Why did all of his stories take place in Europe instead of the United States?

Why did all of his stories take place in Europe instead of the United States?

Because he simply enjoyed the euro aesthetic?

I'm a subhuman Brazilian, but when I write I always imagine first world scenarios, I don't wanna write in any place of Brazil because its simply boring

Why not write in Brazil and elevate it to a level that you have not seen in your own country's work heretofore? Also, user, don't refer to yourself as subhuman, it's demeaning. Ask more of yourself and then live up to it.

Every Brazilian has subhuman gene in them, the first world sent their scum when they colonized us
Besides the lack of nationalism since Brazil was always looked like a golden mine for the people in power here, I hate the hot and wet climate from my country and I hate my countrymen even more for not reading and being stupid overall

I'm just grateful for my mother who taught me how to read when I was 2 so I never stopped from there, portuguese is alrighty so its a shame I hate my country

Europe seems really old and therefore spooky to americans

America didn't have much cultural presence. All the stories he read were set in Europe so that's what he wrote.

How old are you?

He's right though, Brazilians are subhumans

>Sent their scum
Still mad uma delicia?
Remember that the "scum" genocided your men and raped every single one of your women. Enjoy the damp favela.

>he dislikes most based country in the world
Viado do caralho.

>UMA DELICIA
>boring

>Chimping out like actual subhumans just because someone has a different opinion than them
Thanks for proving my point

USA deadbeat here. Brazil seems way the hell more interesting than this dreary place. You guys have this heartwrenching history of exploitation and economic cycles and ennui and senseless political violence and decadence and we're a bunch of stuck-up prudes who figure out how to build a war machine some time around 1940. I'm far more interested in stories set in Brazil - are you kidding?

Sempre que leio sobre um brasileiro a odiar o seu país fico com uma sede de o matar. Lixo humano.

T. português

Are (you) kidding me?

People on Brazil don't even read, I remember Forbes publising an article saying being a writer in Brazil is the most degrading job in the world, people have no culture and we can't even own a gun its hard to buy stuff outside this shithole because the real is shit and we need to pay 70% in taxes from the total price of the product and don't get me started on how shitty the delivery from correios and we can do nothing about it since they have the monopoly from the governament, the worst internet in the world and we can't even buy a gun to defend ourselves so we live in fear and misery everyday

I'd rather live in a dying USA than this purgatory any day

At least half take place on Atlantic coast US. He wrote more than just Amontillado and the Dupin stories.

Because Europe was a far away land for Americans then, and Romanticism thrived on the mystical and old. Not exactly rocket science.

Because Europe was pretty cool 150 years ago. My, how times have changed...

Does he really count as an American writer then? He was a wannabe European and as such we might be able to claim him.

From my perspective, the only value of writing about one's own time and place, even in fiction, is to paint a picture that you think everyone who doesn't live there is completely unaware of. It helps if that also happens to be something worth informing people about, even if the thesis is one of condemnation rather than celebration. You don't have to love your time and place to achieve this, a critical or farcical message can only benefit from living in a situation worthy of criticism or ridicule

"I have no arguments!"
Ftfy

But keep hating on me just because I have a different opinion than you

>literally on krautchan right now
>listening to Radio freies Krautchan (Veeky Forums should have something like this)
>electro beat with some black guy muttering about how he is FBI - Female Body Inspector

So this is European culture

I don't get why brazilians are so pessimists. There's so much your country has done that you should be proud of.
I'm from Ecuador, probably the most mediocre country in Latin America, and i love this country. I love it because i feel proud of what realtively little this nation has accomplished in the Arts and other fields and see evertything bad about as something that i and other ecuadorians should fight to improve. I think you need balance to feel good about things that might seem shitty, like your own country. To love what is great and try to improve what is wrong. I've been around all over the country and couldn't help but admire its beauty, and feel pity for the poor folk that represent the issues we have.
Maybe i am too young and romantic, but i try to be as objective as possible, and this works for me.

Yeah, but that's not "boring" is my point. Absolutely I agree I'd rather *live* here in the cozy Pacific Northwest, free of everything you described, especially the strange desire to own weapons, and where I'm well off enough to muse about more "exciting" place. But in terms of literary setting? Brazil deserves more credit than "boring."

Usher's house was based off Hezekiah Usher's house in Boston, so we can assume Roddy Usher lives in the US

another "Brazilian wannabe white" episode
Para com essa porra

>born in America
>lived his entire life in America
>wrote stories which the majority were ambiguously set
>died in a gutter in America
You're right, he seems pretty European to me. But seriously, he was more popular in Europe than America and he could have just been appealing to his reader base for some stories with more European flavor.

>krautchan
it was kc tier poster. fuck off back to your cesspool of virgins

>Brazil
>Boring

>Dude Paulo Coelho
>Dude Machado de Assis
>Dude Carlos Drummond
>Dude Clarice Linspector
>Dude Jose de Alencar

>I'd rather live in a dying USA than this purgatory any day

Write bout this and sell it in the US. I think I may not be wrong in saying that publishers in the US fight each other to publish the works of expatriates. A simple novel of even your most mundane experiences may have more weight in the US than the most formally perfect treatment of the US suburban experience.

Some of his boyhood was spent in England.

Machado really wanted to be white though

If we're to accept Poe was an european writer, then suddenly three quarters of all decent american writers are suddenly polish, russian, german, etc