Will boiling a persimmon get rid of the astringency?

Will boiling a persimmon get rid of the astringency?

You have to wait when they are ripe, you're trying to eat them when they are not ripe which is when they are hard. You have to wait till they get really soft.

I made persimmon jam and it was a fucking atrocity. The texture/mouth-feel was disgusting. It went straight in the bin.

>Texture/mouth feel
Wanna know how I know you're a child?

Yes please. Tell me.

I can only imagine. No idea how people eat these things at all, let well alone in a jam.

b

google how to eat an astringent persimmon, i think i saw a lot of solutions
i had one of the non astringent ones for the first time ever due to someone giving it to me swearing i had to try it
and it tasted like body wash or snot or something.
gross

No, just keep it in the fridge for 2 weeks, near frozen.

You are a failure.

first you're going to have to tell me what the fuck "astringency" means

also what's a persimmon

Fuyu or Hachiya?

Hachiya you just have to wait until they're soft as fuck. Fuyu can be eaten as is because they're only mildly astringent at their worst, but they do get sweeter as they get softer, like a banana.

I eat them quite a bit, and only notice astringency in the peel or when they're not ripe. Are you sure yours are ripe?

Exactly this. People only hate persimmons because they don't understand them.

I've been getting lots of bags of ripe persimmons from the Asian supermarket's $0.99 rack :-)

You can freeze them but that'll turn them into a
sticky thick jelly state. Buy them semi-soft.

Finally, somebody who knows what they're talking about. I actually like Fuyu when they're still a touch crisp, like one of those Asian pears, so you get a mix of some of the jelly and it's also mild with a bit of a crisp and you have a couple different textures going.

I hate persimmons because I had two trees in my back yard and it was my job to clean up after them.
Rancid fruit. Rots before it falls.

Like black people.
Cracking down on blacks.

Non-astrigent Fuyu Persimmions smell distinctly of cum. Not even memeing, they smell remarkebly like cum. The taste is fine raw, similar to a pear, it's just that they smell like a fresh load of nut.

persimmons are disgusting

they really do

The acorn shaped ones that get soft and squishy smell like candy. I made persimmon cookies for the first time the other day and they were fantastic.

Why do you think Veeky Forums likes them so much

>Texture
Mouthfeel

there isnt much you can do , astrigancy is due to tannic concentrations due to being under ripe....cooking may lower it but it still wont be great....you have to buy ripe, or get the mild japanese ones that are safe under ripe

the japanese ones are great cause they have nice firm textured flesh and can be made into sweet/sour pickles,

check farmers markets for tubs of pulp, there are small north american ones that get super soft and people often freeze and seel the pulp, fantastic in bread or pudding(i like it in corn meal pudding)

Wanna know how I could tell you're an autist?

Persimmon is only ripe when it's almost completely red and completely falling apart. It's not rotten in that state, it's ripe. It's very sweet and has a slight taste of honey, the problem is that it's a bit gelatinous, so many people won't like it.