So what is your number?

timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2017/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/-1/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

lol my schools not even here even though it outranks a bunch of other schools from my country listed here..

holy javascript that input field

Where my fellow Oxonians at? We're number 1 bitches.

14, though I graduated over a decade ago.

Mine probably doesn't make the list. I dont know why I let it bug me so much.

Because other people value your personal worth based on your degree / alma mater?

>there are people attending the most prestigious universities in the world who still waste their precious youth shitposting on Veeky Forums

We all need recreation and entertainment. Lurking on lit isn't worse than watching movies or playing sports.

Sub-250

201-250 but I'm not going to post in this thread about it because then people would find out I don't deserve to live.

>Lurking on lit isn't worse than playing sports.

The sharpest minds of the youth and our collective hope for tomorrow actually believes this.

We're fucked.

Why come MIT and harvard aren't best today

It's more that a value my own self worth based on it and that a certain quality of education will be forever denied to me based on the decisions o made as a teenager. That's not to say I was ever capable of attending a top school, but I could have done better.

because
>muh mixtape
thesis for English grads

>mfw I fucked up my only chance in life to attend a top-5 university
>mfw I will never experience the Oxbridge life

Great universities do not make great men, rather it is great men who make those great universities.

>tfw philosophy has been my passion since my early teens
>tfw I will never get to pay 100k to spend years of my life doing faggy truth tables at an autistic oxbridge analytical department

My university is the premier institution in the world when it comes to German idealism. Do you have any idea how much tail you get from being well-versed in German idealism?

only a sub-top 10 university student would say such a thing

Sub and top are antonyms, subs are bottoms.

Who's intelligent now?

Whatever makes you sleep at night. Nobody gives a fuck about your precious Hegel.

And
>paying 100k

Oxford only left me with 10k in student debt after I got my graduate degree. If you're truly a good student, you can have a free ride (scholarships, etc)

I really wish there was something that could be done about. Why do we tolerate this?

Genuinely shocked that UCB is top 10

Why? Do you believe /pol/ bullshit about it or something?

Because people who did not make correct decisions as teenagers will not make correct decisions as adults either. I don't want a 30 year old failure stumbling his way into my university to ruin its name.

One of the biggest hurdles is funding and the cost of higher education. Not being able to attend such a university isn't always due to personal failures.

Poor funding comes from poor parents who possess poor genes. A poor upbringing also leads to poor nutrition and child rearing, which leads to poor adults.

God, why can't poor people just die, they suck.

Although I'm studying art, and in that respect I consider it 1, maybe 2.

If such a thing would ruin a university's name, then that school wasn't worth much to begin with. What upsets you is that it hurt their ability to function as grooming centers for the upper class.

>American made list ranks american colleges rank as over the top
it's another "murrika" tier thread/list

I couldn't get that shit to work

UCB is for retards if you're not in STEM, just like most radically left-wing campuses who perpetuate high school mentality

I can't believe that #1 in Canada still only means #22 worldwide and yet rich chinese people flock here like it's the fucking louvre

I don't know why I let its ranking bother me so much, I've been so much happier since coming here. It just sucks knowing that I'm not even in the top 10

Are you all serious? I'm sitting here at 501.

Me too but for graduate engineering. But it's a young country with a low populace and the universities are subsidized by the government. Oxford is like 1100 years old, being Top 25 isn't that bad.

2nd year St John's here.

The one I was going to attend back at home is >800th
The one I attended in another country is 80ish

2BH I'm not sure it made me happy.
pros
>make more buck
>experience new things
>access to more things
>meet new people
>developed countries have more vacations
>developed countries have cool museums

cons
>but everything's more expensive (including taxes) so it's sort of the same life you can afford everywhere if you stay at middle-high class income
>after a while it's just the same old "home - work" routine everywhere
>the globalized world with internet has made this trivial in recent years
>gotta meet new people and make friends
>which you will use to go back home anyway, might as well do it the other way round and live in comfy same old but travel to cool new
>you could visit these anyway during one of those travels
>public healthcare is better but if you're above poor you're paying stupid for private and private is the same quality (and I still can't find a good psych)
>living with a visa is annoying
>going up the socioeconomic lader is harder, middle class is greater but the gap to high and beyond seems just impossible, hard gaps instead of soft gaps
>it feels weird being a minority and being treated like one
>your family gets older while you're away and when shit happens you're not there
>people die while you're away

Is it better to study an arts or social science degree in the top 10 universities or an engineering/compsci degree in a top 500 university?

>tfw >800

This is a cliche answer, but do the one that inspires you or makes you dream of stuff, takes up your free time, etc.
If you only care about money, STEM pays better on avg independently of ranking.

It's hardly surprising, Canada has a small population and I suspect that a lot of Canada's most promising high school students go to America to take advantage of their schools. If you're gonna live in Canada most of your life and you go to UoT, you're all set

You're very right, although a lot of the American schools ranked above us aren't even as old as U of T and probably have fewer students. I am a little shocked, though, that the US and UK are somehow SO good that they almost completely dominate the top 20

I don't think that's true across the board, I only know two people who went to the U.S. and neither of them were very successful in high school. At least one of them applied to U of T and OCAD and didn't get in.
Personally, I wanted to go to Yale and was told I could get in, but never applied because I knew I didn't have the money and wasn't so successful that I could have recieved a serious scholarship.

