What's the consensus on the old testament

what's the consensus on the old testament

Second best religious text in history

three quarters of it is ad people have bad things happen to them because they made god mad, mixed with questionable historical lit

A quarter of it is wisdom lit and psalms

And a little bit is ecclesiastes and job, which blows the first part out of the water

It's pretty old, everyone argrees on that right?

Ruth is a really good short story

Don't forget Song of Solomon, which is some of the best writing in existence.

the creation myth's pretty dope desu
like not zeus vs kronos tier but still pretty awesome that this omnipotent being "declared" a universe into existence
tolkien did it better tho

i like the part with cain and abel

Pretty fuckin' rad

Except Chronicles, everything in it that's not a copy of 1 & 2 Kings is terrible.

Better than the new testament.

In my opinion, it was a mistake adding the old testament to the bible.
The old testamament is a collection of fairy tales and has numerous inconsistencies, while the Gospel is more like a spiritual manual without any glaring errors in the message itself.
I think the old testament drives many potential Christians away.

haven't read the whole thing but it's very interesting and surprisingly dark. even if someone just wants to read it for its literary value, there is a lot of interesting stories that happen (most people don't know about because pop culture water it down so much you'll be surprised how different the story of moses is to what tv shows).

overall it's something everyone should read IMO and you will view your own life different as you go along it.

be gone, satan

The Old Testament is the only worthwhile part of the Bible, New Testament is for pussies

This. Why not go for the best, OP? Read Dianetics NOW and change your life forever!

The people it drives away are pseuds who have no respect for the common spiritual archetypes, motifs, and mythology and evolution/reinterpretation thereof shared throughout the entire Western canon and even earlier from the dawn of pre-civilization pagan rites and beliefs. It took tens of thousands of years for all of the ideas to coalesce into the final form we recognize now and to discount the progenitorial forms is to disregard the fact that culture is not a linear form with a predetermined ideal outcome, which is in any event an appropriate representation of their thinking as it is seemingly not an uncommon fantasy among people now as it were.

This does not mean they can't be enlightened, however. Reading about ancient spirituality was potently eye-opening and made me appreciate religiosity as much as I disrespected it when I was younger and more naive. There is great profundity in understanding where you came from and why/how these archetypal images have survived in multiplicities of forms for the entire history of humankind, more relevant now than ever as we can see our severance from these ideas has sent people's sense of purpose and orientation spiraling into the dark waters of the chaotic unknown.

>adding the old testament to the bible.
I don't think you know what the bible is

t. Marcion of Sinope

Some good shit, mostly bullshit.

People here try too hard to force themselves to not look like those big bad atheists.

People here love Catholicism/Orthodoxy because it provides a solid aesthetic bedrock to build upon.

Spirituality is radical. You are trying too hard to force judgment that others are merely pretending.

Best testament

how much do you donate to Jordan B. Peterson every month on patreon?

Nah it's what bored women do.

Bored women go to church to socialize and keep up appearances with their whitebread neighbors, they don't crawl on their hands and knees out of submission and devotion to the power and beauty of God.

2 Samuel is the best part of it

kek its so obvious to spot pseuds rehashing JBPs stuff.

i like him tho so i guess its ok