What are some books where the main character is decidedly the villain...

What are some books where the main character is decidedly the villain? That means I'm not talking about books like The Count of Monte Cristo of The Stranger

Melmoth the Wanderer, The Petty Demon, Lolita

>Melmoth the Wanderer
I've seen it more often than usual on Veeky Forums these past months and it looks wild, I'll give it a go

Paradise lost

Marlowe's Tamburlaine the Great parts 1 & 2.
MacBeth
The Human Beast (Zola)
Madame Bovary
Crime and Punishment

Iliad.

American psycho

The Stranger, depending on your interpretation. my interpretation is that the character is obviously a narcissist with definite sociopathy, or some other personality disorder

The picture of Dorian Gray

>Madame Bovary
>vilain

wtf

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MONTRESOR

She is kind of terrible. Maybe he meant Vanity Fair?

Thought query was something like CONSCIOUSLY chooses to be the bad guy. In Bovary that would have to be the Madam, much as we perhaps sympathize. Her crime was to expect life to yield more than it is capable of yielding, i.e. of not becoming some femme philosoph, -Bouvard's sister, or Pecuchet's!

delet this

Diary of Anne Frank

Bel-ami by Guy de Maupassant

>Madame Bovary
>Crime and Punishment
THE villain; not, has villain-like characteristics, but, is literally THE villain. In C&P that asshole who tries to marry Dunya is more the villain than Raskolnikov is, and Madame Bovary --- well, she's very unlikable at times, but I wouldn't call her the villain of the novel, lmao

Again, he explicitly said not The Stranger.

Perfume

120 Days of Sodom

The fountainhead

Kind of.

Always thought that point is he is really a victim. I mean, by the end I felt sorry for the fucker.

>we could read interesting philosophical ideas into this text and then discuss them by themselves or in relation to the text
>but no he was just crazy lol
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying you're boring.

Protagonist of Less Than Zero is much closer to Villain when you think about it. You kind of understand Bateman's emotions while Clay does not seem to have many, or just does not give a shit about anything.

But Jesus is the main character of paradise lost.