a sort of pub), and when I looked at the cocktails menu I saw "Manhattan, Old Fashioned, Negroni, LongIsland IcedTea", and that was it.
They sold daquiris by the bottle and the only straight whisky they had was "shots: Glenfiddich" for $6.50 each.

Also the Cocktails were $9, for maybe 2, 3 ounces at most, served in a tumbler crammed with ice.

Pearl Harbor is a drink on a lot of Asian restaurants in the US and no one really seems to get that worked up about it. I'm half Irish and I think Irish Car Bomb is an amusing name for a drink

I had to make a bloody mary in a pub once, and it cost me £7

If you don't want to sound racist, pronounce the first syllable more Spanish-like. Nay, not knee.

AY BUT IT WAS TE TROOBLES U AIN'T NEVEAIH INDITISTAN IF U WERNT THERE. GROWIN OOP WIT TEE MEN N GUNS WAHKIN PAS AS I WAS HEDED TE SCOOL

Does anyone believe this?

try ordering a 'cocksucking cowboy'.

>NEH-groan-EE
I think we’re on the same page. I’ve never heard it pronounced any other way. I think some are a little too PC in reading the name.

Very popular over on /hm/

>mispronounce things because you don't want to potentially offend people who would get triggered by a mean sounding syllable
I mean this is bait but come on

t. monolingual flyover

It seems over the top, bordering on farce, so Yes, I believe it.

>American whiskey

>black waitress
>Italian restaurant

Sure user, we believe you...

>Asking a pub chimp to make you a cocktail
Is like you're asking to be called a moron.

I see you are a man of culture as well

Fuck me

What a fucking absolute mess of posts user, get off of /tv/ its killing your brain cells.

>flyover mongoloid spotted

>Pure liquor cocktail
>Soyboy
A soyboy would order a high estrogen beer beer you fucking moron, or wait, is that by any chance, what you would prefer? A nice pint of pisswasser? I can hear your breasts growing lad.

>Adverb and adjective swapped
>Fucked up direct address
>its
Sure user

>Being this fucking mad someone called you out on being a mong