Between The World and Me by TNC

Just finished reading this. Has anyone here read it?
I am not American so I feel like I cannot be a reliable judge of the verity of the circumstances portrayed. That being said, I thought it was pretty eye opening, as this is probably the first non- sugar coated account I have ever read on what it means to be black in the US.

Can we have a discussion on it Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

viewpointmag.com/2017/05/17/the-birthmark-of-damnation-ta-nehisi-coates-and-the-black-body/
takimag.com/article/the_first_rule_of_white_club_steve_sailer/print
johnhalle.com/outragesandinterludes/adolph-reed-on-sanders-coates-and-reparations/
jacobinmag.com/2016/02/ta-nehisi-coates-case-for-reparations-bernie-sanders-racism/
youtube.com/watch?v=OSTuUs-HVE8
nytimes.com/2017/05/17/arts/black-panther-spinoff-canceled-marvel.html
youtube.com/watch?v=p6yLQRF-cEU
youtube.com/watch?v=ruNrdmjcNTc
youtube.com/watch?v=IjXgbpkKnKo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's bad.

viewpointmag.com/2017/05/17/the-birthmark-of-damnation-ta-nehisi-coates-and-the-black-body/

Quick reminder that in this book TNC admits he felt pain for neither the firefighters who died on 9/11, nor their surviving family.

So fucking what? Why should he? Why did you?
Get over 9/11 you fucking sap.

I read it, and in hindsight it's already outdated (it was written before the whole BLM movement). But I actually liked it. It nicely illustrates his experience of the mental legacy and the mental energy/effort he has to go through to just perform basic societal functions. He mentally can never escape the psychological effects of growing up black and in a ghetto, and how bodily perceptions and societal regulations of his black body have lasting psychological effects.

>he doesn't feel bad for kids who lost their fathers
t. sociopath

I read the article, and although I get why R.L. Stephens thinks that the book is 'afro-pessimistic', i still think the author does not intend to glorify racism or the idea of race

Coates does glorify the concept of race I think. He seems to believe blacks are ontologically different from whites, despite all the evidence to the contrary

takimag.com/article/the_first_rule_of_white_club_steve_sailer/print

Damning stuff.

a shame how modern conservatism has been reduced to a cult of victimhood by literal con artists like sailer

The numale passive agressive prose is so tiring to read its not even funny, even if he may be right about some things.

the liberal establishment has taken to Coates because his ideas are utterly unthreatening to their power. Neocalvinist coastal elites love symbolic , that is purely symbolic, displays of repentance and guilt, they want to be the protagonists, the standard bearers of human progress, this is the story of their redemption, the world may be burning, but they can sleep at night reassured of their place among the elect. To them, middle America is damned, a den of irredeemable reprobates . Remember last year? the Washington Post's first articles about the so called 'heroin epidemic', outright blaming the unwoke unrepentant sinners of flyover country for bringing the blight upon themselves. elites don't actually care about black people in crumbling post industrial inner cities, their day to day immiseration brought on by impersonal,and thus unquestionable, economic forces. Liberals only care about fetishised and egocentrical narratives of redemption in which the victim of police brutality takes the place of Christ, dying for the sins of the white liberal, and not as a consequence of the reality, banal and brutal, of surplus population management under late capitalism.

So if the cop who killed Prince Jones was black himself, what does it leave the book with?

It's not that he glorifies it; he mystifies it for his own superficial literary ends. He treats racism as just some crazy thing that happened for God knows why, like a natural disaster, to which all we can do is stare in awe and terror. Stephens is arguing that this is detrimental to the actual lives of actual black people and, you know, kind of privileged as fuck.

Here's Adolph Reed on Caotes:
johnhalle.com/outragesandinterludes/adolph-reed-on-sanders-coates-and-reparations/

Here's some rando:
jacobinmag.com/2016/02/ta-nehisi-coates-case-for-reparations-bernie-sanders-racism/

Also pic related puts it perfectly: a clever wordsmith.

