What literature captures what it means for a child to become a man?

What literature captures what it means for a child to become a man?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B00CD428BU/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hobbit

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Venus in Furs

bumping

A coming of age novel

The catcher in the rye

love me sumodat woutteau, never really noticed that creepy old mother fucker in the back pulling the swing wtf

oh shit my bad its by mother fuckin fraganord, anyways luv me sumodat rococo i shud say, fragonard is danker than weatteau anyways, his shit reminds me of a sega genesis game, like look at all those bubbly little leaves that are reminiscent of 16bit graphics

>tfw it was a cuck painting all along

Narziss & Goldmund

What it means? I don't know. But one of the miracles of War and Peace is Tolstoy's seamless presentation of Nikolai Rostov's development from wide-eyed, dreamy boy to cynical middle aged man.

These sound fantastic. I've been contemplating my development from boy to man lately. Just a few years ago, I was still so young, going off to college, still vain and naive. Of course I still am, though perhaps a little less so. And though I'm older now, and more aware and more successful all around, I'm unable to shake these vague feelings of tragedy, of loss. I express with the hope that you will relate and express your own thoughts on the manner, as you are likely young men in their early 20s as well. Do you feel this, the death of the child?

Fuck off, Wordsworth.

The Shadow Line

>not knowing the bildungsroman genre

pls leave

The Shadow over Innsmouth

I was referring more to specific literature. It seems a majority of the people in this thread picked up on that. I'm sorry you were unable to. I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you happen to have some kind of condition that inhibits your ability to pick up on social cues or relate to others properly?

>What literature captures what it means for a child to become a man?
>he asked the board filled with manchildren
lmao

Three fucking top notch answers right here I'd definitely check these out.

I would implore you to suss any of these also: East of Eden, Sons and Lovers, Great Expectations.

But those are all shit and your recs are hot garbage?

The Metamorphosis.

Uhmm no

a child to man not man to bug

The Unknown Soldier.

catcher in the rye is meme recommendation for what op wants

Musashi

It should be required reading for teenagers IMO

The Bible

Dude....just go try to TALK to a women. Just for starters.

opened thread to suggest this one

also the crossing by cormac mccarthy

I've been in a steady relationship for nearly 3 years. Stop projecting and rec me some literature.

lol chill out with the autism

Demian, but none of you fuckers read any Hesse except 'ma Steppenwolf'.

Also 'When I Was Five I Killed Myself', cos let's be real, an Autistic child discovering the bizarre notions of civilized society in a forceful manner is really a metaphor for life, amirite??

Witkiewicz - Insatiability

I was in your shoes not long ago, user.

I recommend Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Siddhartha, and A Farewell to Arms.

Portrait is great solely because young Stephen and his struggles are easy to relate to, and his path to independence is great. Think of his name: Stephen = christian influence, following his family and country. Daedalus = greek man who crafted wings to fly himself out of prison and freed himself. Stephens name alone represents his growth.

Siddartha is just a good book about following your own path toward enlightenment, though a lot of people here seem to dislike it.

As far as A Farewell to Arms, nothing forces boys to grow up like war does. War is fascinating and terrible, and even a scene like the opening 12 minutes of Saving Private Ryan should be enough to wake you up to the fear these young men had to deal with, knowing they would surely die. Plus Hemingways machismo is hard to not be influenced by.

Hope this helps you on your path.

The Odyssey

Wilhelm Meister's Apprentice Years.

>What literature captures what it means for a child to become a man?
none because being a man is the biggest meme.

Siddartha (Hesse)
Thus spoke Zarathustra (Nietzsche)
Tristram Shandy (Sterne)
Whatever (Houellebecq)

Beauvoir's "The Ethics of Ambiguity"

Book of five rings?

amazon.com/dp/B00CD428BU/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Dosto has a shot story about it, but. Don't remember the name right now

It's pretty garbage though.

what exactly doyou mean by shady relationship?

A Farewell to Arms is totally eclipsed by All Quiet on the Western Front, though.

Going to rec Grendel, even though it takes a good bit of prereading to get into since you need to be fresh off reading Beowulf and have some analytical work on Grendel itself before the themes and motifs become sensible. Still a phenomenal book.

The Red Pony

Demian

demian

you srs? catcher IS fundamentally a 'war' novel, and its not a fucking bilDUNGsroman, but if you can't read it and see it as some discussion of what it means to transition from childhood to adulthood, you're a spannerhead. And if it's a "meme recommendation" because it's "not good" well that's just fuckin retarded because it is IMO and most people only hate on it because they were forced to read it in high school, etc.

yup, the husband is pulling the swing and the guy in the bushes is the lover