twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

JR

Sterne, Tristram Shandy
Molière's complete works
Terence's complete works
Cervantes, Don Quixote
Voltaire's short stories

A confederacy of dunces.
Easily the smartest comedy I've ever read and you'll be smirking at how smart you are for getting the obscure references.

I forgot most of Swift's works, Diderot's Neveu de Rameau, etc.

>swift
>high brow
I don't know about that one. A lot of his humor was literal shit jokes and the rest was about menstruation.

It's not entirely high-brow (it's a mix of high-brow and somewhat lower-tier humor), but still among the best books ever written.

It depends on which books, I guess. Modest Proposal was rather high-brow as far as I remember.

The Sot-Weed Factor

There's a lot of poop humor too, but it's probably one of the most consistently clever and hilarious books I've ever read.

I was one of the few people in my class who got almost all the jokes.

man i was a sensitive lad when i first read this. got so butthurt about him trying to save the prostitute. i burned the book in my edgy glory. going to take it up again soon, in recompense, i will flagellate during my absorption of barh's decadent entertainment.

Kill yourself

Jeeves & Wooster

My diary desu

Swift wrote a treatise on excrement under the pen-name of "Dr. Shit".

>got so butthurt about him trying to save the prostitute.
why?

can someone please explain the joke in the image please? i never got it.

It is a prevalent communist propaganda joke throughout the series showing the rampant horrors of global capitalism wherein springfield local businesses are bought out by a corporate monolith called 'sneed's' which corners markets and hikes the prices of everyday goods in order to turn a higher profit. Pretty simple desu

It's a reference to the 1987 Chuck v. Purina case. Chuck's Feed and Seed fought a legal battle against Ralston Purina Company, a farming supplies manufacturer.
law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F2/810/1289/355541/

Chuck's Feed and Seed store was owned by Charles Ray Chuck Lambert of Summerville, SC, who died 2006.
legacy.com/obituaries/charleston/obituary.aspx?n=charles-lambert&pid=18721697

Robert D. Sneed established a business in Summerville in the year 2000 (around the time the Simpsons episode aired), might have been the takeover of Chuck's store
manta.com/c/mtcd8hr/robert-d-sneed

Sneed bought a store that rhymed with his name. It's a funny coincidence he'd buy a store called Chuck's Feed & Seed.

I was just about to post this

This.
Majorly underrated on Veeky Forums

It used to be Chuck's Fuck and Suck you psued

dude, that sword handle looks like an erect cock.

woha, thanks.

That's just you projecting.

But I'm you

Infinite Jest is funny
contrarians will deny

Ze Bible

Hipsters don't actually read DFW, besides his This is Water speech

Infinite Jest is very funny way - not even because of the actual content, just the way DFW spins the absurd humorous moments in a very believable way

nabokov

This and only this.

hi dad

rabelais

Glad there's finally some discussion about Confederacy of Dunces on lit. I read an old copy from an uncle and couldn't believe how similar Ignatius was to an average Veeky Forums poster - decades before the internet. People like Nagle can't view Veeky Forums when it's right in front of them but this fucking no-name NEET was able to capture the spirit of something that he could never imagine existing.

>Glad there's finally some discussion about Confederacy of Dunces
theres more than one new thread a week, newfag

There's a thread every other week that gets eighteen replies before dying; compared to Harris, Peterson, or whatever public-intellectual-of-the-month who will have five active threads that consistently hit 300. Confederacy of Dunces is a far more helpful piece of fiction than some stuttering YouTuber.