What did famous author Bret Easton Ellis mean by this?

What did famous author Bret Easton Ellis mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zlGYkDmT0kM?t=13s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Miller_(political_advisor)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Who, who and who?

Jim Acosta getting btfo'd by Stephen Miller and Bret Easton Ellis both? What a day.

Fuk u m8

his novels are attacks on the kind of people he writes about. miller got btfo here

Judging from that video, I don't think it's physically possible for Stephen Miller to be blown the fuck out of any place.

cool you came to a different conclusion than bret did, do you want a medal?

Why is that spooky skeleton man on the left turning up in the news. Did he do something cool?

cool you gave me a passive aggressive reply to bump your shitty /pol/bait, do you want a medal?

I'm not op dipshit

He's trump's senior policy advisor. If only the entire trump administration was like him...

What about him makes him so mesmerizing to Dubs Man's father?

He's making America great again, Jim.

Just in here to pay my respects to Jimbo and give Miller a good pat on the back.

To answer his question, because Miller is a passionate and articulate self-made man, and Acosta is a lowest common denominator affirmative action hire with a double-digit IQ

this

Goebbels reincarnated into him

>like omg guyz Drumpf is a nazi!

youtu.be/zlGYkDmT0kM?t=13s

Drumpf's propaganda minister
the guy who wrote American Psycho
some other dipshit

He better be writing a novel if he's not going to do his podcast anymore

JIM
JIM
JIM

>Goebbels reincarnated into a Jew
P O T T E R Y

Are you drunk? Miller's WASP as hell

Jesus Christ the nugget of hope I've been clinging to for the past month has been flung to oblivion after watching that. Shut the fuck up and let him answer your stupid question you smug fucking prick

>Miller grew up in a liberal-leaning Jewish family in Santa Monica, California.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Miller_(political_advisor)

For. Fuck. Sake.

Miller is le American psycho!!

Bret, stop posting threads about yourself in the third person, and go back to your podcast.

Isn't it great how if you put a poem on a statue, it magically becomes your nation's immigration policy forever?

>While at Duke, Miller and the Duke Conservative Union helped co-member Richard B. Spencer, a Duke graduate student at the time, with fundraising and promotion for an immigration policy debate in March 2007 between the open-borders activist and University of Oregon professor Peter Laufer and journalist Peter Brimelow, the founder of the anti-immigration website VDARE. Spencer would later become an important figure in the white supremacist movement and president of the National Policy Institute.

Hmmm...

And thought I am blatant faggot and all of my books are the same, I'll be forever touted because of a movie rendition of AP.

He shat on some dumb journalist's argument for immigration for 7 minutes.

This

It's legitimately sad to see the knives turned against old pillars of American culture because its politically expedient for the moment. The mere existence of your post indicates that a large portion of the country has done away with yet another founding myth of America in order to curry favor.

There was always anti-immigrant sentiment as well, but there is indeed a corpus of American values which have been challenged by the past few years. A nation initially founded upon the equality of all men before God has seen, on occasion, a truncation of that divine principle, flanked by the greatest hopes of humanism, into "Equal when expedient, equal when of the same tongue, equal when of the same race".

The flippancy with which we can simply discard those old pillars of American thought remind me of one of Lincoln's earliest speeches. (Lyceum A dress)

> But this state of feeling must fade, is fading, has faded, with the circumstances that produced it.

>I do not mean to say, that the scenes of the revolution are now or ever will be entirely forgotten; but that like every thing else, they must fade upon the memory of the world, and grow more and more dim by the lapse of time. In history, we hope, they will be read of, and recounted, so long as the bible shall be read;-- but even granting that they will, their influence cannot be what it heretofore has been. Even then, they cannot be so universally known, nor so vividly felt, as they were by the generation just gone to rest. At the close of that struggle, nearly every adult male had been a participator in some of its scenes. The consequence was, that of those scenes, in the form of a husband, a father, a son or brother, a living history was to be found in every family-- a history bearing the indubitable testimonies of its own authenticity, in the limbs mangled, in the scars of wounds received, in the midst of the very scenes related--a history, too, that could be read and understood alike by all, the wise and the ignorant, the learned and the unlearned.--But those histories are gone. They can be read no more forever. They were a fortress of strength; but, what invading foeman could never do, the silent artillery of time has done; the leveling of its walls. They are gone.--They were a forest of giant oaks; but the all-resistless hurricane has swept over them, and left only, here and there, a lonely trunk, despoiled of its verdure, shorn of its foliage; unshading and unshaded, to murmur in a few gentle breezes, and to combat with its mutilated limbs, a few more ruder storms, then to sink, and be no more.