I love how West ties everything back to jazz no matter what he's talking about.

compare Ta Neshi Coates with Eldridge Cleaver.It is clear America as a whole has undergone a process of pussification.

It's nothing short of a diatribe clamoring for pity. As such it is worthy of nothing short of scorn.

do you feel bad for the black kids that have been killed by cops? what about their families?

do you feel bad for the white kids that have been killed by cops? what about their families?

nope lol. That's why it doesnt fucking matter.

It's clearly a morally different situation you guys.

Honest question as an unapologetically white man is there any reason for me to read something like this?
Sometimes I think about reading stuff like this when it becomes a meme but on the other hand I literally don't care what it's like "being black in America."

If you dont care you dont care, lol why make a problem out of nothing?

i dont "feel" "bad" for anyone

It's not a problem I was asking if there's any reason to read it. I take a passing interest in whatever drifts to the top of the culture but like I said I'm not going to commit any time to something that's irrelevant to me.

>rob, steal, kill, resist arrest
>get killed by cop

>go to work
>get killed by terrorists

Yeah, totally equivalent. Nice reasoning

Marvel Cancelled Ta Neshi Coates' black panther capeshit series due to underwhelming sales lol. seriously, what are Marvel executives smoking?

youtube.com/watch?v=OSTuUs-HVE8

nytimes.com/2017/05/17/arts/black-panther-spinoff-canceled-marvel.html

ta-nahisi coates has no fucking talent so it probably sucked big white dicks... i read ops book, it's written in a really simple way to black kids can read it, it takes like an afternoon, and it sucks. coates made me lose respect for howard. what a poorly educated crank.

I think his great achievement is to really make visceral the "black body" and it's "plundering" by (white) America and that the effects of that initial sin are still being felt today. People that marginalize or disbelieve his lived experience are robbing him of full personhood. I think that's part of what he's getting at: blacks are not enslaved--they're treated as humans--but their bodies, lives, and experiences are still weighed less comparatively to whites.
Think about how many times "nigger" is seen on this board. In using that word, there's an implied indifference to/making light of the unfathomable suffering and hatred that embodies the experience of being black in America. I think that's what TNC is getting at.

Shut up nigger

People make light of anything they're distant to, but honestly at this stage blacks dont need whites to understand shit. We're better off just getting on with our lives and improving out communities.

>and that the effects of that initial sin are still being felt today.

the establishment has a vested interest in masking historical questions of political economy as ahistorical questions of Sin and theology.

>but their bodies, lives, and experiences are still weighed less comparatively to whites.

human life is cheap. the worth the ruling classes place on the 'bodies lives and experiences' of average Americans of any colour is infinitesimal, to say nothing about the lives of foreigners, who can be squashed like ants while all those compassionate liberals look the other way.

>unfathomable suffering

Alot blacks can feel that they are inherently different in many ways from whites. And since this country was built by and for white people, they can feel the disharmony between themselves and the institutions that grew from the dispositions and values of whites. Yet instead of being honest about this incompatibility and forming their own separate place for themselves, they choose to say there are reap the benefits of it while still complaining for more.Because even the ones who complain know that they really don't want to live around other blacks.

so did you find The Sellout refreshingly honest?

I found it so, except that his ideas for forced segregation have already been instituted by White Flight, and have failed miserably.

Liza Bramlett had 23 children by her masters, holy shit. Her Master must have started breeding her right after her first period, age 13-14, and kept her constantly barefoot and pregnant until age 35 or 40.
Her fertility for him was industrial-strength, she was a true factory of life--she birthed him twenty-three babies.
He continued to dutifully plow her dark, fertile field, sowing seed in her, fertilizing egg after egg until her flow ran dry, or until her puss blew out after his twenty-third child.

