Paradise Lost Reading Group

I'm no good at thread aesthetic or whatever but I want to know if anyone would be interested in doing a group read of Paradise Lost?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kWfMoc2ctfU
youtu.be/U71BYEVn0nE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why do you need a reading group for something you can easily read in a week or so?

I don't know it feels less intimidating, I have seen some threads here that go through difficult books 50 pages at a time and convene each day and discuss and that is suited to my numbskullery.

paradise lost is not a particularly difficult book. if you've read Homer's verse epics you should be fine.

reading paradise lost is for virgin babby losers. try some real shit like paradife loft

and if I have not?

I'd be really interested actually as long as you give me enough time to get a copy. It's one of the set texts on my course next year so getting some discourse about it going could do me good w/ that

as long as it's not the first book you've ever read I am confident you will be able to read and understand it.

there's a bit of greek mythology namedropping especially in the first part but that's something using Google or reading footnotes will explain not a Veeky Forums reading group.

Not him, but the reading groups encourage people to read the books critically so they have stuff to say in the reading groups thread later on. When we've tried to do reading groups on hyper-difficult texts they've failed, but for middling-difficulty texts (like Paradise Lost), they've been very successful at getting people to engage actively with the texts.

>mfw nostalgia for the christmas readinggroup-renaissance hits like a train
>mfw Pierre is /ourguy/

Fair enough, I manage my own time at work so I have been listening to the Yale lecture series on YouTube about it. I figured it must be difficult because the lecturer said you will spend hours wondering what is going on, I thought he must be serious.

>mfw wrote mfw instead of tfw

I think he's misrepresenting how difficult Milton's poetry is. He's not that difficult once you get used to him, but he is definitely several shades of complexity above someone like Homer. It reads more like Virgil to my mind from the sections I've read, because it has a lot more rhetorical flourishes than Homer

>the lecturer said you will spend hours wondering what is going on
I'm guessing he is referring to the peculiar way it starts, following Satan as an Odyssian hero as he unites his band of fallen angels against the tyrannical God who has thrown them out of heaven.

A strange way to start a Biblical poem about the fall of man.

Hell I'd be down for this I'll keep an eye out for any threads or if anyone plans it out

Do you have the War and Peace autism spectrum image?

youtube.com/watch?v=kWfMoc2ctfU

W-what pic? Post it please

vyuni

>the snake doesn't have legs
This triggers the fuck out of me every time I see it.

yes i do friend

I have it on the shelf to read. I would be down and will keep an eye out

Is the 12 book revision the definitive edition?

moby dick reading group bit more than a month ago was succesfully up until the middle of the book. the discussions were decent and a reasonable amount of people participated. however, I created 2 threads that died without any replies, so I gave up of the group and read it by myself, finished ~10 days earlier.

and yes, while it lasted, it did encourage me to read it, I had it in my shelf but had no plan to read it.

fucking respond you fucking faggots

I was always against it with other reading groups but instead of hosting this on Veeky Forums we could try it as a discord group? Just a suggestion; I'll take part either way t b h

Reading groups are always active when it comes to first impressions and generally pick up near the end too, but the middle is always a slog. The W&P group was buoyed by the fact that it was the first reading group we'd had in a year and we all wanted to make it work, but even then we had to switch from daily threads at the start to simply making a new thread when the last reached its limit in the middle of the book, because the reply-dropoff was so brutal in the middle sections.

I wanted to take part in the Moby Dick group but missed the first few threads and wasn't confident I could catch up in time (plus was reading other books at the time). Would have been a really good book to read in a group.

I was around in the time of the w&p reading group but didn't have a copy back then. and yes, it is a great book for a reading group, and I thoroughly enjoyed it

I am very interested and depending on the thread outcome will buy the book today

yeah, sure.

No I wont do a reading group. But I will talk about it. Its written in verse, by John Milton of course. Its good, an excellent epic that captivates from the very beginning, although reading in verse does take some getting used to.
I highly recommend it. Its about the fall of man of course, but that story isn't really told until the latter part of the book, the former being mostly about Satan and his formation of Hell as his demense, and his journey to Paradise to tempt Eve and regain a seat that he was not condemned to for him and his band of fallen angels.

Get that off the wiki?

No, unlike some other people here I actually read the books I talk about.

Your post was literally pulled from the blurb lad

youtu.be/U71BYEVn0nE

Yeah someone say something.

lmmaaooo