(1/2)

(2/2)

>They were the pillars of the temple of liberty; and now, that they have crumbled away, that temple must fall, unless we, their descendants, supply their places with other pillars, hewn from the solid quarry of sober reason. Passion has helped us; but can do so no more. It will in future be our enemy. Reason, cold, calculating, unimpassioned reason, must furnish all the materials for our future support and defence.--Let those materials be moulded into general intelligence, sound morality, and in particular, a reverence for the constitution and laws: and, that we improved to the last; that we remained free to the last; that we revered his name to the last; that, during his long sleep, we permitted no hostile foot to pass over or desecrate his resting place; shall be that which to learn the last trump shall awaken our WASHINGTON.

Nice pasta you've got there cuck.

This is all a rather roundabout way of me trying to communicate just how profound a disagreement I have with you, without immediately phrasing that disagreement in slurs or in more negative language.

I cannot help but feel that it is a deep, and an incorrigible cheapening of American history to simply 'will away' the old sentiments which helped to contextualize what we consider the American Identity

Somehow I'm not suprized. Having to think for more than three seconds about what you write must be hard.

The skimming user should consider the frogposter's reply in juxtaposition with, for example, the Gettysburg address

> Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

>Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

>But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Note how in Lincoln's previous Lyceum speech, he laments that bastions of our culture, regardless of how explicit they may be with meaning, how morally charged their occurrence, they will eventually lose their power to sway or capture the imagination of the people.

The 'perfect and immaculate' america we so often speak about - the one which spans from Washington to Lincoln to Roosevelt to Reagan, it has on several occasions warped and frayed. It was always with a re-dedication to the core values that the nation has survived. Always with a redoubling of our identity in times of national crisis. Here, today, it seems a shame that we would allow something as precious as 'Equality of all under God' to slip away due to fucking memes.

The "pillars of the temple of liberty" and "unimpassioned reason" could also be a traditional view of America colored by the philosophies of its original inhabitants against neoliberal policy and economics. It goes both ways. If age is the only determining factor then traditionalists win.

>founding myth
>business expedient which diluted culture and the founding fathers opposed
Topkek

I used to defend BEE but he's aged into a caricature of himself

>The tradition of the US
fits my memethinking
Kek
That is not what the founders meant by equality and you know it. You know in certain places only property owners could vote?

>I cannot help but feel that it is a deep, and an incorrigible cheapening of American history to simply 'will away' the old sentiments
What exactly do you mean? You quote Lincoln's speech about our diminishing remembrance of the people who fought in the revolution to show that having an immigration policy is wrong? Miller's strictest, wetdream immigration laws would be considered seditious by the men who fought in that war and by Lincoln himself.

Of course, Lincoln himself was a sort of puritan-manic-depressive for whom the Republic had a sacred importance. Therefore, he killed 600,000 young men to establish a new set of traditions, none of which Madison or Jefferson would have cared much for, taking into account their support of Kentucky secession

Would make for some great dialogue
Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim

>Equal when expedient, equal when of the same tongue, equal when of the same race

Is drumpf actually used unironically by some people?

Depends on what you mean by people.

Miller is 31 wtf

Sadly it is.

>impying this is an insult

Equality for all does not mean indiscriminate immigration policies, nor should it, and to claim so is both incredibly intellectually dishonest and purposefully ignorant of the history of the United States. You seem to believe there were no discriminatory immigration policies in Lincoln's time? Willful ignorance.

>Kike from Cali whos father works in real estate investment
>Self made

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

Lincoln didn't even like black people. He wanted to send them all to Liberia or Haiti.

>the last Trump shall awaken our WASHINGTON

Nah lincoln wasn't racist he was alright

his xenophobia.

>We should only let in people who will be beneficial to our country and will not be an economic drain
>You're afraid of foreigners!!!!

Uh huh.

That's literally not true Lincoln fought for their lives and he would have instituted civil rights as well if he wasn't killed by a racist whitey. Lincoln would have made civil rights happen 100 years earlier and he was even going to denounce his own race and become an honorary black person because he loved them so much. If Lincoln would have achieved his goal whites would already be extinct as they should be and black people would have turned society into a futuristic utopia. So fuck white people

"I am a hack."

nice b8 user, here have a (you).