Apologies if this is off topic but I believe this kind of thread will do better on Veeky Forums than /tv/

Apologies if this is off topic but I believe this kind of thread will do better on Veeky Forums than /tv/

What do you consider the most Heideggerian Malick film to be and why?

Watch Badlands the other day. Total fucking shit

Tree of Life

Because it's actually Schellingian

He is a hack

I used to think this but after reading being & time I rewatched some of his more recent films and changed my mind.

Best artist currently alive

you know what? maybe you're total shit.

I agree you are a total shit but what did you think of badlands

Fuck you, Badlands is glorious

I don't get why you need to read a book to get a film. He is just failing.

I interpret his work more though a religious prism than a philosophical one. The Tree of Life is about the book of Job, not Heidegger.

Malick is a Rhodes Scholar, Harvard graduate, a philosophy professor, speaks multiple languages, and translated Heidegger into English (while working directly with the legendary philosopher). You can hate his movies as much as you want, but he's not a "hack"

malick is the one and only, the master of the universe

What's good about it? Besides Martin Sheen being incredibly handsome.

For me it's the cinematography and monologues. I also find the characters to be, at once, incredibly flat and alienating while totally tender and human.

While a couple scenes aren't so great, like when the police raid their treehouse camp, I still find the first hour or so absolutely mesmerizing. It's such a lonesome film.

>telling me characteristics of a person to validate that he is actually valuable.

Doesn't mean that just because he is this and that will make him a good filmmaker.
There's filmmakers that didn't do well in school but they are glorious at directing without trying to break the head to their audience.

lol pleb

He can't keep getting away with it! Fucking pretentious hack. Muh profound thoughts about the universe as I'm a kid riding a bike in the 50s. Fuck you.

he's also against white nationalism and bringing women back to the kitchen where they belong

Hey you saved my post

You can dislike his work, but a lot of the ire he elicits comes from people who think that he's a pseudointellectual and a pretender. The guy's work is worth engaging with if you care about film, religion, and philosophy. Art isn't purely intellectual, and if his evocations don't work for you that's fine, but post like this show the problem with his detractors. They don't even bother to try to understand his movies.

Please don't derail the thread

This isn't your safespace. Malick is a known liberal. Liberals are comitting genocide against the white race as we speak. See how the birth rates in the west have fallen through brainwashing. Try Kevin McDonald's Culture of Critique

Pls