This is the author of Moby Dick. It's his birthday today

This is the author of Moby Dick. It's his birthday today.

Say something nice to him.

thanks for writing the greatest novel ever. Yes, better than Ulysses, In Search of Lost Time, War and Peace, and The Man Without Qualities

sick beard

Hi Paul, thank you for all your work with John, George and Ringo

herman is a gay first name

>herman
>her man
>gay

Thank you for writing the greatest novel of all time and the most "really makes you think" short story ever in Bartleby the Scrivener

It's a shame he died completely unrecognized.

Neckbeard faggot

How come no American writer ever since even comes close to him?

Stop pausing before coffin warehouses.

becuz 'MURICANz are le dumbs XD

did i mention im a europoor???

It's my cat's birthday.

You all are as bad as twitter. You know he wrote other books, right?

Happy birthday Herm :)

>herman
>herr mann
>Mister Man

I would prefer not to.

Stop watching spermwahles.

he kinda looks like my fat gay cousin

Yes, but none of them even approaches Moby-Dick

Lel

You obviously haven't read them.

I'm actually a big fan of The Confidence Man. It's totally different from Moby-Dick, and not nearly as grand and mighty, but in its own way it's amazing. It's also a really bleak and black-hearted look at America, one that's still relevant today.

I've read typee, redburn, white jacket and Billy budd as well as half a dozen of his short stories.
They are good, particularly Billy buddy, Benito cereno and bartleby, but they are nothing close to Moby-Dick.

The Confidence Man is the novel that's better than Ulysses. Comparing Moby Dick to Ulysses is pointless. They're engaged in different projects.

Pierre is a masterpiece as well. In Melville as an individual you can watch the birth of modern literature. Typee begins as a simple adventure tale and ends with some questions about colonialism; Moby Dick begins with those questions and ends in deeper questions about metaphysics; Pierre begins in grandiose questions about metaphysics and ends in comically cynical disillusion about grandiloquent prose; the Confidence Man concludes with cosmic humor and even returns to the possibility of ethics.

The novel from its birth to the present, played in prescient miniature in the career of Herman Melville.

And you all are wishing him happy birthday and making a idolizing a joke he once told about a fish. No better than twitter.

Notice where those works come in chronologically...

His first and last novels, as well as the two closest to Moby-Dick?

I started reading Bartleby the Scrivener today.

It accurately captures my feelings as an office drone.

Closest if you confuse time with its mathematical progression. But even mathematically, they predate Moby Dick.

Melville referred to Redburn and his next book White-Jacket as "two jobs which I have done for money—being forced to it as other men are to sawing wood"

Dear Mr. Melville,

I finished Moby Dick last week, and I just wanted to say thank you for creating such a glorious piece of art, that all the grandiloquent words you used in your book combined cannot even begin to describe the enormity of the book itself. The whole reading felt like my mind experiencing continual orgasms that got stronger with each one. That's true literature. That's fucking art. I love you.

Kind Regards,
A New Fanboy

Is there anything I need to read before reading Moby Dick?

Nice dick, Henry.

twitter

the bible

>shitposting this hard

I think you need to get a hobby, man.

Why does no poet compare to Shakespeare?

Moby is arguably the greatest novel ever written.

HERE WE ARE NOW GOIN TO THE SOUTH SIDE

So, should I chase the white whale, or not?

>The other world beyond this, which was longed for by the devout before Columbus' time, was found in the New; and the deep-sea land, that first struck these soundings, brought up the soil of Earth's Paradise. Not a Paradise then, or now; but to be made so at God's good pleasure, and in the fulness and mellowness of time. The seed is sown, and the harvest must come; and our children's children, on the world's jubilee morning, shall all go with their sickles to the reaping. Then shall the curse of Babel be revoked, a new Pentecost come, and the language they shall speak shall be the language of Britain. Frenchmen, and Danes, and Scots; and the dwellers on the shores of the Mediterranean, and in the regions round about; Italians, and Indians, and Moors; there shall appear unto them cloven tongues as of fire.

Europe eternally BTFO.

Love your books!

Stop sharing beds with Christians.

I'm not shitposting, I just expressed myself in an exaggerated way. I don't wish mock Melville or his readers and I honestly loved Moby Dick.

Underrated

>tfw finished Moby Dick for the first time yesterday and now it's my favorite book

happy birthday bro

Beat me to it

Hello, fellow nordic.

Praise Kek, my white brother