TFW want to study philosophy...

>TFW want to study philosophy, literature or psychology and get into academia but all of my friends and family will try to talk me out of it by telling me they're shit careers for pretentious assholes; not as prestigious or high paying as law, medicine or high finance; take way too long to obtain; or bully me for my choice just because.
>TFW just want to work a cushy job where I get to study profound ideas and concepts, and contribute to a field of study - not work a soul-crushing wage cuck job.

You can have allot of succes in philosophy if you know what to do. Allot of comedy is based on philosophical idea's. Allot of people don't know what to think so they reach for great philosophers.
I think if you're motivated you should absolutely do it and not care about money. Cause indeed philosophy is something which can entertain you for the rest of your life. And if you don't make enough money, you can ponder that ;).

Ofcourse your family will bitch about those things, if they say such things, they probably didn't get much out of their own potential and dreams, misery loves its company.

FIGHT FOR YO RIGHT TO THINK!

Also just wanted to add, in the country I live, philosophers are frequently asked to come on television to engage in debates or explain certain idea's and concepts. Where there's publicity there's also money. Don't let your family demotivate you from something you love.

>YWN withdraw from society to live as a mysterious, reclusive philosopher and literary fiction author.

I know the feel man. But never study something you're not interested in, and just because your family expects you to study this subject. You will never be able to stay motivated for all those years.

However, I know the feel. I studied history and international relations in order to become a professor/stay employed in academia. But because employment opportunities are limited for people with liberal arts degrees, the competition for these limited spots is tremendous.

I'm in the same position lads. I started out thinking I'd go in the field of high finance but all I want to do is study politics, philosophy, sociology and psychology. It would take me 7 years to get a doctorate and I'm really worried about my financial condition but I don't know if I could go to other career at this point. I'll just take a leap of faith and hope it works out.

Why are you talking in this way?

>All my friends will talk me out of it
Then you don't belong in it.

You could focus on the practical and employable aspects of philosophy like linguistics or math.

Why did you talk like that?

>All I want to study is ambiguous and interchangeable terminologies that are only good for framing social reality to confirm my biases.

philosophy is a good pre-law degree, if you want to keep your options open

a lot of the people in my program are absolutely insufferable though

Better than trying to intentionally be wagecuck with no real insight about anything fundamental and of relevancy.

>TFW already did my undergrad.

I loved econ and would like the idea of doing PhD level economics and eventually becoming an academic, but i'm not as enthused about studying more econometrics and high level algebra. I loved economic theory and analysis, moreso than econometrics. Not a numbers guy.

I have applied to sit the LSAT test in September; i'm most likely going to do law. Getting a good score shouldn't be hard. I'll see how I like law once I get in. There are some aspects of law and potential careers that really interest me.

>i'm most likely going to do law. Getting a good score shouldn't be hard. I'll see how I like law once I get in. There are some aspects of law and potential careers that really interest me.

i'm finishing my undergrad this fall then i'm probably going to do the same thing. might try to get a job for a bit in the meantime

Where are you guys from and what are the opportunities there for someone with post major/PHD? You could look into that if you really want to commit yourselves instead of doing law.

Outside US.

I don't know the opportunities PhDs and postgrads have except for academia, think-tanks and policy. I haven't done enough research on the other career paths (I assume there are many interesting ones).

the US. but I don't know if i'm really into being committed to academic philosophy or something post-grad.

i just want to check out my options after school basically

>tfw I have a 4.0 in mechanical engineering and still have plenty of time to read philosophy and literature

It's amazing how successful you can be when you're not a video-game addicted retard like the rest of the people in STEM

Public relations is a good career option. You could be doing research in a capital/industrial field. Academia is not the only place to do researches, it could definitely expand to public and private sectors. But if you do commit to it you could be a professor in the end and get a job in educational field.
Where I live people really don't know much about the opportunities the studies in humanities can provide and I don't think it's a crowded field here at all. I'd say do the research and then commit to anything.

Yeah look for opportunities in public/private sectors. But the opportunities do become easier the more degrees/accolades you have, that's just a universal thing. Assuming you have time, patience and the finances for it.

>But the opportunities do become easier the more degrees/accolades you have, that's just a universal thing. Assuming you have time, patience and the finances for it.

yeah no doubt. i'm wondering if most graduate degrees are funded or not though.

plus, i've heard of a kind of weird phenomena where people who are overqualified have trouble finding work that's "below" them

Does where you're applying to have a cognitive science department? Thats what I did, and I got to study psychology, neuro, linguistic, comp sci and philosophy. If you're interested in those fields, I'd recommend seeing it through, fuck what other people say.

