Is borscht meme food or is it any good? Why the fuck would you serve it cold?

Is borscht meme food or is it any good? Why the fuck would you serve it cold?

dude, that looks so damn good. i would kill for a bowl of that stuff.

It is good

We never ate it cold, that's probably a meme some Western chef made up

Depends on if you are a little girl who is afraid of root vegetables because they are "yucky" or a real man.

It's honestly great. A buddy of mine Ukrainian and makes it (supposedly) just like his ma used to, Always offers it when Im over there and I used to decline but god damnit once I tried it I was hooked

what does he put in it?

My Russian teacher said that she always drowns her's in sour cream.

who doesn't like root vegetables? carrots are good.

interesting. but as someone who has no idea what the trad. recipe includes, i was curious. obviously beets, but then what?

Different user here

The traditional Polish version just has mushroom dumplings (smaller than perogies)

mushroom dumplings and beets? what for seasonings?

Other than the obvious beets and broth, a bit of potato and onion & served with sour cream and dill, he cooks it with bay leaves, throws in one or two other seasonings as well but to be honest Ive never really thought to ask what they were. If youre curious I can just shoot a text and find out for you

yeah, rather than just using google i would prefer to have a real, human response about this recipe. if you dont mind.

Room temp with toasted bread and a mint julep is legit.

Make a bone broth with lots of root vegetables (Onions, beets, leeks, celery root, carrot, parsnip), garlic and salt & pepper

That's the base of it

a bone broth! killer. that makes total sense.

sent, sir. Ill keep this tab open and post the response whenever he gets back at me

cool, i will be here!

sounds really good

There is no traditional borscht recipe. Every family had their own recipe and they could vary drastically but none was any more authentic than the others. All you really need is beet soup and the rest is preference.

How my family does it is shredded beet root and greens, peas, vegetable stock, a metric fuckton of dill, some vinegar, and a bit of sweet cream.

dill, huh. thats an interesting variable. one i have little experience with.

This. Have had it a thousand different ways, some were good, some not so much, and some were absolutely stellar.

Shchi is superior to borsch.