DUDE PURPLE PROSE LMAO

>DUDE PURPLE PROSE LMAO

No wonder he's obscure and overshadowed by his contemporaries.

>PURPLE PROSE
Post example

Just read anything of his and you'll find it before long. It absolutely is some of the most flowery purple prose but I don't think that's such a bad thing considering his subject matter and what he was trying to evoke. Trying to combine that level of whimsy with grit and succintness would probably not work. CAS is definitely an acquired taste though.

Since you asked:

"Selim bent over and kissed Zoraida on the mouth. Her lips were not entirely cold, but there was a queer, bitter taste. Of course, it must be the poison. The thought was hardly formulated when a searing agony seemed to run through all his veins. He could no longer see Zoraida, in the blinding flames that appeared before him and filled the room like ever-widening suns; and he did not know that he had fallen forward on the couch across her body. Then the flames began to shrink with great swiftness and went out in a swirl of soft gloom. Selim felt that he was sinking into a great gulf, and that someone (whose name he could not remember) was sinking beside him. Then, all at once, he was alone, and was losing even the sense of solitude. . till there was nothing but darkness and oblivion."

That's not really purple prose. It's pretty straightforward and clear as to what's happening. You could have picked a better example.

he was really really handsome

He looks like a 3/4 cut potato dudr

>this is purple prose
Go back to reading Raymond Carver, 'buddy'.

Only the fourth sentence is a little shabby.

I don't get why you'd single out CAS when HP "Spooky" Lovecraft and REH (especially the former) were loaded with purple prose.

I have low standards

>tfw people don't understand symbolists anymore

lmao this

OP you dont know what flowery looks like.

>REH
>purple prose
lol no. By today's standard his prose may come across as purple, but it was really just energetic with vivid descriptions.

Not purple prose but it is horribly written

That's not purple prose. You want purple prose, look at annie proulx.

Appalling writing. Would not read more.

Purple prose is Lovecrafts schtick. You can't complain about that, its what he does

then why is it a problem with cas? he writers after pierre louys, baudelaire, william beckford, swinburne, george sterling etc. I mean, these are not writers known for restraint. excess was apart of his aesthetic from day 1.

>in the blinding flames that appeared before him and filled the room like ever-widening suns
Fan-fic tier.

Robert E. Howard is great, much better than Lovecraft IMO.

Agreed. Klarkashton is better than both though.

Check out his Zothique stories.

He's a terrific writer, and a literary one. The baroque, elaborate and obscure prose is an intended way of evoking the weird, an incantation. It's not like he is making words up either. At is best, his stories have an immersive, re-readable and morbidly poetic quality, a great complement to Lovecraft. His scenic descriptions are his strong suit, when he begins describing creepy and unusual plants, flowers, and foliage. The Double Shadow and Maze Of The Enchanter are my favourite stories.

Robert Howard is juvenile by comparison. Lovecraft is overall a better writer and plotter, but Clark is the better stylist.