I mean, I think any Canadian kid who is both exceptional and exceptionally ambitious would go to Harvard or MIT over UoT, no? I'm sure a lot of the country's top talent goes to UoT, UBC, McGill, but if someone is clearly super talented they probably want to go to the best school possible, no? I'm from Europe and over here any kid who is EXCEPTIONAL wants to go to Oxbridge rather than their own country's top unis

To be fair, the money thing could be a barrier for Canadians who want to go to the US, as a spoiled international kid I forget how unaffordable uni is

>Are you all serious? I'm sitting here at 501.

Believe it or not, Veeky Forums appears to be made up of, on average, upper class white men with a penchant for reading books. I'm around 350 myself, but my parents make together almost a million a year. This is an odd place.

I'm Canadian and attending grad school in the US. Went to UofT for undergrad. With tuition costs and the difficulty of uprooting and establishing oneself in a different country (especially for low income people, or people who need to support family while in school), it's much easier to stay in Canada.

We don't know enough about the US system. I don't even know what the SATs really are. For all my American friends who went to great universities in the US, their parents knew the ins and outs of the application process and managed it for them. My parents wouldn't have known the first thing.

If by top talent you mean people who are lucky enough to come from a family that micromanages their kid's college prospects to that degree, maybe. But then, a lot of the upper class and upper middle class rich smart kids at UofT had parents who didn't bother with the US either.

It's just not really on the radar.

It doesn't hurt when you have 20+ billion dollars in annual endowment (Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Princeton etc.)

If you actually look at the rankings and compare them and then check the methodology, you can see that "International outlook" and "research influence" are the biggest reason why certain schools can be ranked high on the world list but much lower on, say, the US College ranking.

In a word, the World ranking is only really of interest to Masters/Doctorate people and staff, not for undergrads.

What sort of high school did you go to though? Surely kids who go to expensive private schools aim to get into Ivy League schools or even Oxbridge?

I'm at UBC myself and know a few locals for whom UBC was a safety school while American schools were the dream. Then again, what use is anecdotal evidence?

Is this true? I've always felt that I'm in the minority here by not being working class

Wes?

STEMfag oxbridge reject

sorry dude. not wes.

Pretty good for a public school in a state that actively wants to destroy lower and higher education

Overall ranking is meaningless. You should only be interested by the ranking of your field. Some middling universities in an overall ranking have some top tier departments where they are near the top for example.

>tfw sub-100

>UPenn higher than us
Bullshit list btw

The rankings are clearly based on research output. Undergrad shitters are irrelevant.

I have degrees from two top 20 universities.

And yet I've accomplished nothing and vent my misery and self loathing on image boards.

Yes, you're right, though that's really only true of people who are in good enough shape to get scholarships that cover a majority of their tuition.

That's true, even the lower tier of high prestige schools in the US tend to have double U of T's endowment ($2 Billion for U of T vs. say, Dartmouth's $4 Billion)

All good points. Canadians might be less concerned with the prestige of the school they choose to go to than Americans. I know tons of people who could have gone to a university with name recognition like U of T or Queens and went to more obscure schools for some reason or another.

Are you paying for tuition fully on your own, or did you recieve grants? I've been looking at Brown for English but that worries me.

201-250, but I wanted to stay close to home for undergrad so not even bothered.

if youre not studying under di giovanni, youre full of shit. and you should know that.

Anyone claiming to be in a top 20 university is lying because only whote people go on Veeky Forums and white people aren't let into Ivys or their equivalents.

Wow, are you rich yourself? That would be very cool to have lots of money.

t. brainlet
If you couldn't get into a top 20 Uni you're basically no better than your average nigger.

t. Jew
When I get home I'll post my ebin /pol/ infograph and BTFO you

>Being unsuccessful enough that a top 20 uni is unfathomable

150-175, at leasts it's got 66% females

tfw still a virgin

alright i guess

Why are anglos so obsessed with university rankings? Is it autism?

it's because competition is a big part of the way our society works, as opposed to your country where Sahib can step off the Islamic "religion of peace" TM refugee boat and right into the local school, where he'll be awarded a degree in Iberian poetry despite technically only speaking Arabic, or alternately, where University means doing math on an abacus for 2 years and then being recruited into the accounting team of a local warlord, depending on where in the non-Anglo world you live.

301—350

158 :(

22. WHEN WILL WE BREAK THE TOP TWENTY FUCK
did the meme man fuck up our international standing. probably not I'm just being paranoid.

lmao sorry for making fun of your autistic number game

101 FUCK YEAH

GO GREEN GO WHITE MUTHAFUCKAAAAAS

25. I didn't know we were rated that well.

Only upper-middle class Chinese people go to Canada mate

Competition? Anglos are dumb as fuck and most are depressed drunkards who LARP as college students™. Even when talking about academic rigor Anglos are shunned as dumb apes; and thus they need to reaffirm that they're not by creating this massive need to "WE IZ DA BEST" with these lists.

Arts and social science degree in top 10 universities because you can always switch majors when you get in

Number 60 in world, number 3 in Australia.

Probably coz of Wharton

That's a lot of butthurt.

The CC and UC system in California is awesome, I barely graduated high school and was one of the lowest ranked in my class. I went to a cc afterwords and passively worked until I transferred in a top 10 school

I transferred to UC Berkeley smoking weed everyday for two years at a cc, it isn't that difficult

>tfw go to a College
that's cool

That's a lot of projection. How do I know? Because only a mentally subpar human being would accuse others of butthurt while showcasing a meme as to support their initial claim

Who /buckeye/ here?

>anglos are dumb apes
>he posted in English

Rankings like this are pretty useless, they don't really tell you anything, especially for non-liberal arts degrees

because poverty and low scientific achievement is not something to be proud of

1, motherfuckers