Women can't wri-

How can someone write such sublime, goose bump inducing prose?

I recently read Mrs Dalloway. Haven't read Ulysses, but litfags seem to think that Woolf made a cheap rip-off. Either way, I enjoyed the book, although there was something overly tedious in every fucking paragraph. Maybe Woolf just wanted to make a stream of consciousness prose for underqualified fags.

The Iliad references though... you don't even know they're references.

Just dont pay attention to the authors name.

nobody says women can't write

have you ever talked to another person about literature

>not knowing local meme history
you have to go back, but fair enough
>not having ever read To The Lighthouse
you sparkling dingus

Pickle Rick?

>The Iliad references in Dalloway
what

>No man will ever top the beauty of The Waves

why even write?

>No Woman will ever again come close to the beauty of The Waves
Why even try?

all memes aside she is absolute garbage

she is a better writer than you will ever be

You can't even write a proper post.

please never describe prose like that again

I've never read any Woolf. What should I start with?

Women can write pretty prose and paint pretty pictures, sure. Will they ever be capable of something like Moby Dick or Crime and Punishment? I doubt it.

Checked. I think I'll be finishing Mrs Dalloway rather quickly, anything to read after??

Too bad there isn't any substance to her writing.
>dude enjoy the pleasures of life and notice the small things around you

Woolf > Tolstoyveskies everywhere

The real challenge is naming a good female author who's straight

Mary Ann Evans
Mary Shelley
Sylvia Plath (I think)

roasties getting toasty

I'd like to see her write a better one.

>projecting this much

Sylvia Path is garbage. Mary Shelley received help from her infinitely more talented husband. As for George Eliot:

>George Eliot (pen name of Mary Anne or Marian Evans) had formed intense friendships with women in her youth. In April 1849 she wrote to Sara Hennell, ‘I have given you a sad excuse for flirtation, but I have not been beyond seas long enough to make it lawful for you to take a new husband – therefore I come back to you with all a husband’s privileges and command you to love me’. Such passages were omitted from the letters quoted by Eliot’s husband when he wrote her biography in 1885 (Johnson 1989).

She was a crypto-dyke.

Even the literal perfect goddess whose work I worship, Flannery O'Connor, had a thing with Betty Hester.

>Mary Shelley received help from her infinitely more talented husband.

See my impression was always that Percy was the beta of the marriage. Frankenstein is better than all of his stuff. Also didn't she cuck him with Byron?

It's time for you to find a new hobby

>Frankenstein is better than all of his stuff.
What the fuck? Pick up your collected works of Percy Bysshe Shelley and read it again

The edition without Percy's meddling is far better. He tried to water he down, good think she probably ducked him with Byron.

And Sylvia Plath is a great poet whose skill is commendable whether or not you like confessional verse.

Dear christ, my typos

Even though she was a neet shut-in, maybe Emily Dickinson?

>And Sylvia Plath is a great poet
She really isn't. Sorry.

Are you an anti-free verse tard or anti-confessional?

I'm not anti-anything. She was the kind of poet you would expect to find skimming a professional magazine, but that was about it. She was good, not great. Didn't have the sublime and original spark in her and I don't see how you think she did.

>I need you more and more, and the great world grows wider, and dear ones fewer and fewer, every day that you stay away — I miss my biggest heart; my own goes wandering round, and calls for Susie — Friends are too dear to sunder, Oh they are far too few, and how soon they will go away where you and I cannot find them, don’t let us forget these things, for their remembrance now will save us many an anguish when it is too late to love them! Susie, forgive me Darling, for every word I say — my heart is full of you, none other than you is in my thoughts, yet when I seek to say to you something not for the world, words fail me. If you were here — and Oh that you were, my Susie, we need not talk at all, our eyes would whisper for us, and your hand fast in mine, we would not ask for language — I try to bring you nearer, I chase the weeks away till they are quite departed, and fancy you have come, and I am on my way through the green lane to meet you, and my heart goes scampering so, that I have much ado to bring it back again, and learn it to be patient, till that dear Susie comes. Three weeks — they can’t last always, for surely they must go with their little brothers and sisters to their long home in the west!

Letter Dickinson sent to her """friend""" and sister-in-law Susan Huntington Gilbert

And I don't see how you don't, but that's whatever. I'd recommend going through Arial again if you could without scoffing.

Our culture lost something big when we stopped sending love letters and started considering romantic notions of love to be naive. I wish I could talk to someone like this.

>philia = eros

if you cant read, let alone interpret text in a coherent and reasoned way, how am i supposed to respect your judgment

you dont even need to bring in biographical or historical context to know this is at best a single tenuous piece of evidence that she was gay

There's an academic debate going on about the nature of their relationship and whether or not there was an erotic component to it. This isn't something I just pulled out of my ass.

