Guilty Pleasure Thread

What are your guilty pleasure reads, Veeky Forums? When you should be exploring the nature of human existence or writing your own work, what are you actually indulging yourself with?

I've always been fond of trashy romance and fantasy books. Sometimes I play editor for them and dissect the piece page by page, but mainly I like having two or three drinks, putting on some music in the background, and reading as far as I can in one sitting. Some of them have some surprisingly good moments, while others are just plain awful. Wonderfully awful.

Playing video games to turn my brain off.

Recommend me a couple fantasy books OP?

I like to read a good fantasy, sci fi, or horror novel at the same time as the more serious books. At the moment I'm dividing my time between Lolita and The Name of the Wind. Both are great, but in obviously very different ways.

I picked up Scimitar Moon when I met the author at a convention and it was good enough to make me pick up the rest of his books. It's fantasy on the high seas.

I found R. A. Salvatore's Dark Elf Trilogy to be quite entertaining, and in a similar vein, Prince of Wolves by Dave Gross was also pretty good. Both of these are D&D/Pathfinder books though, so ymmv depending on how much you like that sort of thing.

If historical fantasy is more your thing, try Newton's Cannon. The fantasy elements exist to enable the plot rather than take center stage, and while the plot is a touch predictable at times it's a fun ride.

I've been meaning to read both of those. Which would you recommend I pick up first?

Depends because they are so different, haha. If you're looking for an easy read with an engaging story, The Name of the Wind. Lolita is much more difficult but is the choice if you want something intellectually stimulating.

I've got a business trip coming up so I suppose I'll read Lolita on the way there and The Name of the Wind on the way back.

Shibumi
Tom Sharpe novels
James Clavell novels

Lesbian romance
end my fucking life

"underground" hip-hop

Malazan

Same, on both points.

Fanfiction children's cartoons.
Yeah, I know, it's bad.

Reading conspiracy theories

browsing Veeky Forums

Dare I ask which cartoons/fanfics?

Sometimes if I have no drive to read anything "serious" I'll stop by Barnes and Noble and buy a random book in the middle of some YA/scifi/fantasy series just to get a sense of what is going on with them. Sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised, but most of them feel very similar.

Watching camwhores. Some are surprisingly more Veeky Forums and intelligent than you'd expect, but it's nonetheless an awful use of time and attention.

Fanfiction. I wish I could stop

Why? You've basically already neutered yourselves as males.

I feel you're making a bold presumption there.

Oh, I'm sorry, miss.

I get stoned and bring my PS4 over to a freind's house to play japanese videogames and Rainbow Six.

There are no girls on the internet, didn't you hear?

my brethren.

any particular artists?

>why would you want to die if you're castrated

bones, $uicideboy$, omen
I like the sound of ir but most of the time they only speak of things Im not relqted with at all, hell, I've never done drugs and I'm a virgin. And they are always play role which makes them come off as autistic 12 year olds who think they are cool. It makes me feel a little cringy listening to them but I still somehow enjoy it

Rereading YA fiction like The Seventh Tower by Garth Nix and Circle of Magic by Tamora Pierce

Getting as stoned as I can without falling into solipsism and sketching out, reading Pynchon, and then feeling as if I can *like, really understand him, dude, woah*

Nothing wrong with this imo

Murakami

Travis McGee books

I love getting baked, turning on synth music from the 80's, and blasting through Stephen King short story anthologies.

Edward Elmer Smith.

it's like eating creamed corn out of the can, with a funnel.

Guilty? Nigger that's the only fantasy series worth reading. I moved on from fantasy years ago, but I'll always return to this one. It ruined the genre for me.

I just love crime fiction, I actually tend to avoid getting crime novels because I know I'd be reading them instead of whatever else I've got.

Holy shit this sounds pretty dope. Hit me up with a playlist?

Anything James Ellroy