Feynman Lectures - could i understand them as a physics layman (only some basics of chemistry)?

Feynman Lectures - could i understand them as a physics layman (only some basics of chemistry)?

Other urls found in this thread:

feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>2017
>science

That's the point, yes.

?

It's for undergraduate students.

P.S.
feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

That shit is out of date though.

Most people really like them, but I think the Feynman lectures are a bit hard if you don't already know the material (though they are enlightening if you do). I think it would be hard for a layman to learn from them with no prior exposure to physics.

what is relevant and not out of date tho

>?

From my living with a dude that is a engenieer, the first thing you need to understand physics is Logic. After that you start with math.
But I can't be sure op.

Would i gain anything if i spend time to read and understand them? Or should i have fun time reading literature?

cream and sweetener please

his video lectures given in auckland are pretty great if you want to learn quantum mechanics.

Physics is one of the most enlightning fields of knowledge.
Tho I am terrible at natural sciences (like, realy bad) and pretty much like chemistry more than the other subjects, when you understand physics the world around you seens more logical and you can come to conclusions using mathematical theorems and so on.
Your understanding of your surroundings gets better once you start grasping the reality around you with help of physics and so on.

Feynman is great at layman understanding, but some things will go over your head (look some terms he come up with in google, etc. at least for a bit of background). Do not let this keep you from pushing on, the lectures are great in changing the way you look at ordinary things, he uses basic intuitionist logic that you can follow most times even when it is embellished by calculus.

Feynman is specially good because he does not pose any grandiose notions of logical positivism: he gives you a way to look at things, and to come up with nice maps of how they relate to each other, and from that you can infer interesting aspects about your surroundings which may improve your life or give you a warm feeling of understanding. It is a quest that rewards "naive" curiosity and simple questions more than attempts at deep ontology. And he is a great guide for this kind of journey.

>first and second year physics
>out of date

that's sort of the point professor

>which may improve your life or give you a warm feeling of understanding.
I ve only got this fuzzy feeling from social psychology. Im dubious about your claim. Do you mean that finding order in a system is calming?

shitty app please

>bought these lectures with money i didnt have when going through a manic episode
>put them on my shelf and never looked at them again

ayy

who are you and why are you describing me?

wrong

is this shit outdated already or should i read some new shit?

someone actually posted this

>Do you mean that finding order in a system is calming?
No shit. We are driven to do so, that's why we project meaning onto everything. Why do you think we like extremely simplified, neat political boxes and music?

jesus fucking christ it's ok you people don't study physics but stop being so ignorant and read a wikipedia article at least. How the fuck can things like a 50 years old book on classical mechanics be outdated?