Be part of a guild with the sole purpose of torturing people

>be part of a guild with the sole purpose of torturing people
>let one of them die of mercy because muh dick
>get rewarded with an incredible sword worth more than your life and freedom
>spend the last chapters doing who the fuck knows what because everything is happening so fast
>it was all a scheme to give him the holy grail of their universe, in secret
>book ends

wat

There are, like, 12 more books

My thoughts exactly OP. Just finished the Claw of the Concilliator and it doesn't get better.

>The Book of the New Meme

brainlets

How so?

Oh boy it's another chapter about a hot female character throwing herself on Severians dick

>brainlets

>He hasn't read Augustine

The chapter where Severian gets his first dic succ was just as hilarious. He went from lanky virgin to Ron Jeremy in an instant.

Why must critiques of this book be this pathetic?

I was skeptical that the series was overhyped, however all the detractors only whine about Severian's relationships.

Getting laid made me feel like superman, it's natural for a character's demeanor to completely change when pussy is accessible and when your confidence is up.

Read the first two books and I loved them, worth the hype.

Gimmie some critiques that fucking matter yo. Get real.

> The library
> The Ape Cave
> The Green Man
> Jonas reveal and exit
> meeting the Autarch for the first time
> the description of terminus est

Those scenes are phenomenal, top tier fantasy and scifi in this book.

There's a difference of pussy being available and pussy throwing itself at you 24/7

>Gimme some critiques that fucking matter yo
How about the shit dialogue, the crappy world building, and the horrible characterization?

malazan fag plz go

harry potter is probably more your speed bro

You're genuinely a moron if that's what you think this book is lacking.

What's good world building in your eyes?

>the matachin tower was a rocket
really makes the neurons fire

>Urth
>Earth
woah

>guy's an executioner
>named Severian
>Sever
woah

oh you again

> Hopefully a joke will deflect my lack of proper arguments!

Wew.

>implying i give a shit about your sci-fi wanking to a walrus enough to assemble an argument against it
you're overestimating your importance

> I don't care, but I gotta reply to say I don't care or else he won't know!

Yeesh man, little young to be up this late.

I like Wolfe. But then again, I like Zelazny and Vance and GRRM and JRR and Sanderson and Rothfuss and Herbert and Brooks and Le Guin. Never fucked with Malazan. Maybe I should...

Is Wolfe superior in a certain difficult to quantify way? Yes, but he is also inferior as far as readability is concerned.

You cannot consume Wolfe like JK Rowlings. The Book of the New Sun is best digested in small quantities. A chapter a night.

>pussy throwing itself at you 24/7
Let's go through all of the pussy in Book of the New Sun
>Prostitute that looks like Thecla
Being strong-armed into awkwardly losing your virginity to someone who looks like your oneitis isn't very power-fantasy.
>Thecla
She's just in it for the lulz but she means a lot to Severian. Unusual for somebody in Severian's position but it's a major plot-point rather than sex for the sake of wish-fulfillment or making Severian seem awesome.
>Dorcas
They're immediately drawn to each other because they're related, even though they don't know it. Again, this is a relationship Severian takes very seriously. His relationship with Dorcas doesn't make him a pussy-slayer, he sincerely loved her.
>Jolenta
This is really the only instance in the entire story that could come even close to counting, but her reason for doing so doesn't really feel contrived and her presence in the story makes Severian's relationship with Dorcas so much more interesting, especially once it's revealed that Dorcas got a shot at that 11/10 puss before Severian did.
>Lake lady
He saves her from slavery and they fuck once. Seems kind of weird but nothing too remarkable in the grand scheme of things. Hints are dropped that she's Severian's sister even though his sister being Merryn makes far more sense.
>mercenary lady
From the sounds of it she's a giant slut, Severian still seems to end up caring about her and admits to feeling guilty about never seeing her again after the battle.

Severian doesn't have pussy thrown at him constantly. Over the course of his huge journey in which a mountain of insane shit happens he has sex with 6 women. The average Chad can accomplish more in a couple of days with Tinder.

>digested
People using food terminology to describe reading disgusts me, it sounds vulgar and is also only used by plebs when making retarded points. Wolfe is easy reading if you aren't retarded, bad writing is difficult. I can read Wolfe quicker than any other /sffg/ writer around. From the sounds of it you suck at reading.

i care, just not enough to argue. about your raging catholic hardon for bald walrus guy and his head chopper named choppy.

Book of the new sun is unpalatable. All spicy words with no meat. You read it once with no meat. Then start over and the meat's there. Sunk cost fallacy. Emperor's new clothes.

>severian: 6 > user: 3
Considering those are the only female characters it is quite a bit.

A French writer, Michel Folco, wrote a superb series of very historically accurate books describing something very similar, although it was the story of an executioner's family, his descendants and their hereditary post. "Dieu et nous seuls pouvons". There was a film made of the first book some years ago, really good.

The second half of the first book as absolute shit and you know it. It broke the pace and did too much in too fast.

You know, it's worth pointing out that Severian isn't exactly hideous. Far from it, he's tall and pale and handsome, he clearly has some Exultant genes in him, and it makes him very very desirable on the purely physical level. It's not unbelievable that women might throw themselves at him, particularly in the case of Jolenta, who just wants to fuck anything she finds attractive.

I've only read the first book and outside very key places like the Citadel and the botanic gardens places barely described, I'm assuming later books don't do this because there is a ton of artwork out there.

All the characters are named after saints, each saint is symbolically related to each character.

>All this layering of detail, characterization, foreshadowing and thematic implication
>the most people get out of it is how many girls Severian fucked

There's almost no artwork and Wolfe had nothing to do with any of the cover artists. The descriptions follow Severian and what he sees and feels needs description- to a denizen of Urth there would be no need to write about the mundane, and so Severian doesn't write like a fucking autist doing a dnd campaign.

Here's your reply Bro.

holy fuck you took a shit on that guy

I don't remember Severian sleeping with Foila? Did I miss something?

He means the red headed soldier Sev grabs by the hair while riding in battle.

Half the replies are you not giving a shit hahaha.
Pathetic.

>caring about "world building"

Sorry, completely forgot about her.

Wolfe is a very clever guy, irrepressible scientific and mythological knowledge blended wonderfully with his philosophy and far-future Severian who understands but contextually falls just short of Wolfe's little easter eggs. It's incredibly refreshing to read someone so unshackled by ordinary pitfalls, you get the impression he doesn't read anything but mythology, physics, history and philosophy and developes a unique masterpiece in fiction because of it.

>scientific knowledge
??
dreadful feeling you're saying this because of the pringles. You are, aren't you.

engineering is not science btw

t. engineer

Is physics not science?

>engineering is not science

How, when, why?
What is is then?
Some form of occultism?