The departments with pretentious assholes are in journalism, business, gender studies and some medicine

Take it you're a high school student without too much actual knowledge about academia.

It depends, user. Don't join philosophy or literature if you expect a 'cushy job' - in fact, you may need to evaluate your general expectations towards life. Youvare not handed easy odds; it's a struggle, and if you don't work at it, your ship will sink.

Academia is an insecure job market with a lot of stress and competition. You have to really live and breath what you research in order to make it and still stay afloat and keep it together emotionally IMO.

It's not impossible to find jobs in the private sector, but again there's a ton of insecurity as to what you'll end up doing. And a good percentage of lit and phil students DO end up as wagecucks.

t. actual philosophy grad student evaluating his choices in life.

>yeah no doubt. i'm wondering if most graduate degrees are funded or not though.
They definitely are not. If you do end up getting to the PHD level, there's a good chance you might get some scholarship.
>plus, i've heard of a kind of weird phenomena where people who are overqualified have trouble finding work that's "below" them
That's entirely up to individuals but I certainly would not want to do a very average job if I have a post graduate/PHD.

i'm just saying what jobs are available for a graduate or ph.d that are outside of academia?

Don't study literature or philosophy unless you're getting a full ride from your college. They don't lead to anything other than generic just-above-bottom jobs and adjunct professorship. If you want to go into academia itself you better be ready to do 12 hour days of reading and writing until you're secure.

Psychology can lead to a job, but you'll have to work hard to distinguish yourself as an undergrad and you'll have to do graduate work of some kind.
If you have a masters degree and you apply for a shit job the assumption on the employer's part is that you're going to be using them for a year or less while job hunting, so they don't see the point in investing in training you. It's not that qeird.

>Don't study literature or philosophy unless you're getting a full ride from your college.

I'm not sure about this though. I know people who have philosophy undergrad degrees and they're surprising versatile. You can spin a philosophy degree into something more than it really is through marketing yourself. I don't think it's as limited as you're making it out to be

Civil
Marketing
Journalism
Government
Education
Also probably a lot of opportunities in public/private sectors. You need to go out there and do some actual research my dude. I'd advise going to an educational/job consultant or a professor. There are tons of things this education could open you up to.

I already said you can get jobs with them, but you shouldn't expect to get a job like the OP is talking about, where what you do is ideas.

If you want to work in academia or in a think tank or something you have to eat breathe and shit philosophy or literature for your entire term and really distinguish yourself. There's no, just do the work and get good grades and you're set for a job. This isn't a professional credential like a welders certification.

>If you want to work in academia or in a think tank or something you have to eat breathe and shit philosophy or literature for your entire term and really distinguish yourself.

oh yeah for sure. i just meant making a living in general. i feel like there is this misguided sentiment among the general population that anything outside of applied math or engineering is just absolutely worthless in terms of making a living

I've always wanted to be a teacher. However, the idea of being an administrator or something like that, a wagecuck that wears white buttoned shirt and a tie and sits all day in front of a comuter crunching numbers and whatnot have always attracted me. I like the thought of waking up eagerless, dress up and take the underground to work, come back from work, loosen up my tie, getting a bear and sit on the couch to play some ps2 games.

Life is literally too short to listen to other brainlets.

Abso-Lutely

>i feel like there is this misguided sentiment among the general population that anything outside of applied math or engineering is just absolutely worthless in terms of making a living
This is very much a prevailing sentiment. One of my relative scoffed when I said I wanted to go in this line. But I also had a relative who was a professor himself who praised me for thinking about doing studies in this line, he saw it as me wanting to do something unique which is really true.

I hope you are being ironic here otherwise you purposefully want to differ from the path of enlightened living and that path, quite honestly, leads to a cucked life.

yeah i've come to the point where i'm thinking of lying about my major. i've had a friend's parent ask me what my major was and when i said philosophy he scoffed and asked what i was going to do with it after school.

which is strange because his daughter was doing environmental studies

Bump. I believe in you OP. Will be back to post latter.

>considering other people's opinions as more important than your goals and dreams
You deserve to fail

>Tfw your family fully supports you going for a classics degree
It's definitely nice to have a family that isn't full of brainlets. Just go into what your passion is. Everyone who goes for a degree just for the money ends up regretting it in the end.

Blame capitalism.

My family actaully is very supportive with me choosing the career that i want, but i still feel bad because i know i won't make a good amount of money. Maybe i should invest in bitcoins so i can live as a comfy NEET in a rural house.