Can you imagine the pride her Master felt, trying for baby number 20 just a month or two after she pushed his NINETEENTH baby out of her?
The pride he felt while hearing her screams of labor for the tenth, fifteenth, twentieth time, knowing that she was fulfilling her function as his property, she'd yielded fruit, borne a dozen of his offspring, and by his luck, she'd yield a dozen more. In a few days, he would lay her down and try, try again.

>TFW no slave waifu baby factory.
We live in an impoverished world.
Why even live?

No, it sounds like it was just trying to use shock value for attention.
Also if you don't have faith in your group to build a functioning community then stop complaining about the ones who provide one for you.

Between the World and Me is a work of postmodern theology. Afro Pessimism owes a lot to Heidegger and the poststructuralists. god is dead. the human subject has supposedly been deconstructed out of existence, yet it keeps showing up in the unlikeliest places. In the absence of grand narratives, redemption becomes a purely personal task, paving the way for the resurgence of calvinism and the familiar themes of guilt and original sin. We are sinners in the hands of an angry god and most of us are damned.

One of the most brutal literary hitjobs in contemporary American letters. Legendary stuff

Yes and yes

should go back to africa then

lmao

the truth

It's none of my fucking business.

9/11 is enshrined in the pantheon of nostalgic kitsch americana, right next to Coca Cola, velvet Elvises and Marilyn Monroe. I'm unable to take 9/11 seriously as a human tragedy. In fact, the terror media event and associated conspiracy theories bring back involuntary memories of a careless youth, make me feel nostalgic for a simpler more innocent time. ie. the bush years.

>Get the ones behind Bin Laden
Dick Cheney ? the trilateral commision? skull and bones? israeli mossad?

youtube.com/watch?v=p6yLQRF-cEU

youtube.com/watch?v=ruNrdmjcNTc

Holy fuck West's prediction came true. "A mere darling of White and Black neo-liberals" is exactly what Coates has become. He fucking writes Marvel Comics now, for Heaven's sake. And it only took two years.

youtube.com/watch?v=IjXgbpkKnKo
The news footage that came out of New York and around the country was the cinematic event of our generation. Star Wars x 3000. No work of art or entertainment can ever compete with the dread and excitement of watching national monuments explode while thousands of people die on live television. 9/11 literally created the running news banner, a constant and interminable flow of information to compliment images and sounds. It was exhilarating. every Western terrorist attack is an attempt to imitate the craft and genius of 9/11

I know it's comforting to imagine that black failure is due to a vast invisible conspiracy rather than personal incompetence, but it's just not true. Maybe in 1943 you could whine about systemic racism, but in 2017 blacks are objectively the most privileged ethnic group in all of Western society. Elite universities, the media, the government, the justice and welfare system, thousands of non-profits, and virtually every cultural and social institution in Western world openly discriminate in favor of blacks to advance black success. Being born black is living life on easy mode, where every complaint you have gets a headline story and every failure in life is written off as somebody else's fault. If you're black and not successful then somewhere along the way you fucked up HARD, because literally all of society is working collectively to prop you up.

>prediction
It was commentary, not a prediction

it is only the black managerial class who profits from this. black proles kept loosing ground even during the Obama era, ie. mortgage crisis deindustrialisation, prison industry. It's funny how both guilty liberals and alt righters attempt to salvage the myth of american meritocracy and are nostalgic for the ethos of a post war middle class that is being liquidated by changing economic conditions.

