Writing is for the reader, not the author

>writing is for the reader, not the author

I get suspicious whenever I hear this but there is a grain a truth within the overall sentiment.

In the end writing is about communication, so its important to know who you're addressing so you can meet them where they're at.

It's why Jesus told parables to the masses, why Plato only wanted men learned in geometry to enter his schools, etc.

Yeah but its still rooted in the desires of the author regardless, to put precidence to the reader is absurd.

Why do books get published then? If they are "for the authors" why don't the authors just keep the texts on their desks or computers?

Because they fall for the external validation meme.

>Because others might be interested in the same thing as the author
>Because writing could be for both
>Because plenty of work gets written that's not intended for others anyway
>Because writing is for the author's wallet

>good writing should never call attention to itself

>to put precidence to the reader is absurd

Gee...I wonder why you're not published.

This that post structural bullshit. But it's kinda true, kinda in the sense that the reader is going to still have his subjective opinions based on his upbringing to interpret the writing but it's still made by the author. It's halfsies

Because food and shelter are also good for the author.

Why not both?

I've written stories purely for myself and multiple times have burned hundreds of handwitten draft pages. Not like that's any real loss though.

Getting published is a mark of shame

>having the same taste as the reader

Yes, but in the same seduction is FOR the seduced, not the seducer. It has to be. To work.

Ultimately it's for the benefit of the seducer also though

This is one of my first times lurking this board, but I can't help being surprised by this.
Do you have this opinion because publishing one's own work equates to not being forward?

It means that you fell for the external validation meme like said.

A true differentiated patrician ubermensch does not concern himself with the shit taste of the rabble.

Yes. His desire is to be desired. His positive gain is economic, his negative 'gain' is fame (reputation, loss of liberty=anonymity).

This, the lit man gets known posthumously.

>not that your reader has the same taste as you