Grated celery and carrot in pasta sauce

>grated celery and carrot in pasta sauce

Why do I do this? It's how I was taught how to make a good sugo; I know carrot adds a little sweetness, but why celery?

Other urls found in this thread:

accademiaitalianadellacucina.it/it/ricette/ricetta/ragù-classico-bolognese
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Could be that delicious peppery, savoury flavour.

Don't ask why - it's sofrito - the base of almost every authentic ragu

Grating sounds like a good idea, I've always diced finley

doesn't everyone put celery in pasta sauce? also i normally just chop them small

Look up mirepoix.

Historically, you fried celery, carrot, onion, and parsley in lard/oil if you couldn't afford meat, since these aromatics when combined loosely resemble the taste of beef. It's what poor Italians did in antiquity and it stuck to enrich sauces.

It's good for meat sauces or a slow-cooked tomato sauce, but for a simple quick marinara all you need is garlic, basil, and maybe some chilies or chili flake if that's your bag.

It's mirepoix, the default choice of vegetables to start a stock. It just adds a balanced vaguely meaty flavor, as opposed to just using water. It's better if you fry them before simmering, though.

A must for Bolognese

>"hey guys add this flavorless celery to your sauce, it makes it taste better!!!!"

what's Ireland got to do with pasta?

I've always used celery root together with onions and carrots. And that's hardly flavorless. I don't really use celery stalks in anything.

OP here; I'm making sauce now and just tried it on its own. Just garlic, celery, carrot, onion, sundried tomato, and parsley, fried for a bit. This shit tastes amazing: very savory and umami.

>savory and umami
literally the same thing

You are either a heavy cigarette smoker or you have some some sort of genetic condition that diminishes the sensitivity of your taste buds. Celery has a distict and assertive flavor.

Im going to say your only experience with celery is those awful little chunks in a can of condensed soup.

Be a dear and stop talking.

stop using celery

>it's sofrito
soffritto doesn't contain celery

mire poix is french, not italian

The smell of frying down celery is one of the worlds greatest smells.

Celery adds some mineral taste to your sauce. Cuts the richness of the tomate

but you know user, you don't have to use any of it if you don't want to

I replaced the carrots in my bolognese with onions, and the celery with more onions

> I fucking love onions

durrr i cann add extra letterrs too lookk how autentico i amm

Parents use celery, and overuse basil and add other crap (turmeric ugh) that doesn't complement.

Imagine that crappy Prego sauce you buy off the shelf, and what makes it so suprisingly tasty. Now put that in your red sauce. The fresher the ingredients, the better. Vegetables in your meaty red sauce is not the priority, and I can see carrots adding some sweetness via sugar, but celery? Nah.

Overall, the sauce is aiming for savory. If you want minerality, like mentioned? Use a nice young DRY white Italian. Can't go wrong with a good Italian Pinot Gris, but there are better whites out there that I can't think of atm. Reds like Sangiovese or Cab Sauv can also work.

The "holy trinity" of bell peppers, celery, and onion is more of a Cajun thing, and I strongly suspect is an American basterdization thing of Italian and French culture. Want to make good bolognese? Ask an ethnic italian. It's easy. I got my best spice and taco recipe from a Mexican, best bolognese from an Italian, and best Sushi recipes from a Burmese guy (hey, he made good sushi)

Again, I would emphasize things like the garlic and onions. Forget things like bell pepper or celery. Go for some more savory meats over ground beef, like italian sausages. You're correct in thinking that celery is a bad addition. I'm the poster I'm replying to. I only use celery in Cajun or American continental dishes mostly. Things like gumbo or chicken soup, or next to some hot wings. Again, the only reason ppl use the trio in your op pic is because they're cheap, nutritious, and available in the US. I wouldn't recommend them in a pasta sauce.

Onion, Carrot and Celery is the base of french cuisine, but italians use chopped parsley and onion (often garlic as well). personally I start with Onions, Garlic, shallots and parsley cooked in olive oil.

Finishing up a mirepoix - and oddly enough it isn't complete without the celery. It's like pork and leek, or bread and butter - the whole is more than the sum of its parts.

accademiaitalianadellacucina.it/it/ricette/ricetta/ragù-classico-bolognese
>50g celery

If there's anyone you can't trust to make an authentic Italian meal, it's the Italians.

I had to break up a fight (not an argument, two fat, old, bald men in housecoats throwing fists) between my neighbours because one of them saw me walk into the house with ingredients for some serious Bolognese, and the other one had something to say about it.

I made enough for everyone, and the one who had the problem with it (I don't remember why... maybe pork and veal? Maybe the celery?) liked it more than the guy who defended my choice to be a mangiacake.

Putting grated carrots in sauces can really fuck with its colour and make it look like an orange puke mixture, wouldnt advice it desu, just chop it finely

This is why you shouldn't go to Veeky Forums for cooking advice. You wrote a nice long post that makes it look like you know what you're talking about. Unfortunately, you are completely wrong.