Also, stop being autistic. I was just contradicting that guy, not making a serious case about her sexuality.

hehe I like this pic

Where are the fart jokes? Could she tell apart Susie's farts from a collection of farts in a room? This is pretty bland to be honest. Also, no mention of ribbing or plugging or not even a casual Sunday afternoon 69.

Heh! It's clear to me women can't write.

>he doesn't know that the greatest chapter of Frankenstein is a prose version of a Percy Shelley poem

>dude enjoy the pleasures of life and notice the small things around you
Except for the part where she approves suicide as a viable solution.
Yeah, and Oscar Wilde, Yukio Mishima, Shakespeare, Kafka, Thomas Mann were totally straight.
>b-but my rumor theories
Yeah, almost forgot rumors only apply to males.
>Mary Shelley received help from her infinitely more talented husband
Yes, and The Great Gatsby was written by Zelda Fitzgerald.
>female writers are not a real writers because they are gay
>Sylvia Plath is garbage
Plath's husband was an abusive psycho who made her kill herself, made his next wife kill their daughter and then kill herself, and made his son with Plath kill himself. Yet, 50 years later his children's literature work is studied in colleges all around the world. Is he not a real writer?

I don't see how user's point is that they aren't real writers, rather that you should only read one if you have proof she likes women, sexually

Almost forgot Plato. he wasn't gay, he just had a thing for intercrural sausage to sausage.

>I don't see how user's point is that they aren't real writers.
You are right, that wasn't his point. He doesn't even have a point. And I don't understand the second part of your post.

You know it's like that quote that goes, if they bring you home and don't have a library, don't fuck 'em, well here it could be that what user suggests is, if they don't fuck em, don't bring them home in your library

All you're proving is that being gay makes you more talented whether you're a man or a woman. My theory's looking pretty strong right now.

I fall on the Mary Shelley side of the authorship debate, but there actually is an authorship debate. It's not a conspiracy theory on the level of Einstein's wife.

I don't see how Path's husband's work is relevant to the discussion. Looks like you're just trying to attack men.

>Shakespeare
u wot m8

Shakespeare was a fag. Read sonnet 20

Yes, and?

>Except for the part where she approves suicide as a viable solution.
Yeah, you are right.
It's more like
>Escape all your life problems by constantly engaging in inconsequential trivialities

To The Lighthouse is an achievement on the level of Ulysses or Moby Dick. Mrs Dalloway and Orlando are hot trash but To The Lighthouse is an unreal masterwork that will be passed down the centuries.

Haven't read the Waves yet so can't comment on that. Also qt profile.

If you think that being an aesthete constitutes lack of substance you must really hate Proust and pretty much all poetry

But they can't tbqh
Emerson's most hackneyed phrases are worth woolf's entire bibliography

A few lines of Blake has more substance than ten novels released today, dont even go there.

Lesbians and ugly women make good writers because they're treated like men by society. If you can't support yourself by finding a good husband, you have to find other methods of making it.

Virginia wasn't that ugly nor was she a lesbian. So what is your point?

Woolf was an aristocrat who wanted for nothing and got a top notch husband, but keep spouting armchair sociology

She had a lesbian affair with Vita Sackville-West

>wasn't ugly
Look at any other picture of her that isn't the one OP posted.

Dude, most women are bisexual by nature. Add to that some depression, angst, and soul-searching, and almost all of them will have lustful thoughts of women. A non-straight woman is just a woman who has done enough self-reflection on her life.

I wouldn't consider her any uglier than the average English woman of her time. She looks a little off but not terrible.
Also see

>can change sexual orientation on a whim
>can love people intensely in ways that aren't sexual
>masturbates to erotic literature as opposed to pictures and videos
Were women the true patricians all along?

It's not that they can change sexual orientation on a whim. No one can do that. They are attracted to characteristics or types that can be expressed by both sexes.

Confidence, strength, courage, dominance, protectiveness, rationality, etc. are the characteristics most women like. They are most commonly found in men but women can have them too.

Then there is another type of woman, the "lesbian", although she may not exclusively like girls, but her "type" is: empathy, compassion, submissiveness, devotion, emotional, caring, wants to be protected, etc.
These are most commonly found in other women, but of course men can display these things as well.

Then the physical, sex characteristics also play a role. But the behavioral characteristics take first priority.
Men put the physical first, then the behavioral, like the plebs you are

who let /u/ out of its cage

>Then the physical, sex characteristics also play a role. But the behavioral characteristics take first priority.
Does this mean that uggos like me have shot?

Edith Wharton's fucking great. The Age of Innocence broke my heart desu