Rate my stock

Rate my stock

is it vegan

Bullish.
I say buy.

Nobody cares.

cloudy/10 I bet you followed an asian technique.

Looks pretty good, nice job. Now make consomme from it.

There's literally nothing wrong with cloudy stock if you're cooking at home. OP did fine.

But you don't have to have cloudy stock even if it is for the homecook.

It literally makes no difference.

>literally
Back to tumblr tumblerina.

Not an argument, nigger.

Why would I argue, if you want shit stock eat shit stock.

The meme is that tumblr people use the word "literally" incorrectly. (i.e. I literally died laughing)

Stop trying to fit in.

>use the word "literally" incorrectly
he was using it incorrectly.

How does cloudiness affect the taste?

Last stock thread someone posted about a french technique called "oignon brule" where they sear black an onion to give the stock a more golden color. I havent tried it, but it sounds interesting. God damn those frogs can cook.

The cloudiness if from the emulsified "scum" that accumulates on the top, you are suppose to skim that off as it tastes bitter and muddles the flavor. Obviously if those bits are emulsified into the stock then you'll have those off flavors in your finished stock.
You're welcome, user.

That stuff at the top is just fat, and it does not taste bitter. You are wrong.

>That stuff at the top is just fat,
delusion. it's denatured proteins (the complete opposite of fat) and they trap bitter compounds.

Incorrect. It's fat.

Incorrect it's albumin, it's why you start with cold water for a stock as it works to clear the stock and collect bitter compounds (via ions) it's there to help you make better stock but you have to remove it, not emulsify it back into your stock.
You can take my advice or not ,but you are objectively incorrect.

When you make consomme you add albumin via frothed egg whites, this further clears the stock to crystal clear levels.

>bullish
What did you mean by this?

It isn't

It is indeed cloudy, I've been having issues with temperature control and sometimes while I'm smoking weed I'll take too long and I've got a boil going. I really just need to sit in the fucking kitchen. I didn't use an Asian technique. Also I did skim the scum, I guess not well enough

Thanks dude, I heard about the egg raft tech in the same thread heard about the onion, which I'm definitely trying too

Also you two faggots who are arguing about tumblr and "literally" need to get the fuck out and kiss each other

Looks a little cloudy but is probably still good. Pic related is some Consommé I made from my stock. I put it in a glass just to see how clear it was.

five

>Also I did skim the scum, I guess not well enough
It depends on your straining technique. If you strain "hard" the strainer will how your stock got cloudy as it's like whipping up an emulsification. The other source is boiling. Never boil stock as you already know since you said you had temp issues. The CIA recommends never bringing stock above 190F. Visually that has a bubble breaking the surface every few seconds.

nice.

>What did you mean by this?
Think about the other meanings of the word "Stock".

>CIA
Was boiling stock part of your plan?

BOIL!

This is how pressure cookers allow you to produce clear stocks as the pressurized steam doesn't allow a lot of boiling action, thus no emulsification albumin.

Out of what

Very nice

I should totally get a thermometer anyway - but that's good advice. I've got a pretty nice strainer but I've heard that cheesecloth is a great addition to any stock straining

Thermometers are nice to have for other aspects of cooking, but are impractical for stock making as you'll have to have one with a long stem and a column of water with shit in it will have different temps depending on where you poke it. If I were a degenerate stoner like you I'd just put it into a 190F oven. and not worry about it till after my weed naps. Just don't light up until after you've skimmed for the first half hour.

good point - I'll keep it in mind!