God doesn't exi-

>God doesn't exi-

>-t our world.

pascal's wager is such bullshit, believing in god just in case? like omniscient lord on high isn't gonna fuckin know you're insincere? what a shitty philosophical idea to have your name tied to.

its only 1 chapter its just history of philosophy shitters who blew it out of proportion

is there anything else that he offers? i don't mean to seem an atheist, i just get frustrated with people who use greed to justify their faith.

Epicurus BTFO religion two millennia ago, just stop.

Epicurus has a fair point to be angry with god in the scope of human logic. God has the luxury of his eternal traits to exist beyond the realm of our sensibilities. what we know to be evil is limited to our mortal fallibility. what blame falls upon god is another example of excusing our own fallibility. even in our realm of logic, god has no obligation to enforce our skewed sense of morality.
to myself, i ask what trade is worthy of the rape pf a child? to which i respond that there is no trade, and the rape is an act of man.

blaming a god for our own incompetence is just another tool to fulfill our further incompetence.

So what's the point in worshiping some faggot who is so beyond us? Sure, Epicurus doesn't exactly disprove the existence of God but even if one exist, he/she/it is clearly cool with people suffering, do we need to know and understand the reasons to disagree with that?

>and the rape is an act of man
The man was still ultimately created by God and allowed to rape a kid by God too. If you see a kid getting raped right in-front of you and do nothing, why should anyone worship you?

I'm not op btw just currently reading pensees. The book is actually hundreds of mostly aphorisms which consist of variously of justifications, critique of other philosophies, his own short moral aphorisms interspersed randomly with classical & biblical quotes, and random thoughts about how you should properly live in the world.
Its an excellent book and its enjoyable being able to connect with the psychology of pascal, the book is a collection of notes for an apology which he was never able to right. Theres a lot in there

god doesn't owe anybody anything faggot, nor is there any reason god should be anyone particular way or another, that's simply a god created by man and yet even so we have a good god. Human justice is an oxymoron but thankfully human crimes only exist in this world which is like a dream and divine justice is meted out in eternity

It's just proves that believing in God is/can be a rational thing to do. It's not an argument to prove his existence

to worship someone that is beyond us is to pay respect to he that creates. to place blame on him for that which we do as his creations is to absolve ourselves of blame.
the rape of a child is not his creation, merely the parts of his creation acting of their volition. do you blame colt directly for the deaths perpetrated by his gun? of course not. you would be foolish to blame the creator of a tool rather than the one who weilds it. perhaps our failure instead is that we do not prevent the rape ourselves, no? we have the capability to do so, and yet we do not., down to the very rapist themselves. this impotence is not the fault of our creator.
look, i get it. but the complaint is just as unsatisfying as the response. to whine that god permits is to whine to that which we cannot understand, and about which we of our own volition can prevent. it's a demand of god that is of realms we cannot comprehend to save us from ourselves in our resentment of our weakness. it solves nothing by shrugging off blame. to worship a god despite the sufferings his creations perpetrate is to worship that which is beyond ourselves for the pursuit of strength to prevent perpetrations of our own accord.

thank you!

So why worshiping God then? He/she/it doesn't give any fucks about our well being here, doesn't owe us shit and doesn't explain his/her/it's motivation. Might as well ignore the guy.

>to pay respect to he that creates
Why? The creations are clearly flawed, so he/she/it didn't do a great job. Besides, if we should take blame for all the bad things, why not take credit for all the good ones too? In that case God would be even more obsolete.

>to worship that which is beyond ourselves for the pursuit of strength to prevent perpetrations of our own accord
Any idea would do the job then.

not any idea fulfills as the worship of god, but plenty ideas attempt to do so, not surprising that many ideologies clash as a result and lead only to more suffering.
in terms of His creations being flawed, that requires you to know the purpose of our creation, which i doubt you purport to know, and in terms of our positive deeds, yes, we should take credit of our good deeds in the limited scope of our human logic, though our creation itself is not something to attribute to our own deeds, hence worshipping the creator. look, you don't have to worship he who creates, it is an act of appreciation by a select few that feel fulfillment in doing so. whether or not you can lead a just life by your own or other mortal guidelines of morality is quite honestly up to you.

it's as if your a child and your parents go out to the shops for a couple hours and has your older siblings mind you, and a few moments in you see your older sister give your brother a titty twister so you stand up between them and passionately declare that your parents don't exist and if they do they don't care about you.

