Is this a fucking joke?

Is this a fucking joke?
nordic.businessinsider.com/stanford-summer-reading-list-2017-6/

- Homegoing,' by Yaa Gyasi
- The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History,' by Elizabeth Kolbert
- 'Salvage the Bones,' by Jesmyn Ward

These are the first books you should read as a stanford undergrad! Iam so glad i never studied there. what a waste of time and money

Other urls found in this thread:

undergrad.stanford.edu/advising/approaching-stanford/three-books
youtube.com/watch?v=DIGeDAZ6-q4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oxygenation_Event.
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

undergrad.stanford.edu/advising/approaching-stanford/three-books

Can't believe a professor of the hard sciences would be pick such trash.

youtube.com/watch?v=DIGeDAZ6-q4

Still ranked 3rd in the world. And the Sixth extinction is a good book.

muh ranking
muh insecurity

They don't rank you 3rd unless your academic accomplishments are sufficient and represent a certain degree of high-level education and research

You don't go around touting this as evidence of merit unless you're insecure that your personal experience at the institution was insufficient

I didn't even study at Stanford, nor did I apply. I wouldn't even want to be found dead at a non top-2 university.

>he'd be caught dead at the 2nd best university in the world

You're never gonna make it.

Bitch please, I'm an Oxonian

>Nietzsche didn't teach at his University
Kek

What are you even talking about, he actually did

>In part because of Ritschl's support, Nietzsche received a remarkable offer to become professor of classical philology at the University of Basel in Switzerland. He was only 24 years old and had neither completed his doctorate nor received a teaching certificate ("habilitation"). He was awarded an honorary doctorate by the University of Leipzig, again with Ritschl's support.[36]

Despite the fact that the offer came at a time when he was considering giving up philology for science, he accepted.[37] To this day, Nietzsche is still among the youngest of the tenured Classics professors on record.[38]

Basler?

The Sixth Extinction is a great read.

muh ecosystem

evolution is exstinction, erverything is natural

youre right that us causing a max extinction isn't "unnatural." it's happened before en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oxygenation_Event. we're still causing mass ecocide and gradually making the planet more and more uninhabitable for humans.

"So careful of the type?" but no.
From scarped cliff and quarried stone
She cries, "A thousand types are gone:
I care for nothing, all shall go.

whats wrong with caring for the environment. A destroyed ecosystem can produce a score of problems ranging from food shortages, increased immigration etc. Seriously, its not a "liberal" issue, its a existential issue for everyone regardless of political leanings.

so? humanity is part of the so-alled naure and its time to face our own extinction. whats wrong with vanishing from this miserable planet?

*so-called nature

Because not everyone is a fucking nihilist. There is a life outside stay indoors miserable about everyone else, you may like to try it some time

this is not about nihilism, this is about facing the inevitable fate of humanity.

And if your thesis is true, why are all those people outside are littering the environment, driving cars, polluting the atmosphere? i have a very good ecological footprint just by staying at home

>the sixth extinction

hey, we gotta rape the earth if we want to become a type 1 kardashev ecumenopolis

we're not going extinct, bucko. even if we reach the worst case scenario with climate chance of 5+ degrees C warming there will still be millions of us kicking around in the global north. humans are like cockroaches.

do nothing is almost as bad as what you're decrying against. As well, staying in really limits your world view and experience.

If we really are here for a short period of time, why not try to help ourselves by bettering the world or trying to provide a more better future for the inevitable generations.

What should they have been told to read instead then?

heaven is for real

The Nag Hammadi Library

Start with the Greeks.
Veeky Forums has better recommendations for fucks sake.

Nietzsche

Not everyone is a pleb like Veeky Forums who started the Greeks in their 20s. Most of them have probably already read them.