The prison industry is an absolute joke of a leftist talking point and only spouted by braindead progs who have done zero research into the issue. Something like 9% of inmates in the United States are in a private prison, a number that is declining. Lamar isn't getting convicted or rape and grand theft auto simply to fill another bed in a private prison; he's getting convicted because he raped and stole a car. The for-profit prisons exist to manage an already astronomic number of black criminals, they do not convict blacks in the first place

Simply, if there weren't so many brown criminals then it wouldn't be necessary to jail so many brown people

savage

Not that user but it seems you're being willingly blind to the fact that the generation of 1943 is still alive today and we are their grandchildren. My grandpa was born into a racially segregated USA. My dad saw Dr. King's assassination on the news. These are not leaps and bounds through time, there are civil rights figures still alive today who helped forge a nation that was working against them into something that would benefit their children, and on a timeline it looks about what you would expect it to. Black females have flooded into academia and jobs and achievements have grown exponentially.
Your claims of being black is being born on easy mode is horseshit, no one holds their hands or approaches them with opportunities anyone else doesn't have. Best you can get is scholarships and a better chance at most universities, if that's what the person wants to do, but most never truly consider higher education to be a real option because 1. Many black families are fatherless 2. Lack of exposure to people who have successfully pursued academics and 3. The street is just more glamorous at a young age. When you grow up poor and fatherless, you join a gang. There isn't even really a choice for most in my area in SoCal. College would be a stupid suggestion to anyone who could make money, social status, familial bonds, and a sense of purpose and belonging all at once without sitting in a classroom for their entire youth.
Education is a hard sell, especially when you're competing with social pressures.
If you could solve the gang problem it would be a legitimate game-changer, but the gang problem is a father problem and at the end of the day no one really cares enough to invest that sort of real help, not american liberal help.

As a black guy who grew up in SoCal, you're right on alotta things, but I think its inaccurate to say there's "no choice" about joining a gang. There's always a choice, and if you're willing to throw away long-term prospects because you value petty things like social status then you get what you get (besides that I know many people who engage in small-time drug dealing while still going to college). I'm glad I learned at a young age that most people are full of shit so I should just do my own thing.

And no I didnt grow up in one of the cleaner parts of SoCal - I had bullets going through my doors.

lol Cleaver is exactly the kind of mandingo dick motherfucker that rubbed Coates' face in the snowy p.s. asphalt as a child. And Coates clambers up and points his chubby finger at whitey for his scars.

I didn't mean "no choice" as though they're born into it, I mean most are not intellectually equipped to weigh that sort of decision with the appropriate amount of foresight, insight, or a real measure of who they are and what they're capable of as an individual.
It's good that you were equipped the way you were through personal insight or negative experiences or familial pressures or whatever, but many don't get that, or enough of it, or at an opportune time.
I know people in gangs who are in gangs because their older brothers and cousins are, and those guys are their role models and "father figures". I know guys in gangs who have been in it since they were in jr high and their idea of success has been reframed to the gang ideology. There's very little room for a lot of people to see their life going any other direction than downwards from the start, and they're gonna go the only place they think they can

Black cognitive inferiority is not whitey's fault. by definition, lower order intellects struggle with abstract thinking e.g. moral reasoning, future time orientation, impulse control

I agree that African American culture promotes anti-intellectualism and violent behavior, but culture and biology are inextricably intertwined. Removing black prole culture from black people does not make them smarter and more successful; transracial adoption studies and surveys of blacks in upper income households demonstrate that they typically remain incompetent buffoons with poor test scores

two black guys on Veeky Forums? woah

mean

Make that three bruh. There's more of us homies than the racist crackers on Veeky Forums would have you think. Have you heard the newest Kendrick Lamar single cuh? Shit's fire

Obvious and embarrassing.

did my negrotude disturb your causasian nonsense? sorry bout that but your mans dont know how to control his blackity blackness--sometimes i just piss all over the place, nahmsayin?

one love. peace. Toni Morrison.

michelle obama is gorgeous you racist

i fucking hate kendrick lamar dude, shit is try hardy as shit

bad taste confession: i did thoroughly enjoy that p-diddy single with rick ross and biggie that was charting on apple music last week, shit reminded me of the 90s when i first moved to nyc and the only rap hot97 played before son down was mainstream badboy records, nice nostalgia trip t b h it's funny how shit that sucked suddenly turns good when it's old enough