>not just being a perpetual student

Anyone who gets a degree (with some rare exceptions) for money is a retard.

If you actually want to make money just get into business and start investing. Working/studying in a field for years that you might not like just for a mediocre wageslave position is pretty hilarious tbqh. Especially when the opportunities with many of these degrees that people choose just for money don't actually have that great opportunities in the first place. They're being sold a lie.

They're being sold 4 years of educated daycare and hospitals are lining their pockets treating alcohol poisoning. People don't take college seriously anymore, not until grad school.

Its a comforting lie, at least. People will argue its for the networking, but you can fucking do that without an alumni. Come on.

What career?

>not as prestigious or high paying as law

>Lawyers being highly paid instead of unemployed

>Pic related

Your family is right about literature being a fucking joke of a career where work is only getting harder to find though. Don't hate them for saying the truth about the consequences of going down this meme path.

Literature is like any other creative field. An incredibly small amount of people get incredibly rich like Rowling and/or incredibly prestigious, a small number of people manage to make a living writing for smaller audiences while maybe not being as successful, and the vast majority just go for broke. Learning about literature does have some cross-applicability, the most obvious is with law because of all the reading and writing. However, there is almost always something better you could learn that would make you more attractive to employers.

Philosophy has general applicability but the actual philosophy credential isn't worth much, probably even less than the literature credential, so you can study on your own time really. Again, there is almost always something you could learn that would make you more attractive to employers.

Psychology is kind of different but IIRC about half of people that get a psychology degree regret it. I don't think this is actually quite as much as a meme as the other career paths but I would note that a lot of jobs after school require you to have small business skills and being able to advertise yourself, and I wouldn't do it unless you are a fairly exceptional student, as the average successful psych student is fairly above average in how hard they work and how smart they are. Being jewish also helps.

>studying philosophy/literature/psychology
It's all fun & games until you graduate and reality hits you like a truck once you realize that it is impossible to move beyond a dead end job with such a degree.

Think of it this way: a degree is an entrance ticket to the theater and the value of your ticket determines in what row you may take a seat. The "knowledge" you are supposed to acquire while studying is almost irrelevant when it comes to future job prospects (clearly there are some exceptions, e.g. medicine). The vast majority of jobs that you cannot apply for unless you have a certain degree can be done by a high-school graduate after a 2 weeks training.

The point I am trying to make is the following: get a proper degree & a well-paying job. If you have a genuine interest for philosophy/literature you will have enough spare time to devote to pursuing your passion, whereas a low-tier job will leave you in ruins.

Why exactly is a well-paying job going to give you more time to study than a low-tier one?

Makes no sense. You're still going to be working just as much, if not more.

>why exactly is a well-paying job going to give you more time to study than a low tier one?
Because after 8+ hours of physical labor you aren't quite capable of engaging in any intellectual activity once you get home.

Not to mention the significance of not being poor. Working a dead end job will crush you in the inside. Let me assume you are either at the end of high-school or an undergraduate. My message to you (and the likes of you) is to wake up from the lie that you have convinced yourself to believe, the lie being that your priority in life is philosophy/literature. It isn't, if it were you wouldn't even be on Veeky Forums in the first place - the mere fact that you are here disqualifies you; the best case scenario is that you have a genuine interest in philosophy/literature.What I am trying to say is that you should wake up before it is too late: work on getting a proper job & a wife. Those are real life priorities for average people, i.e. people of our kin. The longer you refuse to accept this simple fact of life the harder it will hit you back.

You will have enough money that you can afford to stop from time to time.

If you're only breaking even with your income and expenditure, you can never choose to stop working.

The more replaceable you are, the more power your employer has over you to force you to work harder and longer hours.

>You will have enough money that you can afford to stop from time to time.
That's not really how most jobs or careers work. Companies don't take kindly to their employees quitting every few years to work on their hobbies, and prospective employers will be reluctant to hire you when you apply for a new, similar position. You have to work your way up.

>Because after 8+ hours of physical labor you aren't quite capable of engaging in any intellectual activity once you get home.

And engaging in the work of a high paying job somehow exempts you from this?

You are clearly young and have no understanding of the world whatsoever. It all boils down the following: get a 100k+ paying job in a prestigious company, crush your spine on it for ~5 years, get an amazing CV, quit & apply for a meme-tier well-paying job such as consulting. Proceed to enjoy a relaxed lifestyle that allows you to pursue your interests. That's the whole deal.

