Has anyone read it? Even one person? Not even one? No one? Well, then has anyone read any Schmidt at all...

Has anyone read it? Even one person? Not even one? No one? Well, then has anyone read any Schmidt at all? Is he worth getting into or just german madness/autism?

I have read some Schmidt in translation. Didn't see the big deal because I'm uncooperative when I detect autism.

Sebastian did in the original german

No. Believe me. It's a meme. It's about nothing but madness. You're will waste your time less reading public restroom insriptions.

It's not autism, it's just a buncha goofy sex puns with the layout of II.2 in Finnegans Wake
hes playin a goober, have fun with it

his novels aren't "mad" at all. I enjoyed most of them (but I think being German helped)

you should compare ZT to Finnegans Wake in this matter and not restrain from giving the rest of his stuff a try

but what exactly is the point of reading 1000 pages of dense goofy sex puns

it's like you hate fun or something

a lot of people read it, just not on Veeky Forums cause Veeky Forums is filled with pseuds

>just not on Veeky Forums cause Veeky Forums is filled with pseuds
except for you, right my man? :')

It's mostly just Freud retold in a needlessly complicated style. And some Freudian interpretations of Joyce and his life.

Die Gelehrtenrepublik, also by Schmidt, is much more enjoyable.

It's best to approach it like eavesdropping at a bar on a Tuesday afternoon. You can't pick up all the details but occasionally you hear a funny turn of phrase or some amusing, nasty remarks. Treating it like a traditional novel that needs to be read end to end is silly. You can pick up at any point in the work and figure your way through. The joy of reading it comes from being able to adapt to the style and then riding the wave Schmidt created for you.

its really dope

lmao this is such a canned explanation for difficult literature i dont believe anyone who says it

lmao bro

you're an unbearable pseud

the Woods translation is incredible desu. I often bust it out while sipping some fine single malt, for a good chortle. The formatting alone is a pleasure for the eyes, i rec it hard, good meme.

so in other words, you've never read it

bump

fuck u

Haven't read it. No reason to. It's a gimmick, a flimsy, capriciously written post-modern quirktome of no real meaning or value to the reader, regardless of his or her education. It is written by the author for the author, and it signifies nothing but his ability to out-obfuscate his contemporaries.

I use it as a stool in my bathroom when I brush my teeth.

>german tribute band to Joyce plays their rendition of Finnegans Wake

It's p. good

>I haven't read it but if I had I bet it would be like this
Veeky Forums in one post

shut the fuck up bitch

Fuck you

Does anyone have an epub or pdf? English or German, I don't mind.

german madness/autism

bumping for this

>that pic
Nigga what

Is there actually an answer to that?

By knowing that Albert knows Bernard doesn't know the birthday, Bernard finds out when it is.

We can rule out May 19 and June 18 because that would mean Albert would have known outright from the list.

This is hard and I don't have time to complete my train of thought, someone continue please

This is exactly how far I got, but got stuck after that

>10 possible dates
>it could be literally any other day
>they still dont know

fuck that shit.

It's the other way around, Albert knows the month. So he is saying that I don't know, but I know that you don't either because it can't be either the May 19 or the June 18.

So, the Months can't be May or June, bc in those months there would be a possibility of Bernard knowing the date.

It has to be a July or August date. But how does that mean that now they automatically both know? It can't be July or August 14, because that would make them confused.

So I've narrowed it down to 3 dates, July 16 and August 15 or 17. But now, it appears that any one of those dates could be considered right. Anyone has any clue on how to narrow it down further?

bumping for "bumping for this "

Well then it has to be july 16, for it to make sense. Bernard says he now knows, and when he knows, albert knows. That means it has to be the one remainig date in july. If it was in august there would be no way for albert to know which of the two remaining august dates was correct

I've finally found the fucking answer.

It's July 16th.

If you want to know the reasoning, give me a (You).

Yeah, you are right.

:D

It's August 17th you fucking retards. Is this board only populated by children or what?

Wrong.

that is how he ended in the loony bin

(You), Claudius.

So THATS how he manages to read so much. If you're reading this Sebastian, you better become the next Ezra Pound or you'll have let all of Veeky Forums down

ur a p cool dude desu

>Albert knows that Bernard doesn't know, because the only way for Bernard to know would be to have a number that never comes twice, and unique numbers only come for June and May
>hence it cannot be 18 or 19, and it cannot be May or June
>only the five last dates (all July and August) remain
>Bernard uses this reasoning and the fact that he knows at least suggests that it's not 14, since he wouldn't know if it's July or August then
>only July 16, August 15 and August 17 remain
>Albert now knows because he's been said the only month with one choice left: July

Answer: July 16. Feels orgasmic to have a functioning brain.

This guygot it.

So, after narrowing it down, Albert automatically knows what the date is, and for that to happen, he couldn't be in doubt between the two August dates, so it has to be July 16.

read all of it (in english), pretty good but don't know if I'd recommend it

pic related, he didn't recommend it