And obviously not any idea will do, least of all hedonism which is thwarted in the character of the sadist

Any as in "any that works for a particular person". We haven't been doing too bad with humanism, and as for suffering, come on. It's hard to top the horrors people suffered because of religion.

>in terms of His creations being flawed
Well, they are flawed for our world and understanding, which seems the most practical criteria for judging. Someone getting raped might get rewarded later for it to make up all the suffering or whatever but it's not particularly useful when a big dick slides down your throat.

> it is an act of appreciation by a select few that feel fulfillment in doing so. whether or not you can lead a just life by your own or other mortal guidelines of morality is quite honestly up to you.
That's a sensible and practical position but not exactly what the holy book is telling us.

In that case the parents would be at fault with shitty judgement to leave you with your dumb siblings instead of getting a babysitter. So while they do exist and might care about you, they aren't very good at it, and probably not deserving of trust in their judgement, assuming it wasn't a singular mistake.

>It's hard to top the horrors people suffered because of religion
>hard to top
Are you retarded

>shitty judgement
why? would a creation more to your liking being a world of soulless, mindless automatons lacking free will that just go through the motions.

well, those ideas are satisfying to the extent that the human identity can muster. i will concede that as a man like you i am often attracted by many ideas, many serve their purpose of pleasing me in my short time here, but none fulfill me like praising and wallowing. perhaps it is a masochistic effort, in would not blame you for thinking so, i was at one time adamantly atheistic. i have found that in my life, limited as it is, there is not enough time or will to catch up with worship in its fulfillment. that is a value statement i unabashedly make on my own two knees, i beg, i worship, i wallow, i seek a type of wish fulfiment, but that is not what ultimately serves as the catalyst for my continued worship. rather it is the dissatisfaction with the idealogues, the idols, the order we have built for ourselves, the sense of form always seems skewed, i do see somewhere in my heart, my mind, where ever, whatever cliche, some sort of unavoidable order, some unmitigated source of spirit. that is what i take as my calling. this probably isn't compelling for you, since it is a joirney i made alone to reach. it is yours to make alone with god.

i will agree wholeheartedly that we are flawed from our own perspective. i feel and identify with your assessment that we are horrifying monsters each of us, capable of inflicting terrible deeds. it still does not address that our capabilities to construct models of morality, reason, logic are limited to our mortality, and that our purpose itself in existence is not comprehensible. our purpose left unsolved, we cannot claim by an ultimate standard that we are in any way flawed.

to your last point, i do not claim to follow god through the writings in the bible, they are ultimately the works of man and thus inherently not the word of god though inspired they may be. in my own experience, it was an arduous task to find god. it was not splayed out in some rulebook, no map to find my center in him. it was pursuit and toil. i don't pretend that i even make any sense any more, but that is a curse of leaving your spirit contingent on the basis of that which has never been human or of human comprehension. it is something admittedly far beyond me. it eludes me even now, and imam sad i cannot share it.

i just want you to know i have the exact same thoughts and doubts that you have. i just one day felt that god may not rest in the conventional places one looks, not determined by corrupt priests, or vapid books. a personal god, though cliche is the only one i can offer anyone, as ultimately unsatisfying as it will inevitably be.

>a world of soulless, mindless automatons lacking free will that just go through the motions.
vs
>a world created by an alien we're incapable of understanding that observes as the creations are abusing each other, while promising improvement based on you following rules that aren't explained

Neither sound too appealing but at least the former scenario eventually offers the possibility to eliminate suffering altogether and reprogramming of the drones while the latter promises to give the suffering a purpose. And well, at least from my limited perspective, the formed does sound like a better deal.

Yeah, it's definitely not my cup of tea but whatever works is good enough based on the fact that it works. We could argue about the different conclusions of our journeys but in the end there is no arguing that nothing else gave you the same fulfillment. Your post definitely helped me to get a better understanding of the "why", so thank you for that and I can empathize and agree with most of it too. Although when it comes to purpose ... not comprehensible and unsolved are both fitting descriptions, assuming it exists at all. It just seems so humane to assign purpose, though I guess it's also humane to claim lack of purpose for something we don't understand.

thought you were any edgy 14 year but know i see that you are my nigga

-st