>telling others they aren't living the real world, while acting like getting a 100k job is easy

Very few positions pay that much at all

>while acting like getting a 100k job is easy
I never said it was easy, but it is definitely doable, whereas studying philosophy/literature and becoming an eminent scholar most certainly isn't. The former is reality & the latter is fantasy.

You are clearly illiterate as I said "most" and you're using a specific example that most people will be unable to achieve.

>get a 100k+ paying job in a prestigious company
Yeah like that's easy as shit. People with engineering, bachelor of science and management degree struggle to find a job and then once they do find it, it's a meme one. Unless you are graduating from a top private institution, getting the job you want (in terms of position and salary) becomes impossible. Not only are you downplaying philosophy/literature but also painting a romanticized picture of applied graduation and their real life value and that's as much far away from the truth as thinking only graduating in philosophy/literature is good enough.

My mother wants to talk me out of studying computer science and tells everybody that I'm studying philosophy.

Your mother is awesome.

>not being born rich

Sorry, but you weren't lucky in life. Look forward to a life of being cattle.

>Because after 8+ hours of physical labor you aren't quite capable of engaging in any intellectual activity once you get home.

Actually, I had the opposite experience. After printing 8 hrs a day, I could concentrate much better on reading in the afternoon (working in printing is boring as hell, sometimes making the same hand-movement for 3/4 hours in a row). On the other hand, after doing programming for 8 hours, I can't read shit.

I'll tell her.

Tbh I really like philosophy, but I enjoy computer science and I don't particularly enjoy wage labouring, which I can (possibly) minimise by getting a decently paying halftime job as a programmer. At least that's how it works out in my fantasy.

Don't fall for the STEM meme. Listen to your mother user and go into philosophy.

they aren't wrong though. there's nothing wrong with studying liberal arts, but make sure you also study/work towards something else you can do as a day job

>get a 100k+ paying job

this simply does not happen at the beginning of your career. 100k+ positions are something you have to advance to through time and continued education even for tech or mathematics related fields. my father retired from a (relatively speaking) pretty high position at the NSA but a 100k+ salary was something he advanced to over his career there, not something he got out of school with a bachelor degree

>listening to the familial jew

What're you planning on using your cogsci degree for? I was originally planning on majoring in cogsci with a minor in philosophy but got dissuaded by people telling me all you can do with it afterward is basically working as a psychologist so I switched to biochem. It's alright, but cogsci still seems so much more interesting.

A University in my City actually has a pretty decent Cognitive Science program. Took a few classes with their philosopher and liked them.

Capitalism is a crime against humanity.

This is the most reddit post of all time

>philosophy
>literature
>psychology
Play your cards right and you can roll them all into one vocation.

I know the feel. I compromised and went into teaching foreign languages.

I could become a cult leader.

That's all academia is, just with varying degrees of success.

That would require actual charisma to apply what you learned on other 3D people.

Which languages user?

bump

said the reddit user

Why would you let yourself be persuaded so easily? Did it not occur to you to research the various career opportunities yourself?

I have a job in a government organization which....I can't really talk about. But suffice to say I know how to talk and get stuff from people...

Bump

>Major in literature
>minor in classics
Feels good

if you can do it and wake up every day and be on point, then do it

just accept the tradeoffs, and make the most out of your circumstances

>be me
>fall for the STEM meme
>graduated with BS in Computer Science
>wasted my senior year shitposting on /pol/ and reading books instead of a finding a job
>now am a disgusting wagie earning $17 an hr doing data entry but at least I get to listen to philosophy/psychology/history for 8 hrs

academia is patronage makework brought to you by the liberal establishment. the part you'll hate, the actual teaching, is literally the only "useful" bit of the job. Go ahead, turn more well-meaning young people stupid enough to pay to hear you speak into unwitting tools of the third-world order

bup

Bump

Go for it OP!

thanks

Clean your room, sort yourself out bucko, and then go for it!

17 isnt bad for data entry desu

>psychology
Sorry kiddo, you are a pretentious asshole.
Profundity is nonexistent.
It's because STEM, especially engineering, is piss-easy.

You're a fucking tool.

t. an actual fucking tool

Yes, you are an actual fucking tool
>le greeks LMAO XDDddxSsdhD DEUS VULT1!!!!

>teaching foreign languages

Sounds ideal. I'm working as an office temp right now and it's made me realise why I spent so long working in hospitality after graduating (philosophy grad btw). I find active jobs with a social focus to be so much better than sitting down all day. I just don't know how people do it.

You should do what interests you. If you don't enjoy the field it will eat you up inside and you'll be a burnt out angry mess within a few years.

P.S. Medicine is not "easy", it's emotionally and physically draining