Trainspotting

will I understand the scotting slang? English is not my 1st language
but mainly
is this book any good?

its a liberal book against whiteness and masculinity

no memes please

fucking fantastic book. i recommend diving into scottish twitter, makes the scots dialect that dominates the book a lot easier to understand

>will I understand the scotting slang? English is not my 1st language

Not a chance. Aside from being a poor man's Selby Jr., the novel is written in and relies on Scottish dialect. Unless you're familiar with their pronunciation and slang, and comfortable with subvocalising the phonetic writing, you'll probably struggle.

Just work through it and look things up if necessary. I really enjoyed this book and I'm not an English native speak either. The book gives you a very interesting insight into heroin plagued Scotland. Its still great even if you have watched the movie before.

as a burger i tried to read it a few years ago and had no idea what the fuck was going on

I dinnae ken

I honestly think the movie was a good 10x better than the book, it actually puts a coherent story to all the nonsense.

My edition also had a glossary of Scottish slang words, but I only found that out after finishing the book.

cf damien hirst cover edition lmao

poor man's burroughs

Yes, so long as you read it out loud.
There's slang, but if you've read or watched english shows or books before, then you should be able to, at the very least understand what they mean, even if you're not familiar with the phrase.

As argie, it was impossible to me...

As Canadie it was difficult for me. I can sympathize.

Fucking idiots: fart sniffers deluxe edition. 1930's lit is best DLC available with season pass.

>I recommend diving into scottish twitter, makes the scots dialect that dominates the book a lot easier to understand.

>scottish twitter
gib some links please

only found this excerpt and can understand it with no problems. Does it mean I pass or this is the easy part?

Whin yir oan junk, aw ye worry about is scorin. Oaf the gear, ye worry aboot loads ay things. Nae money, cannae git pished. Goat money, drinkin too much. Cannae git a burd, nae chance ay a ride. git a burd, too much hassle, canne breathe withoot her gitten oan yir case. Either that, or ye blow it, and feel aw guilty. Ye worry aboot bills, food bailiffs, these Jambo Nazi scum beatin us, aw the things that ye couldnae gie a fuck aboot whin yuv goat a real junk habit. Yuv just goat one thing tae worry aboot. The simplicity ay it aw. Ken whit ah mean? Rento stops to give his jaws another grind

>scottish twitter

ah yes, following people who are so insecure about their scottishness that they end every word with 'ae' while whining about the BBC and yoons, I bet it's great fun

>spelling phonetically is a separate language

face it scotfags, you speak english. "scots" could eb described as a dialect at best.

>t. pretentious little smug fart sniffers