Why the fuck do so many online recipes insist on using vague and imprecise measurements like cups or spoons...

Why the fuck do so many online recipes insist on using vague and imprecise measurements like cups or spoons? Is it too fucking hard to write down what you need in grams or ounces? Do all these people lack the common sense to actually measure their ingredients? I'm a Eurofag and I don't have any issue converting imperial to metric, but when it comes to cups I just have to eyeball it and trust my experience, which is not always easy to do when making something new. Why not fucking tell me how much I need instead of giving me a vague hint?

How much is a fucking cup anyway? I've got all kinds of cups, and the difference between a big cup and a small cup is easily 25 to 50%. If you think it's no big deal to bake pastry with 50% too much or too little flour, you obviously lack the intelligence to be trusted to write down any kind of recipe.

Seriously, fuck everyone who thinks "one cup" is an acceptable way of measuring ingredients.

Yes I'm mad.

Other urls found in this thread:

fda.gov/food/guidanceregulation/guidancedocumentsregulatoryinformation/ucm063102.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

lame/10

>How much is a fucking cup anyway?
8oz. A quick Google search could have thwarted your full blown retardation

you have no excuse for this post unless you aren't American

fluid oz != weight oz

8oz of flour on average weighs 4.25oz but it can easily vary +/- 25% depending on how packed it is.

Then only use recipes that have weights. Any decent baking recipe will. If you need exact measurements for any other kind of cooking, you are retarded

The cup as a unit of measurement is stupid, simply because there is no standard size of cup.
(And because no-one here uses it so it confuses the fuck out of people.)

Whereas spoons are standard sized.
>teaspoon (5ml)
>dessert spoon (10ml)
>tablespoon (15ml)

Can be further modified if needed by specifying:
>level - scraped flat with a knife, or is a liquid
>rounded - fill spoon with as much as it will hold, then tap it twice (~double normal measure)
>heaped - fill spoon with as much as it will hold, no tapping (~triple normal measure)

But yes, just saying what actual measures you need in a recipe is superior at all times.

>simply because there is no standard size of cup

I sincerely hope you’re only pretending to be retarded.

>implying everyone lives in the US and uses "cups" as a measurement

>it’s not retarded to make threads complaining about things I don’t understand!
>It doesn’t matter if I could have learned all about it in 5 minutes of Google searches, if I wasn’t taught it in school it doesn’t matter!
>Hurrrrpt durrrrrrr!!!

Why are you fancy Europeans and other well-traveled citizens of the world even using our disgusting American recipes?

So far removed from Imperial measurements. A cup, a teaspoon. You know what a pint of beer is, don't you? Is a gallon of milk ringing any bells for you?

Grams are fine for measuring out cocaine, but for cooking, you use cups, teaspoons, and gallons.

A cup is 8oz dude.

I thought cups were mostly a UK thing.

Fluid ounces, which are useless when measuring something like flour.

Do you even bake?

I don't, I filter out US recipes because of the silly measurements.

Not at all. It's a stupid way of measuring things. Especially if you're baking when you need to be exact.

I wish Veeky Forums had flags so I could filter out your posts

Too bad it's hard to find recipes in english that don't use ameridumb measurements.

Cookbook authors in thhe US need to cater to the victims of both the public school system and the imperial measurements.

There are a large number of troglodytes in the US who are scared of anything new even when it's demonstrably better. They view anything different from the ol' timey ways as an atheist, communist jewish conspiracy. I'm an amerilard and just convert the nonsensical imperial to metric weights.

cups are a standardized measure retard

do you have major ocd or something user?

1 cup = 240 mL
fda.gov/food/guidanceregulation/guidancedocumentsregulatoryinformation/ucm063102.htm

I cant image a recipe that requires such an exact amount of onion that it would matter.

My country also uses 'cups.' One cup is a quarter of a litre. A 'teacup' is half of that. A 'coffee cup' is half of a teacup.
Then again, I think we're one of the few who prefer hg (hectogram/ettogrammo) over kg. Things are sold at €1/hg rather than €10/kg, for example. You go to the butcher and ask for 4hg of mince rather than 0,4 kg.