>Black cognitive inferiority is not whitey's fault. by definition, lower order intellects struggle with abstract thinking e.g. moral reasoning, future time orientation, impulse control
Point out where I ever mention cognitive capacities or shifted blame to any group outside of American liberalism. Furthermore, intellects are not grouped into "orders", higher lower or otherwise, and "future time orientation" isn't even a real thing. I think you mean foresight.
>I agree that African American culture promotes anti-intellectualism and violent behavior, but culture and biology are inextricably intertwined.
That's a dangerously broad statement that implies more than you have laid the groundwork for. Black culture is a reflection of broken families spiraling around damaged masculinity. During segregation and real systemic racism it was the men that took the hardest hit, and black culture is marked by that.
>transracial adoption studies and surveys of blacks in upper income households demonstrate that they typically remain incompetent buffoons with poor test scores
I've seen studies go both ways (pic related) and I've seen both sides refuted and supported until it became clear that the studies reflected very little of the truth.
I'm not really a Petersonfag, but he did an interview with a black guy where he stated that he saw the academic scores of various groups at a school that showed white females testing highest, followed by white males, followed by ethnic minority females and ethnic minority males were on the bottom. And, being a psychologist, he wondered why that was, but, being someone that actually cares about people and not some ideological pseud, he looked towards the environmental factors rather than writing it off as a genetic shortcoming. Anyways he applied his self authoring program to the ethnic minority males and within the span of a few years that group was scoring the same as the white females. Because the self authoring program gave them an opportunity to reflect, to set goals, and to establish personal plans to attain those goals. It worked so well he considered making it more accessible to black youth, but didn't know how to go about doing that in good taste. Of course I'm paraphrasing, but that sounds like such simple things, but most impoverished youth don't have that sort of opportunity, or a father who would generally engage that mind frame.
Look up Peterson's vid with Someblackguy if you give a damn. Happens somewhere in the first half hour or so.
"genetics" is a cop-out if you can't approach the issues with the complexity they demand

>During segregation and real systemic racism it was the men that took the hardest hit, and black culture is marked by that.

except the black family only collapsed in the 60s after the introduction of welfare, you can thank your liberal (((buddies))) for that, racism didn't cause it, welfare did

TNC is a clown and a pathetic simulacrum of James Baldwin.

nothing has done more harm to 'black bodies' than other black bodies

>Anyways he applied his self authoring program to the ethnic minority males and within the span of a few years that group was scoring the same as the white females.

holy shit a small time academic crank with a youtube channel has solved black underachievement! they just needed to order his self-authoring plan from gofundme!

shhh this is supposed to be a fact-free debate

But his point was that there shouldn't be black proles. If a black puts in the absolute minimal effort they will be put through college and get a degree and a cushy affirmative action job. The ones I actually feel bad for are the 99th percentile blacks that live in the constant existential crisis of not knowing if merit or skin color got you where you are.

Thats when you switch to full pragmatist and just care about the money. If people really want to think skin color is that important then let them throw their money at you lol. This society is already a joke.

>"future time orientation" isn't a real thing
It's funny that a black guy would say this.
Do you not believe that Watson's 'g', we don't even have to call it by its other name, is something that can be measured? It's obviously not all genetics, but how much of the problem is generic? How could you even measure that?

*genetic

>ontologically different
I was gonna get mad about this but instead I'm just gonna ask you to clarify your user of the term "ontological" in this context, I'm not sure I understand.

>'future time orientation'
>not 'projection of the ego avatar along the virtual forward-time continuum'

lol underrated post

Thanks for making me aware of this book it sounds awesome.

Every one that has either claimed to or been proclaimed to be Baldwin's successor is laughable in comparison.

I think there is a lot of talk of racism and /pol/ these days but if you ask me the real racists are the niggers

we wuz black... AND white... like muhfuggin yin & yang, night & day, naamsayin

>didn't know about soul on ice

wtf lol t b h tho i first learned about from a rap album by rass kass. anyways if u like cleaver then check this too