Starting with the Sumerians

Just finished reading this. Is there any other worthwhile Sumerian literature? Or should I just jump straight into the Greeks?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_Gilgamesh#Standard_Akkadian_version
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That Gilgamesh is Akkadian you dumb pleb
No, you have to read "Collected Mesopotamian Texts and Fragments" in three volumes (bilingual Loeb edition). Then, read "The Tale of Sinuhe and Other Ancient Egyptian Poems 1940-1640 BC" and "The Book of the Dead" from ancient Egypt. Introduce yourself to the Indians with integral Mahabharata (tr. Bibek Debroy, 10 volumes), Ramajana, Panchatantra and The Vedas. Only then you may learn ancient Greek and study the Greek poetry, history and philosophy.

There are both Sumerian and Akkadian tablets so it could be classified as either.

Someone made this chart a few days ago.

The main text is Akkadian. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_Gilgamesh#Standard_Akkadian_version

m8 literally none of that shit is needed to understand european literature

>being this eurocentric

Oh, so OP actually wants to dive deeply into Persian literature, right? I mean, fuck Shakespeare and fuck european people.

Start with the Simians

It's only the main text in the context that it's the most complete version since it's easier to find and translate. The poem itself is Sumerian.

>I mean, fuck Shakespeare and fuck european people.

No one said that, user. You don't need to be so flustered about it.

>That Gilgamesh is Akkadian you dumb pleb
:|

Better version

Why would I read about another culture without an advanced understanding of my own first?
Starting with anything but the Greeks is stupid.

Who said anything about European lit? The chart is literally about the ancient near east.

Good post.

Ah, a boolean. They usually inhabit the straw universe. Apparently some did manage to find their way here.

How can you understand the Greeks if you don't understand the cultures they aped?

dont bother with the autist, he wont admit he was wrong

The Greeks themselves, the contemporaries of Pericles, knew nothing about these cultures; like the 25 centuries of readers who followed them. And that went just fine.

Greece is a shithole today fuck you on about dumbass.

Also you're not a classical man. Pericles would be ashamed of you.

> few days ago
> literally saved this last month

Hero's journey though. Too uncanny to be pure coincidence

What a dumb negro.

Persian poetry about wine and pederasts is absolutely God-tier, my man