Have any of you had real caviar? Was it worth the money?

Have any of you had real caviar? Was it worth the money?

No. Yes.

Only if you squish the eggs against your testicles.

haha. funny memes

Yes. No.

I think it'd be amazing. A perverse indulgence.

Yes. It is the perfect food. In a small portion you will get a mouth full of flavours that lasts for very long. Its a memory to treasure. And it is worth the price.

And no. Its just a very flavourful experience and nothing else. You can get a full meal for the same price. Why spend so much money on something a little bit better than regular caviar?

The problem is not getting enough caviar but getting enough toast points to go with it.

Yes I have had it. Was it worth the money? Probably to someone that likes it. I was just indifferent to the experience.
If I dislike some kind of food though, I don't express this by telling people it "wasn't worth the money". That is not why it tastes bad. It tastes bad because it's salty little fish eggs, or whatever.
Giving a reason for not liking something solely based on cost makes you sound really poor, user. So poor in fact, that you don't ever intend to be able to afford the item in question.
"Not worth the money" = "I will never be able to afford to have the habit of enjoying that product, so why try?"

I can see your point, However in the case of caviar where the price is mostly based on scarcity, difficulty of harvesting, and public image I think the question of being worth it Is a good one for the average consumer

It's really good but only really worth the money to say you've tried it and not worry that your missing out or anything

Never bought a tin but had it several times at restaurants as part of dishes. I'd say yes, its worth the money.

mr. Bond? Would you care to step this way, sir?

Yes. No.

The thing that strikes me is that many caviar eaters don't understand or appreciate similar shit. Imagine a dude who only eats fillet mignion, but never even tries prime rib, or new york steaks.

That also reminds me. It's fucking Ikura don time.

Thinking small. The real fun is if you eat it off somone's testicles. Or vice versa.

Good to see that literary reference wasn't wasted.
Bravo, user.

Parents had a tiny jar of it when I was a kid. No idea how much it cost but it was ok. Kinda gritty and you pop the eggs on your tongue for little bursts of less flavorful juices and more grittiness. Was not really old enough to appreciate what I was eating but still pretty sure it's not worth all the fuss.

I've had caviar. I can't afford caviar, so it is worth zero to me, so that is what I pay for caviar, so I get zero caviar of course.
Beyond the bare necessities of life, nothing is 'worth' it, it's all a matter of how much enjoyment you can derive from spending a given amount of money. And that is strictly personal.
I would choose a tin of caviar over an equivalent amount of movie tickets. I would not pick caviar over blowjobs. Or black truffles.

Growing up in russia, my parents knew people at the source of it, so 1-liter mason jars of red- and black caviar were commonplace at the table, especially on holidays

I hated it
Maybe it was just the way it was prepared (red caviar on buttered baguette, black on buttered dark rye bread or with garlic and roasted eggplant), but i never felt the urge to try it again since then, especially looking at the price

crispy fried caviar from crucian carps is awsome though.

yes. no.

Rather a few times throughout my career
I wasn't paying so couldn't answer, but would suggest that it isn't worth it unless you've an intimate familiarity with the nuances of other fish roes

Depends on the type honestly, but if you're someone who actually likes it then yes.