I'm extremely self-conscious and care about what other people think of me. Books to get over this?

I'm extremely self-conscious and care about what other people think of me. Books to get over this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WY08aXxor20
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

is there a book for that? i think it's just a matter of getting old enough that you realize that you're pretty much stuck the way you are and owning that shit and saying fuck em all or killing yourself.

I'm hoping there is. I mean reading Schopenhauer certainly enhanced my view of "the world is trash and people suck", which helps.

Maybe some fiction like No Longer Human that helps me relate, or something along the line.

maybe more negativity isn't what you need right now, you know?

Can't escape it now, I'm deep down the rabbit hole and am also interested on violent themes anyhow. It's not really that related, though, if anything it helps - "they're wrong, not you". Just looking for, philosophical "nothing matters, just do whatever" texts, cases of people who went against the wave, kind of stuff... my dream book is reading on how celebrities deal with backlash. I'm looking into obtaining the fappening leaks just to feel their shame on my body.

startin to sound like you're in
"an hero" territory. think you might want to try to listen to some smooth jazz, have a joint, and maybe afterwards have a bath in some candles, maybe read some douglas adams. reddit stuff, you know? i'm being serious. don't keep on like this, it's literally never too late.
people matter, and so do you. you are not separate from us and detachment is not the core of any worthwhile experience. escape from this, there's no reason to torment yourself or potentially others like this.

>in some candles
yes, scorch your skin with boiling wax, that's a good plan, no, i mean take a bath with candles lit around.

E.M. Cioran has some good, "fuck all that shit" in a few of his books. Or you can go full Stoic.

You sound pathetic and insecure. Read the Nichomachean Ethics and the Meditations. Make yourself a better person and learn to value only your own judgments of your character.

Read Sartre and think "if he's willing to embarrass himself this much, then I can embarrass myself a little.

Hey OP, I'm 20 and I used to think like you, thinking philosophy and intelectuality was the way to achieve the answer to my rumination, social anxiety and depression, but it only confused me and got me deeper into the hole.

I tried medicine and it stopped working after a while and when I entered college I got to the point where I found that I didn't need that shit, basically felt cured. But once again I fell into a hole of misery and self-loathing. I was very reticent of psychologists and psychiatrists and any kind of therapy... but I decided since I was in such a low point (around this year's january) that I might as well try Mindfulness which was apparently a big thing.

I was very doubtful that it would kind of blue pill me and I would fall into a mediocre mindset against what I believed philosophy would be there to guide me, however, I believe in philosophy there's no better thing than this now.

Basically Mindfulness changed my life and instead of always being mired in wondering what is it that's wrong with me, I ended up accepting myself in the process and now I have the opportunity to experience tons of more things in life, such as meeting new people to talk about things I like, philosophy and literature, reading more books, doing more things I was so afraid of doing before.

So check picture related even if it seems corny, if the cover is ugly, or if you have any prejudice "It surely is some stupid buddhism or self-help bullshit", if you want to discover that really the way you already think about your problems (i.e. that you are actually wrong in some way and you NEED to change, when that's completely untrue), then give it the chance and dedication it deserves.

This one is more practically-oriented, but you might also want to look at The Mindful Way through Depression- Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness (Mark Williams, John D. Teasdale, Zindel Segal & Jon Kabat-Zinn, 2007).
Here's a video as well youtube.com/watch?v=WY08aXxor20

>I believe in philosophy there's no better thing than this now.
You have to be fucking kidding me.

On a more serious note, how long+frequently did you practice this stuff before you got a grasp on it? I did a mindfulness support group thing for three months on recommendation from my therapist and I still can't get anything out of any of it that helps me day-to-day.

Unironically Ayn Rand

philosophy of andy warhol

>You have to be fucking kidding me.
Fine, that's an overstatement. But what I'm trying to say is that when it comes to moral philosophical systems, I believe it is as best as you are going to get without committing to a very solid lifestyle and way of thinking (of course, I'm thinking in full Buddhism or Stoicism for example... I don't have the commitment to fully become of either right now because my lifestyle currently prevents me to, but now that I practice mindfulness daily, I am starting to actually be able to delve into more solid things like Greek thought and stoicism, I love Seneca).
So it is a kind of 'adapted Buddhism' or 'Stoicism' in a loose sense in that it takes its roots and influence from them. It is sort of the western Buddhism Zizek criticizes. The advantage is that it is scientifically proven and you don't need to subscribe to a specific philosophy.

>how long+frequently did you practice this stuff before you got a grasp on it?
I started in January-February as I said, and the first 3 months I didn't see any clear result desu. I was also attending to college meanwhile, but after I took to practicing this by myself and finished the program, I immediately saw the fruits of practice.
I practice an hour at least daily and I'm constantly re-reading, doing the exercises, reading other Mindfulness books on Social Anxiety.

Basically the metaphor on the image is something I remind myself every time I'm outside or whatever and instead of fearing what others think of myself, I go by pretty nonchalant and this fear disappears... it's nothing more than a fear and thoughts are mental events only, I don't buy into fears anymore.

Once you know the Mindfulness practice, just read The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Social Anxiety and Shyness (Jan E. Fleming, Nancy L. Kocovski, 2013) and you will practically find the techniques for your specific phobia.

>desu
Ignore that, it wasn't intended.

Sounds like you haven't read the Greeks. I recommend reading the Greeks.

You need Woodcutters by Thomas Bernhard

/thread/
you will never be a real man if you don't read the greeks

stoicism - seneca, epictetus, marcus aurelius

"sermons of a buddhist abbot" and "zen mind, beginner's mind"

tao te ching and zhuangzi

if that doesn't work, eat five grams of psilocybin mushrooms and lay in your bed in the dark

you could've skipped all that shit and just started meditating. my therapist gave me the DBT workbook and while it's a good resource for desperate people who legitimately want to change, it took me ten months to realize i could achieve the same thing by just taking some time out each day to just sit and watch my fucking breath for a while. we make everything so complicated when it's actually stupidly simple.

thanks guys, please keep them coming, and the water running.

Don't get over this. You should care about what others think of you. It's what makes you improve.

This. Also Letters to Lucilius. Then MacIntyre's After Virtue and von Wright's Varieties of Goodness.

Nice taste OP, but foxbase beta is definitely the better album.

Well, I had been doing Autogenic Training before and, although it helped immensely, I definitely needed something to alight me on my process of thinking. I could ground myself down, but that didn't help me with ruminations and anxiety in the moment they happened. So I guess it works different for everyone.

im hoping with practice it will all go away.
just swallow my fears and do it